using my current xp install in win7 64bit?

a1adin

Hi Guys,

I will install win7 64bit into my system, but I keep my XP for my old games.

so I will have 2 operating system on my computer.

I have installed DCSBS and LOFC2 into my XP.

Will the current XP install work with the new win7?

If possible, I do not want to install again, since last time I installed then patched,

it took a lot of time and error and the system hangs a lot during patching.

It worked finally after a lot of trial and error,

but if possible I do not want to do it all over again.

So please let me know what is my option here?

Can I use the current xp install under win7?

What should I do?

Should I edit the registry or what?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Im running BS + FC2 on Win7 x64 Enterprise. Its running without problems.

I think, unless you have a OLD pc. The switch from XP to Win7 in terms of speed is minor if not actualy an improvement. I bet theres better multicore support in Win7.

No need to keep your games on a XP install. That is unless they are not compatible with Win7 ofc.

Btw i doubt you can get anything installed on a XP partition working under Win7 without heavy heavy work in the registry. The upgrade to windows internal security from XP to Win7 is huge, ie. nothing will properly work. Ofc it depends on the programs/games and what account your running under etc.

Edited by Lio

im sure you'd need to install it under win7 to get the registration/authentication process to work.

personally i just keep playing bs/fc2 under xp, as its miles quicker than under win7x64 (on my machine).

You have a very serious problem if XP is running either of these sims at a better frame rate then you can get with vista or win 7.

Read a little (in these forums) and you will quickly understand why both of these sims will have far better frame rates when run within the Vista or Win 7 OS.

To the OP:

Is there some reason you are going with win 7 64 bit?

32 bit is far more compatible as far as drivers are concerned, and if you are not going to run more then 4 Gb of ram there is absolutely no point, 64 bit is NOT any faster.

There is so much misinformation about these operating systems, it never fails to amaze me how folks don't bother to do a little research, and would rather listen to anecdotal information, from sources no better informed then themselves.

Win 7 uses the same Kernel as Vista svc pk2 (Vista is Windows 6.0. Win7 is Windows 6.1) and is no faster, nor is it any "lighter" on the system.

Chris Flores of the Windows Client Communications Team explains

"Contrary to some speculation, Microsoft is not creating a new kernel for Windows 7. Rather, we are refining the kernel architecture and componentization model introduced in Windows Vista,"

Win 7 is basically a "Dummed down" Version of Vista. The GUI was simplfied and changed to hide many things from the average computer light weight, I think it's great, because they have less tendency to get themselves into trouble with it (less buttons to push to mess it up).

Both win 7 and vista OS's use more ram then XP, but they use it much more wisely then XP can, so the end result is a faster machine overall.

This is always the case with windows, back when XP came out everyone was screaming to the high heavens about how horrible it was, and how much huge amount of ram it consumed, and how much slower it was, how many bugs it had, etc.. etc.. etc.. then win 98 SE.

It's time to bury XP and give it an honorable memorial.;)

Edited by aairon

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

Unless the game will not run, Win7 should be better and recommended. You can have WinXP and Win7 run on the same computer. Both must be on separate hard drives or partitions though. Once installed you can use the tool in the link below to activate one or both operating systems. It will give you the option at the start of your PC boot to start either operating system.

EasyBCD

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/EasyBCD.shtml

There is really no reason to not use a 64bit OS. Drivers have not been an issue for a few years now unless you are really using some antiquated hardware that has no software support. Using a 32bit OS will just cripple your ability to run a 64bit executable. A 32bit OS might support up to 4GB including your video ram, but the OS keeps programs from using more than 2GB in the run time environment. This isnt a limitation with 64bit code.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

You have a very serious problem if XP is running either of these sims at a better frame rate then you can get with vista or win 7.

firstly im talking specifically about win7x64 earlier where you seem to be generalsing now. Clean install of win7x64 provides me with 50-60fps tops and some minor stuttering.

Fresh install of XP32 delivers 50fps as a minimum in the cities, whilst most of the time around 80-120 and silky smooth.

same with ARMA2, FSX and X-Plane

i7-920@4ghz, evga gtx295, asus p6t deluxe v2, 6gb ddr3 corsair (dont start on the whole "xp aint seeing all of it"...i dont care, if the sims are blistering along).

i run win7x64 on the same pc still for all the simpler stuff, i.e. bfbc2, crysis, dragon age, command an conquoer type games.

i appreciate windows7 might be running faster for you, x64 aint for me. i'm happy, cause xp has saved the day.

build a bridge, and get over it.

