Hotas Warthog Priced

I cant wait til it goes on sale, finally a joystick that is plug and pray with lockon/dcs, instead of sitting at your pc for about a month making and tweaking a profile, only to do the same thing over and over again each and everytime you format your pc.

It takes me roughly 1-2 months to make a complete profile and to remember where all the keys are, as I first off make a preliminary one, then I game with it and then start tweaking it over the space of those 2 months, I then finally have a working profile that I love, only for something to happen that makes me format my pc.

Instead of saving the profiles like I always remind myself to do, I forget and end up having to do the same profile making all over again, the same with TIR and my g15.

so it will be great for once to just install the game and stick and just play.

I will now have to also buy pedals alogn with the hog, as I wont have a rudder control when I dump my x52, so I will need pedals and I have NO idea who makes them and what are a good make.

So I need to find out who makes a decent set of pedals.

Thats me that is! Just started creating a profile for AF. After a few weeks it will be done. Then the tweaking starts. Wouldnt it be nice to just get a stick and a a game that are made for each other. Oh wait........

As for pedals, cant you just re-use your existing ones? Do they have a USB connection?

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats me that is! Just started creating a profile for AF. After a few weeks it will be done. Then the tweaking starts. Wouldnt it be nice to just get a stick and a a game that are made for each other. Oh wait........

As for pedals, cant you just re-use your existing ones? Do they have a USB connection?

Yea, making profiles is a PITA big time, takes me ages to remember what all the buttons do, once i start to remember them, my pc needs formatting and I make a totally different profile and have to start learning from scratch all over again as the buttons invariably end up in different positions.

I dont have existing pedals, I used the twist stick x52 for my rudder, but I very much doubt that the warthog can twist and be used as a rudder.

So unless I use the keyboard for rudder, which is not gunna happen I will have to get pedals, I will just have to start looking for a set, from who or where I dunno, well except for the kind gentleman above you who mentioned a set.

I will check them out, as I honestly dont know of any other makers of pedals.

Blimey mate you are going to pap your pants when you get some proper pedals, it makes that much difference. not kiddding. suddenly landing is easy and in the shark, you can pivot on a sixpence

get a set of USB CH Pro pedals off ebay for about £60. they are rock solid and simple mecahnically. (less likely to break). my theory was, "they sit under my desk so im not spending loads on them".

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Yea coolts, I dont want to spend loads on pedals, as its like you say, its under the desk, nobody gunna see them, aslong as they work and do the deed then they can be fugly looking things, I dont care as long as they work and dont break and they are not too costly, especially since the warthog is gunna be the guts of 400 quid.

Since my feet are gunna be on them I would prefer quality, as I am one clumsy mofo, so I would like the ruggest of builds for the pedals as knowing me i will break them somehow.

So its CH Pro pedals, I will look out for them, as I know CH do good kit, didnt know they made pedals though.

I have to agree with you, flying in lockon is easy with the 52, the rudder easy peasy, but dcs, it can be a pain at times when it comes to the twist stick and the helo.

To: http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_175a.html

3. Use the HOTAS Warthog in combination with rudder pedals connected through the Cougar

One of the key points SimHQ learned about Thrustmaster's T.A.R.G.E.T. (Thrustmaster Advanced pRogramming Graphical EdiTor) programming software is that it will support the HOTAS Warthog, the Cougar, the Cougar MFDs, the T.16000M, and possibly other Thrustmaster USB devices. This means that buttons and axes from all of these devices can be combined into virtual controller combinations. For example, if one owned a HOTAS Warthog, a Cougar, and Simped rudder pedals with toebrakes connected to a Cougar, one could map a virtual controller that used the HOTAS Warthog's two stick axes, the HOTAS Warthog's two throttle axes, the HOTAS Warthog's one throttle rotary, the Simped pedals' one rudder axis, and the Simped pedals' two toebrake axes. That's eight axes (the DirectX limit for a single controller) from three different physical devices connected to the computer through two different USB cables.

The obvious advantages of T.A.R.G.E.T.'s ability to integrate Cougar axes is that Thrustmaster has not made the Cougar or its third-party-designed peripherals obsolete, despite the fact that the Cougar is 10 years old. While one will certainly want to hang onto their Cougar if they own expensive Simped pedals, this rudder-integration-by-Cougar method will also work with simple CH and Thrustmaster pedals connected via gameport to the Cougar stick base.

