Royal Navy to Buy F18F

mrmach

sniff sniff Jolly Roger on a Super Hornet just dont go.

Bring back the CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

Nice thanks for the Heads up

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

This isn't happening, it's just one of the options being considered by the Govt/MoD. Although hopefully it does happen, the sooner both we (The RAF) and the Navy bin the JSF and get something sensible the better.

JSF is just far too costly for what it is, especially in the current financial and operational environment.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

• ED Team
This isn't happening, it's just one of the options being considered by the Govt/MoD. Although hopefully it does happen, the sooner both we (The RAF) and the Navy bin the JSF and get something sensible the better.

JSF is just far too costly for what it is, especially in the current financial and operational environment.

As ex-RN, I agree withh Eddie. I hope it does happen as it makes a lot of sense for both services and the UK

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

• ED Team
If that were to happen, the new carrier would have to be modified right?

Yes - no ramp - catapults. Fortunately that part has not been built yet.

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

Does the royal navy need carriers , i go further do modern armies absolutly need carriers . see France we built one and always delay the PA2 , we choosed to build amphibian vessels instead , less expensive and with a big modularity . according to the design of th QE and PoW a non-vertical take off plane would be a strange choice as there's only a linear runway or there's another possibility it's the cancelling or requalification , of the british carriers . UK has lot of colonies crumbs that can be used as bases too

Does the royal navy need carriers , i go further do modern armies absolutly need carriers . see France we built one and always delay the PA2 , we choosed to build amphibian vessels instead , less expensive and with a big modularity . according to the design of th QE and PoW a non-vertical take off plane would be a strange choice as there's only a linear runway or there's another possibility it's the cancelling or requalification , of the british carriers . UK has lot of colonies crumbs that can be used as bases too

Carriers are essential to projecting power quickly. In a very dynamic political sphere that the world is in right now that is important. And it is probably a lot cheaper to build a few carriers then build up complete military operating bases on all the various colonies. But I am sure the military mission for UK is vastly different from the US so maybe UK doesn't need to project power worldwide and all that... in which case having a lot of carriers doesn't make sense.

Good move I say, F18 much better option for the UK and RN. The 2 new carriers are still not complete and the changes required to fly fixed wing were in the original plans, and could be done easily at this stage.

The big question is WILL IT HAPPEN, I have my doubts. The UK is fighting a war in the Gan with less than 8 Brigades of Infantry and we have a Government contemplating reducing that number to 5, at this rate we will barely have enough fighting men to ward off Captain Marvel if he gets out of order.

Fixed wing Carriers, F18's to support the PBI on the ground and stuff Trident where the sun don't shine I say, the only person with a real need for that is the Grim Reaper ...

Latest is we are keeping 3 Trident boats, so it looks bad for carriers and F18's.

Crazyeddie - Also ex RN (Well RM, but it's the same damn thing)

The Super Hornet may not be too sensible... It's kind of a bigger, watered-down, more expensive version of the Legacy Hornet with the the added bonus of 200nm of greater range and an AESA radar... the USN got gypped as is.

If you're honest with yourself, the JSF is an unknown quantity to everyone but LM, test pilots, and buyers, unless your only purchasing point on a fighter aircraft is how much it costs...

I agree, JCA is not going to be the best buy for the UK at this moment in time, hornets would be great but, if anyone thinks the UK is going to buy hornets and throw away the £2 billion that they have already invested in the JSF programme, they are sadly mistaken.

These rumours are probably more to do with ITAR Treaty than anything, as the loss of sales of the JCA/JSF to the UK will be a tremendous blow to lockheed and the US, thus the UK is merely putting pressure on the US to agree to the ITAR treaty and allow the UK to easily buy and get access to specific parts of techology on the JSF.

Basically its a threat, saying that we are seriously thinking about buying super hornets, hopefully to get the US to agree to ITAR to keep the UK in the running to buy the JCA/JSF.

Thats how I see it, as no way is the UK gunna walk away from 2 billion quid thats its already invested in the programme, as their would be a MAJOR outcry in the UK due to the money wasted, plus we are building carriers for the JCA, so I really cant see the UK not adopting the thing.

