stupid wingmen and way to hard campaign missions

Nickhawk

Hi everyone,

i just tried the Black Shark Oil War campaign again, but its only frustrating! My Wingmen is stupid as hell and the missions are way to hard if not impossible to be successfull in.

In most missions you need the ammo of the wingmen because there is no time to fly back to the Farp and rearm, but the most times he is to stupid to kill just one tank.

In most cases i got a group of some Abrams and Bradleys, so i point a target and order my wingmen to attack my target while i attack another. In 70% my wingmen flys straight to the tanks and got killed even if there are no AAA-vehicles!!!!.

So with the wingmen dead you dont have a chance to win the missions, there are so many enemy troops and if you fly to rearm the Abrams roll over your own tanks as if there where made of paper.

But the worst are the Area Defense Missions, you and your STUPID wingmen are facing 10 abrams, 10 bradleys, 4 apache and 2 A-10 and you have to stop them before the reach your own tanks, What the hell????

Even if you could manage that your wingmen dont die and you kill all the tanks without beeing shoot down by the A-10 or the Apache, most missions fail because the enemy A-10/Apache kill your own tanks.

So i now give up because my campaign goes 1 step forward and 2 steps back, the deployment campaign was good, but the Oil War Campaign is way to hard!

I wonder if anyone here completed the Oil War Campaign? :huh: I think i am a real good BS Pilot, i can imagine how frustrating it must be for some not so good Pilots.

Edited by Nickhawk

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic62339_2.gif[/sIGPIC]

AMD Phenom II x4 965 | Gainward GTX 570 Phantom 1280MB | 8GB DDR3-RAM | Win7 64bit | TM Warthog | CH Pro Pedals

One solution if you can't kill all the enemy units if they are in convoy and on the move towards your ground units is to take out a bridge they need to cross... that will stop their advance, although I've seen instanced where I did exactly that (took out a bridge) and enemy tanks still crossed it... go figure... had to resort to waiting till another unit was about to cross the bridge and had to take it out while crossing it... this stopped the column moving... once you do that you can have time to go to RTB and reload weapons for second/third pass.

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

Hi everyone,

i just tried the Black Shark Oil War campaign again, but its only frustrating! My Wingmen is stupid as hell and the missions are way to hard if not impossible to be successfull in.

In most missions you need the ammo of the wingmen because there is no time to fly back to the Farp and rearm, but the most times he is to stupid to kill just one tank.

In most cases i got a group of some Abrams and Bradleys, so i point a target and order my wingmen to attack my target while i attack another. In 70% my wingmen flys straight to the tanks and got killed even if there are no AAA-vehicles!!!!.

So with the wingmen dead you dont have a chance to win the missions, there are so many enemy troops and if you fly to rearm the Abrams roll over your own tanks as if there where made of paper.

But the worst are the Area Defense Missions, you and your STUPID wingmen are facing 10 abrams, 10 bradleys, 4 apache and 2 A-10 and you have to stop them before the reach your own tanks, What the hell????

Even if you could manage that your wingmen dont die and you kill all the tanks without beeing shoot down by the A-10 or the Apache, most missions fail because the enemy A-10/Apache kill your own tanks.

So i now give up because my campaign goes 1 step forward and 2 steps back, the deployment campaign was good, but the Oil War Campaign is way to hard!

I wonder if anyone here completed the Oil War Campaign? :huh: I think i am a real good BS Pilot, i can imagine how frustrating it must be for some not so good Pilots.

Hey you know I have the same issue since the last patch. Wingman is ruining all of the campaign missions because he can't do anything right.

So, occasionally I cheat and give myself unlimited ammo. Also, I tend not to use the wingman until he is really needed. Don't ask him to engage enemy or engage my target...ask him to cover you. That seems to get him into action and he'll engage targets that are attacking you.

Also, you can open the campaign missions in the editor and add another third wingman to your campaign missions. I've edited ALL the campaign missions so I have an extra wingman now for this exact reason. The third wingman is always smarter then the second one.