The obvious disadvantages of this method are that one must keep the Cougar and keep it plugged in. Thus, one may not want to sell their Cougar to help offset the cost of a new HOTAS Warthog, since it might eradicate their rudder pedal solution. The Cougar stick base also must be connected to the computer to enumerate the rudder pedals. However, this will work with the throttle disconnected and even with the stick handle itself removed from the stick base, in effect resulting in a rather compact "project box" to hold the connector and circuitry required to enumerate the rudder pedal axis or axes to T.A.R.G.E.T.

So, in effect Thrustmaster has done everything they can to support users of any existing rudder pedal set except put a gameport connector onto the HOTAS Warthog, Cougar-style (and with it being 2010, who can blame them?). All they haven't done is engineered and marketed a new model of rudder pedals themselves (nor, we were told, do they currently have plans to do so).

Edited by Nightmare
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.69squadrone.it

S.O: Win7 64bit

MB: ASUS 1366 P6X58D-E (Audio card integrated)

CPU: INTEL Core i7 950 3.06Ghz 8MB

GPU: GTX470 Gainward 1280MB GDDR5 "Golden Sample"

HD: Western Digital 500GB WD5000AAKS 7200rpm 16MB

RAM: DDR3 1333Mhz PC10666 6GB Kingston

Accessories:TrackIR5 6DOF, Hotas Cougar.

I wouldn't imagine most people in this particular forum are flying with a 39 dollar stick. I will get one and decide if I like it better then my current CH gear.

I think you only need to look here and some other forums to see the interest is wider then the hardcore, and besides, it's only two and a half times more expensive then your current stick, sound like a bargain now :)

Yes the stick looks really good and will sell in massive amounts I guess :) I will keep an eye on it's reviews.

^Well so far everyone that has seen/used the HOTAS have nothing but good things to say and many of those people think its safe to say TM learned from their mistakes.

Everyone who used the Cougar before launch (read fanboys) said the same thing after the pot problems on the F22. I'm not convinced yet. I'm sorted atm so I'll give this one a little time before I decide if I will get a Warthog.

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

Yeah but that used POTS not hall effect sensors the people previewing the Warthog are well aware of fanboydom regarding TM. You should always be skeptical when buying anything, I'm no different. I see both sides of the coin here but hope we'll all be impressed.

I know it does not use pots but this time round they might have skimmed on the switches part and the freaken things break off in your hand or stop working after three flips etc etc :D

TM does NOT have a good track record and like you, I will wait for the reviews from the normal users and not the testers/fanboy/baised crowd at this stage.

I'm considering the X65F. Any views?

I have one and it takes time getting used to. The main "issue" atm is the non compatibility with FC2 and BS and most prob thus A10 also.

I have not had mine long enough to start playing with programming the thing and since I need to setup a dual boot with XP to get OpenFalcon installed I'll only start this weekend most prob.

Once used to it though, control is very precise. The throttle is a little bit on the stiff side even with the adjustment screw all the way out.

It's a step up from the Cougar that's for sure!

I have one and it takes time getting used to. The main "issue" atm is the non compatibility with FC2 and BS and most prob thus A10 also.

I have not had mine long enough to start playing with programming the thing and since I need to setup a dual boot with XP to get OpenFalcon installed I'll only start this weekend most prob.

Once used to it though, control is very precise. The throttle is a little bit on the stiff side even with the adjustment screw all the way out.

It's a step up from the Cougar that's for sure!

What do you mean by non compatability?

Thanks for your views! :joystick:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=55558

You'll probably find other threads as well, if you do a search.

It will come down to what your desires and priorities are.

(...)

I think that this will also be the longest wearing HOTAS available - I have been testing a pre-production model for about 3 months and every time I use it I smile because it feels like it is brand new. I have never had a HOTAS (and I have had them all) that still feels this way after about 150 hours' of pretty robust testing. Additionally, the buttons a solid to the touch and meaty to the press, and also feel like they really are made to last.

(...)

I'm planning to replace my x52pro soon and I've looked at the x65f but if what you're saying is correct I'll wait to see what the reviews say about the warthog one. Personally I'm not very excited about the A-10 but that doesn't really matter if the stick is top quality. I can still fly other aircraft (and the A-10) with it! As for the price, I don't see why it has caused such a discussion. It's not much more than the competition.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyway you slice it, it's a big outlay for a peripheral. For me the deciding factor is going to come down to DCS A10C itself. If it is at least say 80% the sim of my dreams, then I'm going to find some way to get the Warthog Cougar. That said, I hope A10C will run well on my system or my system + a new processor at most, because the warthog's might bite into upgrade budget.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know it does not use pots but this time round they might have skimmed on the switches part and the freaken things break off in your hand or stop working after three flips etc etc :D

TM does NOT have a good track record and like you, I will wait for the reviews from the normal users and not the testers/fanboy/baised crowd at this stage.