But, and their is always a but, I think the Super Hornet is the best choice for the UK at this time, great aircraft and can be upgraded and modded to death, so its perfect for us over here.

but I would of thought Naval Rafale's would suit RN more.

me too but I am thinkin that the RN doesnt want to field a French built aircraft

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

Should we buy some Etendards or M2000's for each one so it can laser designate for the Rafales we buy? :lol: Sorry cheap shot!

Real reason is that the UK won't sacrifice all the monetary benefits of the JSF to suppliers like RR, BAe, Martin Baker etc, especially when they're already 2Bn into it. I think Bumfire is spot on, it's just political manoeuvring.

The Rafale is great option in theory but from what I have read on other forums the support costs would be to high due to the lack of cross compatability. Dassault and Snecma have no presence currently in the UK aerospace market. BAe and RR have it wrapped up on the JSF if you ask me.

• Like 1

We (the UK) have invested a huge amount more in projects over the years to see them abandoned at much later stages in their development than this, think back to the TSR2.

What everyone seems unable to understand is that we Brits are BROKE, not just hard up and down on our luck, the new Government looked under the bed and what did they find - the tin box was empty.

Okay we will probably keep our three Trident boats but every other military project is going to suffer hugely as a consequence of that - JSF included. It's way too expensive now.

Something like the F18 instead is probably being optimistic as well, the big debate here in the UK is what do we need our military for and how big does it have to be, then, and only then, will we know what is getting the chop.

But taking some hard facts like reducing our Army to 5 Brigades must give you some clues as to just how drastic this defence review is going to be, can you honestly think we would need JSF with an Army that is smaller than many third world countries.

Oh for sure cancelling this far in has been done before, as you say TSR-2 was a victim to such cuts.

We sure are broke, their is no denying it or getting away from the fact. The tin is empty, the Tridents WILL stay and its replacement will get the green light, but I sincerely doubt that they will cut the JCA, it may happen but my personal feelings are that it wont.

But cancelling this far in, when its already known that we have spent 2 billion on it so far and, to then cancel when the country is absolutely broke isnt going to fly ( no pun intended ), the media and the opposition will have a field day.

However, the JCA is extremely expensive for what it is and, if it doesnt get cut completely there WILL be a drastic reduction in airframes purchased.

The reasons I cannot see them cutting it is, A, the amount ready invested, B, the loss to UK businesses and also the fact that we have 2 carriers on the way and C, the media outcry at the continued waste by successive governments when times are hard.

Ok granted the carriers could be reconfigured for different aircraft but I cant see it happening and no way will the UK buy Rafale, the thought wont even be entertained.

But saying all that, in the end it all comes down to the government jelly bean counters.

I wonder if all those new videos showing how much britain needs the JCA on the BBC website in recent weeks, is just a ploy to show off its strengths rather than weaknesses in the hopes that it doesnt get cut ? because to me the videos went over the top with regards to "How Britain armed forces NEED this jet".

If I had my way we wouldnt buy it, simply because its far too expensive for what it is, I would rather have the Super Hornet with a brand new batch of SHAR's if they desperately want to retain the VTOL capability.

The UK armed forces are all about to feel some bum rapeage, no two ways about it, every single force is going to suffer to one degree or another.

The only force I see coming out of this half decently will be the navy with all its new toys its getting and has got over the last couple of years.

If you think our cuts are bad, Americas upcoming cuts to its forces are gunna make ours look extremely small and unworthy of the phrase "Defense Cuts".

Edited by bumfire

Oh yea, I wouldnt put it past them to do such a thing.

Labour and the Conservatives are masters at cutting things that previous Administrations put into place and then blaming the opposition for massive overspending whilst they were in power.

That is a very likely scenario and, if the JCA did get cut that is EXACTLY what probably will happen.

The conservatives blaming labour for overspending yet again and for choosing an aircraft that Britain simply can not afford, couldnt afford it at the begining and no way can it afford it now. < that will be roughly how it goes.

• Like 1

JSF wont get cut because it would leave the new carriers without a jet. The order will probably get scaled down so that there is only enough airframes for one carrier, the other carrier been used for helicopters. The Harrier force is already pretty small, they would only need 60 or so airframes to replace the current force, with Typhoon taking over Tonka roles.