Microsoft Flight

Grimes

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole "Flight" release is a bit odd to me. After FSX, Microsoft basically shut down the project, cut loose all the programers and, to top it off, sold the intellectual property and code to Lockheed Martin. Not sure why they would take so many steps backwards and then take a stab at putting out a flight simulator that isn't up to their own standards. Obviously, it didn't pan out.

Anyway, I think the good news is FSX is being developed by Lockheed Martin now under the title "Prepar3d." And, they seem to be putting out updates every 5-6 months. Even though I never thought I'd be interested in commercial flight sims, being able to fly anywhere on Earth is pretty fun.

Heh. If they released DCS: Entire World, they'd clean up! I imagine developing that would cost a LOT of money, though.

... and apparently about 100 years.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

... and apparently about 100 years.

Maybe not. Most users of FSX use add-on ground and weather textures (ie- REX, UTX, GEX, Orbx, etc.)

Now that DCS is open to third party development, maybe these companies can use their terrain data to make DCS more global.

Maybe not. Most users of FSX use add-on ground and weather textures (ie- REX, UTX, GEX, Orbx, etc.)

Now that DCS is open to third party development, maybe these companies can use their terrain data to make DCS more global.

+1:thumbup:

Patrick

mini.gif

At least they implemented trackir before going under .....

Did not even know that. I just noticed that Steam just released some new content for Flight only yesterday.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

At least they implemented trackir before going under .....

Was there any question that they would not make a go of Flight. They never even had the support of the MS community. It was just a matter of when the announcement was coming. This is what CAN happen if you don't watch your customer base and listen to thoughts, opinions and ideas. Take the wrong path and this happens. Not the first won't be the last.doh.gif

All ED needs to do about making DCS Global is do a global map and just place Caucus/Nevada on there and the rest would be filled with people making terrain detail etc like FSX. So long as they use SRTM data and place oceans.:thumbup:

Not surprised about Flight it was a big step back from FSX.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

All ED needs to do about making DCS Global is do a global map and just place Caucus/Nevada on there and the rest would be filled with people making terrain detail etc like FSX. So long as they use SRTM data and place oceans.:thumbup:

Not surprised about Flight it was a big step back from FSX.

No need to do the whole world, just a couple different theaters of operation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was thinking an empty world with Caucus where it is on the Globe and Nevada at its location with just SRTM data and land/ocean until eventually more is added later. Then people could add terrain to fill in the patches like in FSX with theatres making it possible for players to fly from one to the other eventually.(Like FS in the early days)

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Good riddance M$ Flight... Who were they kidding when they came up with it?!! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot by cancelling a 20 year legacy of flight simulators for this zap zap bang bang console game called flight. I'm glad they realized their error.

Speed is life !!!

Good riddance M$ Flight... Who were they kidding when they came up with it?!! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot by cancelling a 20 year legacy of flight simulators for this zap zap bang bang console game called flight. I'm glad they realized their error.

Amen.

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

Thats true. Why the h* did they not pick up on FSX? Strange.

FSX was sold to Lockheed Martin In think.

Yes. That is what Prepar3d is built on.

Lets hope the Prepar3d team will build a similar City on this.

Keep in mind that Prepar3d is specifically NOT intended as an entertainment product. This may limit what will or will not be implimented. TIR does not work out of the box and FSX addons are 'mostly' compatible. It does run better though.

Yeah - I know that they may bought the code only to be able to develop their own simulations further- without starting from scratch...

But the Orbx team have already started to develop for this.

-Anyway-

Seems that this thread has run its course.

...curtain falls - audience applauds!

;P

Edited by PeterP

It is actually alive and well. There are, from what I can tell, ten times more simmers flying FSX/X-Plane than DCS and BMS combined at any one time. As I am writing this there are 363 pilots flying on VATSIM right now. On the weekends it can get in to the thousands. Who knew that flying a bus would be so much more popular than combat flying.

FSX is far more than that, its still my favourite flight title, I hardly ever touch the airliners. Addons such as FS-recorder and countless others provide many opportunities to do things you simply can't do in other titles including DCS. Then there are incredible add on aircraft such as the superbug combined with rex and orbx other many continents which make for quite a realistic sim, then there are the missions which are pretty fun mostly. Flight could have taken this legacy and improved upon it but it was not to be, it was a very missguided project if nothing else....

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

i never got to flightsimming by starting with the most hardcore of flightsims. my interest compelled me to look for more and get to such levels. the less access to flightsimming in any form is not really a good thing at the end of the day beyond opinions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]