Edited by braden

firstly im talking specifically about win7x64 earlier where you seem to be generalsing now. Clean install of win7x64 provides me with 50-60fps tops and some minor stuttering.

Fresh install of XP32 delivers 50fps as a minimum in the cities, whilst most of the time around 80-120 and silky smooth.

same with ARMA2, FSX and X-Plane

i7-920@4ghz, evga gtx295, asus p6t deluxe v2, 6gb ddr3 corsair (dont start on the whole "xp aint seeing all of it"...i dont care, if the sims are blistering along).

i run win7x64 on the same pc still for all the simpler stuff, i.e. bfbc2, crysis, dragon age, command an conquoer type games.

i appreciate windows7 might be running faster for you, x64 aint for me. i'm happy, cause xp has saved the day.

build a bridge, and get over it.

Yep you do indeed have a serious issue with your setup.

I think the ONLY explanation would be that you are running a single core processor.

That is the only possible way a system running XP could out perform a system using Vista, or win 7 for that matter in THIS SIM WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HERE, BLACK SHARK!.

I don't normally run win 7 in any form, as I constantly am in need of very quick access to things that are not supposed to be easily accessible in win 7.

When folks start dragging things like this (same with ARMA2, FSX and X-Plane) into a discussion About another a completely diffrent program, it only makes me wonder about validity of the arguement.

ARMA2 has proved to be written to take advantage of more then two cores, and the win 6.xx kernel.

While Fsx will be much happier with a super fast single or dual core, AND XP! then an average quad core, Or the

win 6.xx kernel(vista/win 7), as it really has no idea those cores exists.

It's been some time since I even ran X-Plane so I can't give an opinion on that.

You seem to be attempting to make an apple and orange slushy.

You really do have something that needs to be addressed with your system UNLESS you are running a SINGLE core at very high clock speeds (3.6 Ghz or faster).

I see that you aren't doing that, so I reiterate you have some setting really screwed up.. :doh::)

Hey if you're happy that way Great, it's your thing lol.

Edited by aairon

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep you do indeed have a serious issue with your setup.

I think the ONLY explanation would be that you are running a single core processor.

That is the only possible way a system running XP could out perform a system using Vista, or win 7 for that matter in THIS SIM WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HERE, BLACK SHARK!.

I don't normally run win 7 in any form, as I constantly am in need of very quick access to things that are not supposed to be easily accessible in win 7.

When folks start dragging things like this (same with ARMA2, FSX and X-Plane) into a discussion About another a completely diffrent program, it only makes me wonder about validity of the arguement.

ARMA2 has proved to be written to take advantage of more then two cores, and the win 6.xx kernel.

While Fsx will be much happier with a super fast single or dual core, AND XP! then an average quad core, Or the

win 6.xx kernel(vista/win 7), as it really has no idea those cores exists.

It's been some time since I even ran X-Plane so I can't give an opinion on that.

You seem to be attempting to make an apple and orange slushy.

You really do have something that needs to be addressed with your system UNLESS you are running a SINGLE core at very high clock speeds (3.6 Ghz or faster).

I see that you aren't doing that, so I reiterate you have some setting really screwed up.. :doh::)

Hey if you're happy that way Great, it's your thing lol.

other games mentioned, as theyre cpu bound also and demonstrate the same characteristics on my machine.

out of the box, i reiterate xp32 wins over win7x64 by a mile. if i need to perform some tweaks to force win7 to use more than 1 core on BS [edit: and bring performance to the same level as xp w/o tweaks], then i'll give that a whirl later.

thanks for the 'something is really screwed up' advice, we're all the more wiser for it.

Edited by braden

Since it seems to be common knowledge, I would say you are right, you are

all the more wiser for it.
Good luck on your further endeavors.:megalol:

theyre cpu bound also and demonstrate the same characteristics on my machine.

You have a serious problem with some setting, probably bios!

Edited by aairon

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

bios all looks good. machine is running good. but im not the one here wanting or needing help, the OP is...

speaking of OP, did you end up putting win7 on in one form or another? if so, how did your BS experience compare? fast, slower, negligible difference?

just remembered i have a vista install on same desktop,which can be blown away. will put win7 32bit on it tonight and see how that compares with xp and win7 64bit with BS

Edited by braden