I currently use the TM T16000M joystick that uses the hall sensors. I've had it about a year, and the stick is hands down the best "cheap" stick on the market. The sensors are super accurate, spring is stiff, and centering is perfect every time.

Split throttle does not work. Both FC2 and BS only sees one throttle axis. The right throttle is not recognized.

I've a TM HOTAS Warthog and it works in FC2 with both throttles being seen and fully functional with no issues.

Nevermind, I just saw your other post on the other page that you're talking about the Saitek. Disregard.

Also for those freaking out about the price, it was mentioned at E3 that the €399 price wouldn't effect the dollar amount. So in other words, the $500 exchange rate shouldn't be looked down on.

Edited by =Panther=

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I've a TM HOTAS Warthog and it works in FC2 with both throttles being seen and fully functional with no issues.

Nevermind, I just saw your other post on the other page that you're talking about the Saitek. Disregard.

Also for those freaking out about the price, it was mentioned at E3 that the €399 price wouldn't effect the dollar amount. So in other words, the $500 exchange rate shouldn't be looked down on.

So just to be clear, that means 500 USD not 399 USD?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

€399 = $517. TM said that it wouldn't be $500. But didn't give any hint to what it would be.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

It could cost £1000 for all I care, I'll still be getting one. I need all the buttons in the right place, it'll make things so much easier. My old and tired X52 just doesn't cut it for me in the Hog.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

To: http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_175a.html

3. Use the HOTAS Warthog in combination with rudder pedals connected through the Cougar

One of the key points SimHQ learned about Thrustmaster's T.A.R.G.E.T. (Thrustmaster Advanced pRogramming Graphical EdiTor) programming software is that it will support the HOTAS Warthog, the Cougar, the Cougar MFDs, the T.16000M, and possibly other Thrustmaster USB devices. This means that buttons and axes from all of these devices can be combined into virtual controller combinations. For example, if one owned a HOTAS Warthog, a Cougar, and Simped rudder pedals with toebrakes connected to a Cougar, one could map a virtual controller that used the HOTAS Warthog's two stick axes, the HOTAS Warthog's two throttle axes, the HOTAS Warthog's one throttle rotary, the Simped pedals' one rudder axis, and the Simped pedals' two toebrake axes. That's eight axes (the DirectX limit for a single controller) from three different physical devices connected to the computer through two different USB cables.

The obvious advantages of T.A.R.G.E.T.'s ability to integrate Cougar axes is that Thrustmaster has not made the Cougar or its third-party-designed peripherals obsolete, despite the fact that the Cougar is 10 years old. While one will certainly want to hang onto their Cougar if they own expensive Simped pedals, this rudder-integration-by-Cougar method will also work with simple CH and Thrustmaster pedals connected via gameport to the Cougar stick base.

The obvious disadvantages of this method are that one must keep the Cougar and keep it plugged in. Thus, one may not want to sell their Cougar to help offset the cost of a new HOTAS Warthog, since it might eradicate their rudder pedal solution. The Cougar stick base also must be connected to the computer to enumerate the rudder pedals. However, this will work with the throttle disconnected and even with the stick handle itself removed from the stick base, in effect resulting in a rather compact "project box" to hold the connector and circuitry required to enumerate the rudder pedal axis or axes to T.A.R.G.E.T.

Top stuff... at least their new software and programming will support the Cougar. I'm not getting rid of mine anytime soon, in fact i'm about to chuck a U2nxt and Hall Sensors in it!

I wouldn't be surprised if anyone else has said this, but I'd be reluctant to get another expensive thrustmaster, given my disapointed I was with the Cougar. Made for people with gorilla hands.

It was made as a replica, so it's the size it's supposed to be.

Exactly how small are your hands!? Mine aren't massive and i have no problems whatsoever.

Anyway you slice it, it's a big outlay for a peripheral. For me the deciding factor is going to come down to DCS A10C itself. If it is at least say 80% the sim of my dreams, then I'm going to find some way to get the Warthog Cougar. That said, I hope A10C will run well on my system or my system + a new processor at most, because the warthog's might bite into upgrade budget.

I'm like you in that i love the idea of a study sim A10 and would like a HOTAS Warthog, but can't justify the cash on a whole seperate setup. I wish you could just buy the throttle block seperately!

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset