Integrated triggers idea

I don't know if it is possible for FC2, however it could maybe be proposed for mission editor of DCS series. From my experience, the system of triggers is a good thing however too much time consuming. It would be fine to have at least random triggers integrated in units properties - every unit group would have a slider where you could set the probability of appereance in a mission. This simple feature could vring much more randomness into missions without having to create a random trigger for every single unit. Another tiresome trigger work is with messages, here over top of the current triggered message system I would propose a checkbox for every unit something like "report". Unit with checked report would report by radio its actions, like IP waypoints, attack actions, target destroyed action and RTB action. What do you think about it?

• Like 1

DCS: WH does allegedly include radio comms from other aircraft, so it will be interesting to see exactly how that's implemented.

I don't think a simple "probability of appearing" setting is sufficient, since it's important to be able to limit the appearance of a unit or group based on whether other units/groups are present. For example, you might have a number of AA defence groups at strategic locations, each with a small probability of appearing. But if they're independent probabilities, then you have extremes where there might be way too many AA units present (making the mission virtually impossible to complete), or absolutely none (making it ridiculously easy).

I'd prefer the mission editor to assist with randomizing the location of groups, i.e. be able to place the same group at several different locations in the editor, and in each run of the mission one of those placements is chosen at random. This would make it simpler to specify mission completion goals if your target is within that randomly-placed group, for example. Not to mention encourage the use of random unit placement to keep missions fresh - it's a bit of a pain to do at the moment, which discourages its use.

It'd also be really nice to be able to have a random probability for the individual units in a group, so the group's makeup can be varied in each run of the mission. Again though, you need a way to prevent everybody or nobody from showing up on a particular run of the mission.

For radio comms, I'd really, really like a higher-level interface that understands a sequence of messages as being part of one conversation. It'd be really nice to be able to just trigger an event "play message sequence X" and the game would play those messages in order, queuing up additional sequences.

DCS: WH does allegedly include radio comms from other aircraft, so it will be interesting to see exactly how that's implemented.

I don't think a simple "probability of appearing" setting is sufficient, since it's important to be able to limit the appearance of a unit or group based on whether other units/groups are present. For example, you might have a number of AA defence groups at strategic locations, each with a small probability of appearing. But if they're independent probabilities, then you have extremes where there might be way too many AA units present (making the mission virtually impossible to complete), or absolutely none (making it ridiculously easy).

The system would go on top of the current one so all current triggers would be left intact. But anyway, if you have three different AAA batteries (unit groups) and each has a probability of appereance or not appearing 50%, then the probability that none of them or all of them will appear in a mission is only 12.5%. It is just time consuming to create a random trigger and delays for every unit in a mission.

Edited by Dr_Arrow