PLASMA HD

Hi all,

Is anyone using a HD TV to run the sim (BS or FC?)

Im thinking of getting a 50" one instead of the 4 monitors Im running, apart from the heat it gives off cooking my face (I may end up looking like a Guido), what issues do you think i will come across?

Will it affect frame rates, will HD grafics be good enough for the high detail, will the cockpit be so big it will look like a 17" screen 3 times bigger??

Im looking at my 4 monitors now in a kind of upside down T formation and with 2 more monitoes either side of the top one (6 monitors 3 top and 3 bottom) it would be about the size of a 50" HD TV so instead of having the 2 video cards I could just use one? Save money from THTG and 2 more monitors its probably a few hundred dollars more?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Get LED instead, the plasma option will leave a lasting mark on your electricity bill.

As for framerates, I understand just about every recent TV is capable of up to 100Hz. You can cap that to your liking in Windows' monitor properties, though. And LO will most likely render the pit across all 50 inches - you won't be needing any magnifying lens before you're 90 with that configuration, I'm sure.

I don't know the first thing about setting up multiple displays, though, so I'll just excuse myself for now.

That depends on the resolution. Full HD = 1920x1080.

I bet your four monitors have a higher resolution all together.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

a 50" has far far far fewer pixles than a 4 monitor setup. As stated anything that is not a 30" monitor will be 1920x1080 when full HD. You will get a serious FPS speed bump when switching from 4 monitors to 1.

The pit will probably look life sized to you on that screen.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

Im using a plama 50" with mine. Only possible issue Ive seen is screen burn in if part of the display is not moving at least a little bit during extended periods. Its not really very noticeable and its not permanent, but if you pause the game for 15minutes you might get a little bit of residual burn in that will go away after a few min. LED tv is better, but they are also twice the cost.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

LED's are great (and I'd definitely get one if I had the cash), but LCD's are on sale everywhere nowadays! You can get a Sharp/Sony/Samsung 46" 120Hz 1080p screen for under a grand. I've had mine for over a year, and no regrets. Granted any big screen won't look as crisp as a HD resolution viewed on a much smaller monitor (with more dots per inch), but if you don't sit right up against the screen it looks great. Plus you can use your Blue Ray/DVD player in your puter to watch movies in the man cave too... ;)

It does take a little getting used to surfing the web while having to actually turn/tilt your head, but gaming is great and especially flying!

I would recommend LED's and LCD's over Plasma's (in that order). You want clarity, good refresh rate, good contrast even in daylight and finally, an electric bill that's affordable too. I'd say the LCD's have the best bang for the buck still, overall.

Edited by LawnDart

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

LED panel generation is best choice.. cheap on oyur current bill,..colder then LCD panel,..you ll have best image quality with 1920-1080 resolution..

i use to fly on a 32 inch TV,...and to be honest..for me it s enough actually..next important hint, watch for a integrated pvr, personel video recorder..verry smart for capturing without fraps!=)

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Another issue is having the image surrounding you with the correct perspective, I don´t know what size your monitors are, but I use three 24" and define two aditional cameras for the side monitors, so I can place them rotated 30 degs towards me while projecting the persepctive correctly (i.e. as if I have a side window instead of a big fisheye lens).

I tested with my 40" LED and resolution is ok if you use a narrow, close to RL FOV of about 50-60 deg, which I do prefer. In that setup, I concluded I needed 3 TVs in Portrait to give the surround experience I´d like, of course, in my dreams.

Of course everyone has personal tastes...

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

...I use three 24" and define two aditional cameras for the side monitors, so I can place them rotated 30 degs towards me while projecting the persepctive correctly (i.e. as if I have a side window instead of a big fisheye lens).

can you post your setup pls?)

cheers

SCUD

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are so many Plasma Vs LCD threads on internet and I don't want to start another one.

So, here are power consumption facts

(Work time:5.2hrs/day, Stand-by:18.8hrs/day, 365 days/year, 11.55 cents per kwh).

Cost per year:

Worst case plasma 50": $117.94

Best case plasma 50": $36.27

Worst case LCD 47": $61.78

Best case LCD 47": $39.74

Source

Choose wisely and save massively :D

Edited by JLZ
stand-by

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've found it's a bit of a misnomer about the power bill. Your clothes dryer uses about 30x the electricity of a plasma TV per hour. Washing machines on hot water and dishwashers are about 10x. I've got a 60" Plasma and I was worried about the bill, it runs about 2 hours a day and I haven't noticed any difference.

3Sqn - Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region