Good luck :-)

• Like 1

i7-12700k, 32GB Ram, RTX 3060 12GB, TrackIR 5, Lots of SSD Space, etc etc

DCS World - All the cool modules

LOL one solution is to crash and recover, that saves you some time, you dont have to fly back to base :P Not but seriously I understand your problems, I am playing the oil war campaign myself right now and have finished about 2/3 of it, and I had to rearm wapons almost every mission and sometimes 2-3 times. And yes the wingmen are not so bright, in about 3/4 of the time they contribute zero kills.

But I still love it, rearm when the mission allows for it and you will eventually finish it I think :) Well I dont know for sure since I havent finished it myself, the first 2/3 are doable anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

@kuky: good idea, but it is not possible in all missions, in some there are allready over the bridges if you takeoff from the farp.

I tried it a last time and it looks like my campaign missions went an other path, after some area defence missions (i think some are designed that you must fail) i got some missions i never played before.

Now i am no longer stuck in the cycle attack/defence mission. In the Campaign i am now near the mountains south in Georgia after 36 flown mission. (went a few times back and forth)

hopefully now i can make some progress to finish this campaign :thumbup:

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic62339_2.gif[/sIGPIC]

AMD Phenom II x4 965 | Gainward GTX 570 Phantom 1280MB | 8GB DDR3-RAM | Win7 64bit | TM Warthog | CH Pro Pedals

The key to sucess is to take your time finding a good position to shoot from, my playstyle for example:

1. stay really low at slow speed until ALL enemy Fixed wings are out/dead of the Area of operation.

2. look for a good slightly elevated hill to stay really low over (2-5m) or something to hide behind at 6-8km. also i get my wing to hold at a safe distance out of harms way

3. engage AAA with Vihkr`s at 6-8km distance. Man or tank. I consider myself the main anti air battery in the pack

when all AAA are dead i order my wingmen to engage Ground targets and let em clean up the armor while i execute

4. get close with my gun and pick off the soft targets within 2-3km (my pref is Short bursts at low ROF.

This is how i do it and i find it quite effective. depending on the situation i singel target armor and designate em to my wingmen to poke em down one by one or just do the ATTACK GROUND TARGETS.

i never use inner pylons, cause they contain crap weapons and only adds drag to my helo, but if you play with unlimited ammo i guess they could be used for area meltdown :P

Also i have no idea if the UPK-23`s are straight forward fire or elevate after the gunsight in 2 axis, if they are please tell me and i might consider to use inner pylons with my gun :P

The key to sucess is to take your time finding a good position to shoot from, my playstyle for example:

1. stay really low at slow speed until ALL enemy Fixed wings are out/dead of the Area of operation.

2. look for a good slightly elevated hill to stay really low over (2-5m) or something to hide behind at 6-8km. also i get my wing to hold at a safe distance out of harms way

3. engage AAA with Vihkr`s at 6-8km distance. Man or tank. I consider myself the main anti air battery in the pack

when all AAA are dead i order my wingmen to engage Ground targets and let em clean up the armor while i execute

4. get close with my gun and pick off the soft targets within 2-3km (my pref is Short bursts at low ROF.

This is how i do it and i find it quite effective. depending on the situation i singel target armor and designate em to my wingmen to poke em down one by one or just do the ATTACK GROUND TARGETS.

i never use inner pylons, cause they contain crap weapons and only adds drag to my helo, but if you play with unlimited ammo i guess they could be used for area meltdown :P

Also i have no idea if the UPK-23`s are straight forward fire or elevate after the gunsight in 2 axis, if they are please tell me and i might consider to use inner pylons with my gun :P

i do exactly the same!)

low sneeking in, hiding behind hills or building, while observating target zone,..but working with datalink, my wingmen used to do what i wanted him to do!)

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've only flown the first 3 deployment campaign missions in 1.02 (had almost completed it in 1.01 when I took a year-long hiatus from the sim), but I'm happy to say that using the normal non-datalink options the AI does take action (though I've taken to go in the mission planner before taking off, as per the thread in the bug forum).

I've used the "attack ground targets" and "attack my target" successfully in both cases (the last 2 mission, first one has no enemies).

Itkovian