Missiles/Rockets?

QuickCam

Hi, I'm kinda new (about 15 hours clocked so far) and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to employ the weapons on my hardpoints.

Here's what I do: I flip the master arm switch ON, Select the corresponding Hardpoint for my missiles/rockets, lock on to a target, press the trigger and.... nothing.

I really cant see what I'm doing wrong, as I've just followed instructions, so tips as to why I cant employ my missiles/rockets would be very much appreciated. :joystick:

Edited by QuickCam

Read Section 11 in your DCS BS Ka-50 Flight Manual (it's in your Docs folder of where you installed the game).

Start at page 11-11 and go from there. It's a big manual, but it's got a lot of answers to everything related on "how to's" in the Shark.

That should get you going.

QuickCam you can disable the need for authorization by the targeting computer. This will allow you to fire your weapons at all times.

In the HUD and on the Shkval there will appear a C when your can launch(ie. for the vihkir you need the target circle within the vihkir aim point)

Disable the targeting computer and the C will be on at all times.

This offcourse gives room for a bad weapon launch so you have to be a bit more carefull. The switch for this is the one a little bellow the Master Arm switch.

I find rockets are very hard to hit the target.

What is the easiest way to do it? from hover?

I find that I have difficulty aiming it,

if I put the nose down,

then in a few seconds, it will go up,

so the nose will go down up down up all the time.

It is very hard to hit something in this condition.

how do you guys solve this?

press trigger and hold it about 2s

Also, make sure you are pressing and holding the "Release weapons" button, not the "trigger". The former (RAlt-Space) is used to launch rockets, missles, etc., while the latter is for firing the guns...

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

if I put the nose down,

Rockets aren't meant for target hitting (well they are, but they aren't...), it's more a artillery. If you plan on using rockets, make sure the area is clear of AA first, before you make a pass, try to keep the plane stable, and trim :) Use short bursts, and most of all: practice. Practice, practice, practice!!!

if I put the nose down,

There's no easy solution, really. You just need to be really good at piloting, which will take a long time (I'm not there yet, though I can manage to gun down a vehicle with the "iron sight").

That said, I think you need to plan your approach. That's the hard part really. You can't simply just swing in and attack. Settle into a good steady approach that would take you over your target, and let go a salvo as the pipper slides over the target. But it's not easy until you're a deft hand with the cyclic.

Also, when making your final aiming be sure to have your trimmer switch pressed or have the Flight Director mode on. You don't want to fight the autopilot while you're trying to manually aim your unguided weapons. Its even better if your AP plot is already on target on approach, mind you, but that definitely takes a lot of practice.

Hope this helps.

Itkovian

if I put the nose down,

Recommend you study and practice the two methods explained on pages 7-25 thru 7-28 of the (English PDF) manual. You can use the targeting computer and laser range finder to give ques in the HUD that help put rocket ordanance on target with greater precision.

Also, to keep the ship from bobbing up and down make sure you have your autopilot modes set to allow you the control you need. If you are in auto-hover then you will be fighting the AP all the time trying to aim rockets; the same is true if you are in a Route mode, whether to a target, ingress point or waypoint. It's OK (even preferable) to have the pitch, bank and yaw dampers engaged, but do not use ALT HOLD or have the AP in any mode where it is being asked to fly the ship. One rather sinple way to do this is to engage FD mode.

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

I can hit larger targets with rockets no problem, but small targets with pinpoint accuracy you can just about forget about. Using short bursts is usually a waiste of ammo for me cause I cant hit anything with 2 rockets. Medium bursts give you the best bang for your buck. Flight Director and a good trim is key.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

if I put the nose down,

I dont know if this is considered an uncorrect method to do it, but I always use flight director mode for rockets, makes it much easier. But like I said Ill let the pros comment on whether this is the correct procedure or not.. :helpsmilie:

Edit: Apologies, I see now that three ppl have already mentioned flight director mode. I would still like to know if this is correct procedures however.

Edited by Sticky

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

Its entirely possible to employ rockets using the standard autopilot. Its just a bit harder to keep the aircraft aiming reticle exactly where you want it.

Just hold down the trimmer button when maneuvering. Then, when you get the target near the reticle, release the trimmer button. Then hold it down again, put the rocket pipper on target, and fire.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

thanks for all the advices.

I learn a lot from reading them. :thumbup:

yes, I think the most important thing is to practice flying it well enough first before I can aim well.

there is a good training mission for using rockets here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=37512&highlight=training

however, even I have flown low (about 25m),

I always get shoot first before I can hit the tanks.

how fast do you have to fly in order not to get hit first? :helpsmilie:

Edited by a1adin

Tanks should be taken out using missles at a distance 5-7km, they can easily shoot you down (as you've discovered) if you get too close 2km or less. Also, they are generally impervious to rockets in my experience.

Rockets are for soft targets, trucks, etc. or some artillery units that sort of thing.

Good luck and enjoy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Tanks should be taken out using missles at a distance 5-7km, they can easily shoot you down (as you've discovered) if you get too close 2km or less. Also, they are generally impervious to rockets in my experience.

Rockets are for soft targets, trucks, etc. or some artillery units that sort of thing.

Good luck and enjoy.

I agree. One can kill tanks with rockets, and some rockets do have shaped charged warheads, but the outcome is not usually very good for the helo. At the very least, you're going to come back to base with some bullet holes. The other half of the time, you're dead, either from a hidden enemy that was near the tanks or from the tank itself.

Rockets can occasionally score kills when lobbed 5+ kilometers onto a dense enemy concentration; it is in this capacity that I use them most, though, if there is any kind of enemy out there I can kill that won't shoot back, I will often use rockets because there is nothing like the thrill of a rocket kill :)

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

using the gun is a far better option I think. You have to get too close to employ rockets where as the gun you can get reasonably accurate hits within 3-4km which is still too close for APCs. Them things are my worst enemy. There missles are reasonably easy to evade but their guns are deadly, accurate, and have 4km range which means outside of missles, if you can hit them, they can hit you.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

I use rockets on tanks all the time. You just need to make sure your not hovering or flying really slow. You can fire at tanks from a good distance, you just need lots of practice to get the aim right.

I normally can take out 2-3 tanks with rockets. That makes them very useful, at least as a last resort.

They can also take out bridges..so that can stop tanks.

i7-12700k, 32GB Ram, RTX 3060 12GB, TrackIR 5, Lots of SSD Space, etc etc

DCS World - All the cool modules

In my experience the only time its good to use rockets is if your fighting 1 of 3 things. Ships (not armed of course were talking cargo ships here), Soliders, and targets that can't fire back (fuel trucks, parked aircraft, radar units).

Also it should be noted you should NEVER fly over a known target area that you know has armed hostiles. Small armes fire is one thing, trying to fly over a tank is another.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]