Projectors

The biggest thing you want to check for is the lumen rating and the resolution. I wanted a projector but eventually decided against it in favor of a big screen tv because most except for the very expensive ones would not be bright enough in a lit room. Most projectors are not 1080p. Not to try and disuade you, but I would highly recommend considering a big screen tv over a projector. They cost about the same, tvs have a lot more color and brightness to them and with todays 3D models, if you plan to use Nvidia graphics, 3D computer gaming viewing will be an easy to integrate option. There are 3D projectors but they are substantially more expensive. I am using a 50" plasma 1080p hdtv and it cost me less than $1500.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

Don't get sick! 100" with trackir yikes.

Are you planning on using it during daylight or in a dark room, this mainly impacts on the lumens you are after.

Also if you want to use it in a lighted room you will have no blacks and might find arma impossible during night missions.

I've played on my 42" 1080p lcd tv, but I just bought a house and I want to fulfill some childhood video game dreams!

I considered making a electro-mechanical cockpit, but having something like that will ensure I remain a bachelor. So I will just go with a HUGE screen and customize a nice office chair for a cockpit.

As for the darkness, I have yet to pick the blinds so I can ensure pitch black if needed.

It's a funny thing these projectors and what you can do with them these days.

I used to put the odd console game up on the projector and I thought that was pretty cool, it was fun to play like that from time to time. Well, actually I could play all my console games on a projector and never tire of it but when it comes to simulations it tends to be a different story for me, this is why.

I love track ir and couldn't play stuff without it anymore, especially flight sims. Outside of flightsims ARMA is the only other game I use it with. This is where a projector becomes a problem for me, ymmv.

When I get to a certain size screen the nausea is too much with trackir. I dont get it at all on my 3x24" setup and don't get it on my 30" monitor. When trying it with my projector it was too much to handle for me over a long time.

A smaller monitor with TIR was more immersive for me than a large screen with fixed views.

You on the other hand may be able to play with TIR and a projector with no issues.

Having done both I think the projector is fun sometimes but more of a novelty. Hey, over in the states you might be able to get 3x24" monitors and a 5870 to power them and go eyefinity. Great with a TIR.

I have a 1024 projector projecting on a 5ft. by 3.5 ft. screen. It's good for that mil-spec sim feel. Lately, I've been thinking a 46 inch led might be the way to go, if only for the crisp high res goodness,

One thing you have to consider carefully is the placement of the projector-so that it projects over you and down on the screen at the right distance to give a realistic HUD and cockpit size. In FC2 you can't really raise your 'seat' in the sim up and down, which would make things easier. A-10C has this feature.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]