Groove's OT Dump

Teknetinium

• ED Team

Just reading a book about SR-71 and soviets were certainly able to shot down the SR-71 using their MiG-31s. Some times even visual contact with the SR-71 were made, but this was rather rare.

Some interesting details:

The Infrared Search and Aquisition Module was able to pickup a SR-71 around 100 km away because of the huge IR signature of the SR-71.

On SR-71 intercept missions the the QRA Mig-31s intercept profile was calculated for exactly 16:00 minutes from crews running to their planes to the interception point.

Immediately after a Alarm was sounded, maintenance crews put the R-60 off the Mig-31s because of R-60 being useless above Mach 1.65 (stated by russian Mig-31 driver).

After the intercept the Mig-31 had to cool down at mid angels because if they would have descented too fast, structural damage or even catastrophic damage to the plane was possible.

Edited by Groove
  • Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imo russian aircraft are more robust and stand out in the elements for long periods, where

a western f16 or f22 would take a big fart, subjected to the elements for long periods of time and low maintance.

imo russian tech has always been more hands on and a mechanical approach due to cheaper costs in building, simple running and designs.

video below on russian aircraft, example below of the su25 robust simplistic design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2mKSgvLmhI&feature=related

Edited by diveplane

^^^^

Bull. Huge number of Russian aircraft do NOT work precisely because what you said above was done due to budgetary reasons; maintenance was not performed. This 'ruggedness' thing is one of the biggest myths around.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

imo russian aircraft are more robust and stand out in the elements for long periods, where

a western f16 or f22 would take a big fart, subjected to the elements for long periods of time and low maintance.

imo russian tech has always been more hands on and a mechanical approach due to cheaper costs in building, simple running and designs.

video below on russian aircraft, example below of the su25 robust simplistic design.

FALSE, sorry.

As GG mentioned, they have been negleted. Aircraft like F-16, GRIPEN and Mirage-2000 are the most maintenace friendly fighter aircraft you will find. Plus they require less overhauls and have bigger service life than any russian fghter.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

If airfield maintenance is your criteria then the harrier and F-35 win hands down. ;)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

false, sorry

you just forgot to include the airfield maintenance

Having crappy and ill-kept airfields like Russia's is NOT a good thing. ;)

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Comparing two absolutely different approaches for military doctrines

Fully aware of that.

We may never know which one is superior.

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Hopefully, history shows that the one which is more expendable with their Human Ressources will win over the one with superior technology.

Didn't help Iran in the 1980s. ;)

With respect to WW2, the Soviets simply outnumbered the Germans. As Keitel said after the war, the Germans were rarely if ever outfought, they were simply outnumbered.

• ED Team

Iraq got some help in the 1st Gulf War :D after it became clear that Iran might get too strong. The situation up to 1987 wasn't that favourite for Iraq.

Nobody asks if you have outfought your enemy or outnumbered, after you have won.

I give you partially right Mower, this is a topic which can fill hundreds of forums pages ;)

History does NOT show this to be true; it shows it to be true under particular circumstances only.

Hopefully, history shows that the one which is more expendable with their Human Ressources will win over the one with superior technology. But that might have changed with the introduction of ICBMs. Thank god :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

With respect to WW2, the Soviets simply outnumbered the Germans. As Keitel said after the war, the Germans were rarely if ever outfought, they were simply outnumbered.

they also had technology that was utterly inapropreate for the circumstances. from uniforms, gun oil to tank construction. saying that they were simply outnumbered is oversimplification, that would bite the ass of anyone who depended on it.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

Actually it did.

And I think you'll find the Soviet tactics in WW2 to be far more complex than what you are fed. Nevermind... it takes you 15mins to start your Ka-50. :helpsmilie:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LMAO. :thumbup:

HAH. Damn I was hoping you'd bite harder. :thumbup: Anyway on topic. Keitel would say that after the war. He was outnumbered 5:1 on the Western front and similar on the Eastern. Keitel probably should have been more nice with his words. They might have given him the honourable death of firing squad instead of the rope.

Edited by RIPTIDE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Correct. Everything from the cannon to the wheel brakes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]