Client update timeout

Robin_Hood

Okay, now I came across this very annoying thing, occasionally. Here is what happens:

On certain missions, when playing multiplayer, suddenly, after something like 1h of playtime, every clients are thrown out of the game with the message "Client update timeout". I really wonder what is happening, and what does it mean.

A few details:

- it seems to affect only certain specific missions. I had a mission we played 3 times, and everytime it did the same thing, after about the same amount of time. Other missions played in the same way at the same time didn't crash

- it seems quite unfrequent. I came across this only on two missions I think, which would make a total of 4 crashes

- it might be related to triggers, but I'm not sure about that

Any thoughts ?

This summer I played in a local network (LAN) and 3 of the 5 computers had this error in during a mission.

This is definely NOT directly due to the network, but bad network code in the game

Proud to be a [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] :joystick::pilotfly::book:

• 2 months later...

I have changed my Multiplayer Option Network Speed on my server settings from “Default” to “ADSL 256/128”. This seems to have solved the problem with “Client Update Timeout”; at least so far today. I guess this is a good choice on the client as well so I’ll recommend players with connection issues to change their setting away from “Default” to something else.

(HJ) :smilewink:

I have changed my Multiplayer Option Network Speed on my server settings from “Default” to “ADSL 256/128”. This seems to have solved the problem with “Client Update Timeout”; at least so far today. I guess this is a good choice on the client as well so I’ll recommend players with connection issues to change their setting away from “Default” to something else.

(HJ) :smilewink:

Oh, I assumed anyone would do this by themselves. Now that may explain why I havent seen it myself - I always set it to a bit lower than my real speed.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Well I always thought in FC2 and BS the network speed had to be set to the minimum (56k) whatever connexion you have. So the game sends less data through the wires, and this prevents synchronisation loss between the server and all the clients?

L'important n'est pas de tuer, mais de survivre.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you read this you are too curious

Well I always thought in FC2 and BS the network speed had to be set to the minimum (56k) whatever connexion you have. So the game sends less data through the wires, and this prevents synchronisation loss between the server and all the clients?

Yes, good idea, Need to update the 104th mission brieifngs to suggest that everyone do this when connecting.

Yes, good idea, Need to update the 104th mission brieifngs to suggest that everyone do this when connecting.

Maybe wait for someone from ED to confirm, I don't want you to come back and tell what I said is bullhit, because I just said "I thought 56k was better", which is different than "56 is better for sure"

L'important n'est pas de tuer, mais de survivre.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you read this you are too curious

IMO, 256/128 is probably a better setting... with 56k you are bound to have very inaccurate and "bouncy" sort of lagg as not enough data is sent through, especially in large mission environments...

I guess its all about finding a balance... in FC1 128/128 was clearly proven to be the best, i think in DCS a slight increase to 256/128 is warranted due to the more complex Ka-50 flight modeling, etc

At least it seems logical to me...

• Like 1

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

Maybe wait for someone from ED to confirm, I don't want you to come back and tell what I said is bullhit, because I just said "I thought 56k was better", which is different than "56 is better for sure"

Well, on our BS/FC2 server we occasionally have groups of people drop out at the same time. Hard to pinpoint if it is game related or our ISP. With FC1 we always recommended that clients always use the lower setting. I think it's time to try this out now as well.

If anyone from ED or someone with good knowledge on this can comment, that would be great please and thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, issued fixed.

Any server having Connection timeout issues, check for these 2 things.

1) Your Server name and settings keep getting reset. This means a corrupt ...config/network.cfg file. Replace with a stock backup

2) A mission briefing that is too long. It can cause the same issue.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, issued fixed.

Any server having Connection timeout issues, check for these 2 things.

1) Your Server name and settings keep getting reset. This means a corrupt ...config/network.cfg file. Replace with a stock backup

2) A mission briefing that is too long. It can cause the same issue.

I have been seeing this timeout quite often lately (in Warthog), with different hosters with our wing. now I see this solution. Is there anyone who could provide a stock network.cfg? I never edited mine but now I figure it might be corrupted regardless.

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG