FC2 F/A-18 Mod

The cockpit is rendered and handled using a D3D hook, basically the original cockpit is hidden and another model is drawn instead. All the switch actions and mfd/hud rendering is done in the lua exports script.

What is possible is also severely limited by what is offered by the exports interface so many systems are very difficult to get to function at all.

I sent you a PM Kegetys, by chance did you happen to get it? I have a pit in the works right now and the HUD and MFDS are all that's missing, everything else is animated/imported. Those 2 systems are the last thing that needs to be done, I hope you can help me out. :)

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Kegetys !

You are that (same?) man who wrote programs/mods 9 years ago for Operation Flashpoint ? :thumbup:

(what i REALLY enjoyed)

I LIKE IT :thumbup:

Im only missing the refueling boom :(

Edited by HungaroJET

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

Hi,

okay- I builded a F-18 Hornet including Cockpit in the past. It is possible to insert these Cockpit into FlamingCliffs with useable HUD and MFD, isn`t it?! :huh:

f18tomcatz17.jpg

f18tomcatz47.jpg

f18tomcatz52.jpg

wiretest.jpg

I`m really confused, all my best wishes,

TOM

Born to fly but forced to work.

TomFliegerKLEIN.gif

Is it possible to use this "cockpit is hidden and another one is rendered over it" trick so that new, fully functional 3D pits for the regular LO planes could be made? For instance, since the HUD/MFDs/TEWS for the F-15 is already written into the game's code, could this trick be used so that users could create new pit models that are true 6DOF?

Is it possible to use this "cockpit is hidden and another one is rendered over it" trick so that new, fully functional 3D pits for the regular LO planes could be made? For instance, since the HUD/MFDs/TEWS for the F-15 is already written into the game's code, could this trick be used so that users could create new pit models that are true 6DOF?

I think whats happening here with the D3D hook is that he's COMPLETELY replacing the cockpit. That means the displays of the F-15 are lost. He's literally turning off the F-15 cockpit .cmd, and rendering this cockpit over LockOn using a program he has written to render the cockpit and power the displays. (How he got the panning to match up with the LockOn world, I'll never know.)

This is both good and bad. Bad if you wanted to make a new F-15 cockpit. Good if you don't care about the F-15! (Like me, I just want the Hornet anyway. ;)) Almost every piece of data... wait, no, every piece of data on the displays in the original F-15 cockpit is retrievable from LUA... and therefore available to Kegetys to feed back into his cockpit program. This also means you can do math on the data before feeding it back in... something we cannot do now with current cockpit creation methods. So, he can literally do whatever math is necessary to determine the position of the Velocity Vector in the HUD with great accuracy. (Not that it's easy math, especially to have it collimate.)

I think whats happening here with the D3D hook is that he's COMPLETELY replacing the cockpit. That means the displays of the F-15 are lost. He's literally turning off the F-15 cockpit .cmd, and rendering this cockpit over LockOn using a program he has written to render the cockpit and power the displays. (How he got the panning to match up with the LockOn world, I'll never know.)

This is both good and bad. Bad if you wanted to make a new F-15 cockpit. Good if you don't care about the F-15! (Like me, I just want the Hornet anyway. ;)) Almost every piece of data... wait, no, every piece of data on the displays in the original F-15 cockpit is retrievable from LUA... and therefore available to Kegetys to feed back into his cockpit program. This also means you can do math on the data before feeding it back in... something we cannot do now with current cockpit creation methods. So, he can literally do whatever math is necessary to determine the position of the Velocity Vector in the HUD with great accuracy. (Not that it's easy math, especially to have it collimate.)

Hmm, well if all of the data is retrievable, that means with a bit of work, completely revamped cockpits for the current LO planes could possibly be created, right? :D

I'm excited about the possibility of cockpits for new planes too, but equally excited about the possibility of brand new cockpits for the current LO planes. :thumbup:

Absolutely. You could completely recreate the cockpit of any of the airplanes, it would just be a pain to redo all of the displays, etc. It does still leave the limitation of simple aircraft systems in the SFM aircraft, and the near impossibility for us to adjust the FMs, and the complete impossibility for us to program a true FCS, but it's FAR better than what we've achieved so far. All I want is fairly high quality DDI's and a correct Hornet HUD, and I would be SO happy. :D Do you know what this would add to the immersion factor of the Virtual Blue Angels demo, Kegetys? :thumbup: I'm imagining switching the altitude readout in the HUD from BARO to RALT. Etc, etc.

Edited by aaron886

what the heck is this? What clickable cockpit? how the hell, what the?

using the SU25t FM?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

what the heck is this? What clickable cockpit? how the hell, what the?

using the SU25t FM?

Read the whole thread and you'll understand. ;)

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

well i wont cause its 4 pages and I have to go to bed sorry but no time to read an hours worth of intell.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

well i read it to day and do not understand the tech talk on this cockpit stuff.

Are you saying you have to run a separate program in the mod to get this to work?

if so doesn't this cause issues with the game it self, like the one with the night vision lua program? It caused issues on my system.

well i read it to day and do not understand the tech talk on this cockpit stuff.

Are you saying you have to run a separate program in the mod to get this to work?

if so doesn't this cause issues with the game it self, like the one with the night vision lua program? It caused issues on my system.

It's pretty complicated. It sounds like it's literally another program (hook) that runs on top of LockOn. D3D Hooks can be buggy but it looks like Kegetys knows his stuff! (No kidding, right? :D)

I doubt he's making this with slow computers in mind. He's pushing the envelope here... let's not limit him.