Free face tracking - No lamps, reflexes or anything - that WORKS!

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a quick try with the 64 bit version and A10C crashed unfortunately. Went through the tracking installation v1.3, updated to v1.5, and copied the headtracker.dll into the bin folder as instructed. Then ran FaceTrack, opened the A10C ini, verified that my face was being tracked and minimised.

(EDIT: then started the sim)

But, A10C then crashes as soon as I click "Fly" from mission selection, and the text log file that should be logged by FaceTrack (?) onto the root of C: is missing too.

I get an "A10C has generated errors" message and it closes down. Everything works fine if I rename the headtracker dll to avoid it loading.

Any thoughts / help!?!

64 bit Windows 7, Q6600 OC @ 3GHz, Asus P5Q Deluxe, 4Gb Geil PC6400, OC'd ATI 6850

Some HDDs, Clunky old Cyborg 3D Gold :huh:

First of all, I'd just like to thank you Wim for spending so much time on FaceTrack, and specifically working to implement it in DCS A-10. I've just started to really get into DCS Warthog, and my experience with the community has been great so far. It seems like you (Wim) and a lot of the other people on this forum really go out of your way to add to the game and improve it with mods and interfaces such as FaceTrackNoIR. It seems like every time i think, man this game would be better if someone did this ... I look on the forums and someone did it already! (i.e. x52 HOTAS setup, Quick Startup Guide, and now FaceTrackNoIR).

Anyway, I am very exited about the possiblities of FTN, but I can't seem to get past the "Failed to register camera category" error. I saw this mentioned before on other forums, and I tried everything listed to no avail, including:

-Uninstalling all codec packs

-Shutting down absolutely anything else that might use the camera

-Using Filmerit to delete DirectShow filter errors

-Installing and uninstalling both FTN and the HeadTrack demo and my webcam drivers countless times

-Shutting down and uninstalling all additional webcam software

-Tried both my Logitech C500 and my Kinect to see if a different camera would help

I am at my wits end here and any help would be appreciated greatly. The only other solution I can think of is reinstalling windows and I hope I don't have to do that. I just donated for all the hard work you've already done, and I would be infinately greatful if you could get FaceTrack working for me.

BTW, I'm running Windows 7 x64, AMD 3.0 GHz quad core, 8 GB RAM, if that helps at all. Let me know if you need any more info.

Gneckes - hadn't spotted that the files need to be in a "Headtracker" folder in the "Bin" so that seemed to help in that I got into the cockpit!

However, although Facetrack appears to be tracking me pretty well perfectly, I'm getting no movement in the 'pit and instead my view switches to a random direction and won't budge from it. I also get a crash when I quit from the game back to the menus although they do still appear again.

Finally, no text file seems to be created so all in all it ain't quite working yet! Presumably the text file should be in the root of C:?

Ta! Fb

EDIT Kaspersky was causing an issue with FTN - resolved by allowing it full access - just very sensitive now.

Edited by Fishbot

64 bit Windows 7, Q6600 OC @ 3GHz, Asus P5Q Deluxe, 4Gb Geil PC6400, OC'd ATI 6850

@ashcanpete: I dropped you a PM...

@Fishbot: good that you got that sorted. So the virus-scanner caused trouble? I might add that to the 'known issues' section... Did you install the fix for update 5? It's quite important, because the 'random direction' thing can be fixed by that.

Did you also find the log file? Like you say: it should be in the root of C:\

Edited by V4Friend
  • Like 1

Guys, big thanks for this, if I can figure how rep works I'll fire some at you!

@Gneckes - yeah, been fiddling about with various settings to get something that works, definitely getting there. Very nice work!!

@V4Friend..

Definitely an issue with Kaspersky that is worth knowing about. Because it sees FTN as a keylogger Kaspersky doesn't let it communicate with A10C (or vice versa?). I still get a warning about it when I run it but it works regardless now.

I'm running Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 and I've given FTN full permissions by going..

Protection Center > Files and Data Protection > Application Control > Settings > Applications

Then, select FTN in the "Low Restricted" section and alter the permissions in the "Rights" tab. Should work after that. I've actually just this minute moved it into the "Trusted" section so that should remove the warning message too and it might mean that the permissions are altered automatically - too late to tell though!

Suspect the antivirus issue might be more generic - I posted my problem on a similar thread and noticed that Username455 had to unblock it to get it to work - thats what got me thinking about Kaspersky. See the Alternate 6dof thread - not sure how to attach a link!

Now - can you fix it so that I can control this beast using mind control just like in Firefox? After all that was 20+ yrs ago so it must be easy now...

Edited by Fishbot

Oops,

@V4Friend again!

1. No log file on the C: drive even though it appears to be working fine.

2. I installed 1.3 then the 1.5 update for FTN but will try the fix too..

Cheers, Fb

It works. I just have one problem. It's getting small readings or something and my view in game ends up jerking all over. I had to stop trying to fix it because I was getting sick from all the shaking and jerkiness. I'm not quite sure what the problem is. But it's definitely not smooth and steady like the videos on youtube show... :/

It does work, it's just that when my face is not moving, it reads tiny movements and shakes, as if I have a really bumpy ride.

Live every week like it's Shark Week. :D

Sounds like you should increase the numbers on the filtering. I had the same problem in the beginning, but got them fixed but really cranking the EWMA settings way up. Yes, that makes it somewhat slow to react, but at least I don't get dizzy anymore.

Sounds like you should increase the numbers on the filtering. I had the same problem in the beginning, but got them fixed but really cranking the EWMA settings way up. Yes, that makes it somewhat slow to react, but at least I don't get dizzy anymore.

Well, that helped a little. But, I'm starting to wonder if it's my light or camera because I got up once and the program registered a painting on my wall as a face--which obviously isn't moving at all--and I went in game and it was still slightly swaying. So, I'm not sure what the deal is. But it's upsetting because after 30 minutes that stupid little swaying starts to make me feel sick. :cry:

I just hope it's the constant swaying and not that I'm getting old and the motion tracking itself is what's making me feel sick... :noexpression:

That or it is possible that some of it is due to the fact that I loaded up a saved track while testing it. Perhaps the sick feeling is due to the fact that the plane was flying and banking hard while I wasn't controlling it.

Its kind of working though I must admit I havent spent anytime tweaking the settings atm its far too sensative. Which options are best to play with, and can I ALT+TAB out of DCS A10 to do them on the fly?

btw I can't seem to get any zoom control? (though I think I read an earlier post stating about this being down to the ED API)

Look:

Hi BigBANG,

You are using FaceTrackNoIR, with the DLL's downloaded from the FaceTrackNoIR website? Then the answers are: Yes, you can ALT+TAB to FaceTrackNoIR and change the settings 'on the fly'. I would recommend pressing ESC first, so you don't crash...

Zoom should also

Did you configure 'center' and 'start/stop' short-keys?

Edited by V4Friend

I was having a problem with the z-axis but restarting the applications seemed to help and it does work.

It maybe of interest to you that I'm using an Xbox Kinect as the video hardware, though obviously not the depth or IR cam just the RGB cam. So you can add that to your list of compatible cameras ;-)

I'd be interested to see how others have used the settings and curves, I still get an awful lot of movement in game for small head movements.

Just tried this with a cheap 1.3mp webcam and it works at least as well as my trakir4, just a couple tweaks to the curves and i think it will be better than trakir5! this is the trakir killer !

Win 10 PRO 64bit

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero MB

Intel Core i7 6700K 4GHZ

EVGA GTX 980ti

32GB G.Skil Ripjaws DDR3 1866@1600mhz

Sound Blaster Recon 3D

Saitek X55 Rhino Stick

Trakir5 W/Pro clip :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It works great with IL2 and ROF, with A10 & Black shark I have more problems. Hard to get steady view. When I lift filters, min & max up it's better but movement is slow and a lot of tearing (with or without vsync). But anyway, great program! A bit more of tweaking ...

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

wim,

I just tested the new API, and I must say, it works waay better than using ftnoir + ppjoy.

however, we're still not able to keep the view steady. so I'm really looking forward to your next release ;)

cheers

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

I'm using an Xbox Kinect as the video hardware, though obviously not the depth or IR cam just the RGB cam. So you can add that to your list of compatible cameras ;-)

Right, so FaceTrackNoIR is now 'Kinect-compatible' :megalol:.

What driver(s) do you use, with the Kinect?

Of course it would be very nice if the Kinect hardware could do the maths, so the CPU of your PC would not have to. Does anyone know if that's possible?

As for the view stability: that's a tough one. There will always be a trade-off between response and stability. Version 1.6 will be more stable, because the newer faceAPI is used. Maybe we'll have to do more with 'Neutral Zones', but that obviously has drawbacks too...

If anyone has a brilliant idea: I'm listening :thumbup:.

Right, so FaceTrackNoIR is now 'Kinect-compatible' :megalol:.

What driver(s) do you use, with the Kinect?

I thought you would find that funny.

I use the official Microsoft SDK beta for Win7 (x64):

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/kinectsdk/download.aspx

....and a custom DirectShow filter released by a very helpful chap on MSDN:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/4ee6e7ca-123d-4838-82b6-e5816bf6529c

Although the RGB cam in the MS Kinect isn't mega quality it does seem to keep a consistent 30fps (where other cams do not) and the result is that it does feel quite responsive.

I also have no issues with the distance of the Kinect to my face I think its about 40cm presumably because its not using the depth cam atm.

Wim, IDK, I assume we came up with some good ideas on free falcon forums? :S

anyways, I've put the facetrack dll into DCS a10, but now it won't allow me to control my camera with my joystick, even with ftnoir closed and no webcam. is this how it's supposed to work? I'll have to remove the API if I want to use my controller to rotate view?

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

I have been fiddling around the whole evening now, but I cant get it to work on W7 x64 and DCS Black Shark. Runnig FTNIR as admin, uninstalled anti-virus, double checked location of dll. But the C:\FTNoIR_ED_HeadTrackerLog.txt just doesnt appear, and facetracking just doesn't work.

I am running an older version of DCS:BS, to run the training missions. Could that be a problem?

MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X2 555 @Phenom II X4 B55 BE, 3.2 GHz quad-core, Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5, OCZ Gold Edition DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit Low-Voltage. Budget = Cheap = Good :D