Upgrading to Win7 64 bit

I'm going to upgrade from WinXP Pro 32 bit to Win7 64 bit soon. Any advice on precautions to take, pitfalls to avoid?

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming | i5 7600K 3.8 GHz | ASRock Z270 Pro4 | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 16 GB | PNY CS2030 NVMe SSD 480 GB | WD Blue 7200 RPM 1TB HDD | Corsair Carbide 200R ATX Mid-Tower | Win 10 x64

Yes, do turn UAC off it gets REALLY annoying everytime you start up a game...

“God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools.” John Muir

Would you advise dual-booting? There aren't many applications that I want/need to run on Win7 aside from games.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming | i5 7600K 3.8 GHz | ASRock Z270 Pro4 | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 16 GB | PNY CS2030 NVMe SSD 480 GB | WD Blue 7200 RPM 1TB HDD | Corsair Carbide 200R ATX Mid-Tower | Win 10 x64

if you have the space... I might do that....

I have a WD Cavier Black 2TB so I can do anything........ within reason.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

This is slightly off topic I know, so I apologize in advance.

Is it better to use the OEM version of windows 7 when building a new PC, or should I buy the complete version? What are the key differences between the two?

Price and IIRC you cannot use the OEM if you get another computer, but you can if you get the retail version and I believe other than that they are both complete versions. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 OEM as I figure that by the time I get a new computer it will be time for Windows 8+ anyway.

• Like 1

Well as long as I can upgrade and change some of the components in the PC it's installed on, then it won't be a problem. I think, like you, that I won't be requiring another PC until we're on another version of Windows. If I'm wrong, then I'll just have to save for a new copy.

Edit: Where are my manners? Thank you.

I just bought today OEM Win7 Home Premium 64bit from the IT at work (cheaper than most :music_whistling:)

I have Vista Ultimate 64bit. Realized I never needed the Ultimate version features so I went with the Home premium.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Specs: i7 920, GTX295, 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz, 1TB WD, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 1000W Corsair PSU,

Coolermaster Cosmos "S" case, X-52pro, TrackIR 4

If you buy Win7 OEM it is pretty much locked to the PC it is installed on. This generally means that you can change the HDD, RAM and GPU and have to revalidate Win7 automatically online without the need to call the validation team.(in theory ! I once had Vista OEM and I had to call the team when I changed my old ATI card to a new nvidia and had to really plead to get them to revalidate)

However a motherboard change is normally classed as a new PC and can invalidate Win7.You would have to call MS then and explain why you needed to change the MB. You will have to say that you purchased the PC and the MB died and needed replacing. Do not say you just wished to upgrade!

Since the release of Win7 MS changed the licensing terms of OEM for hobbyists, see

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19411_102-0.html?threadID=374252

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_for_hobbyists.aspx

Hope this helps

Asus P8Z68 V-Pro/Gen3, Intel i5 2500K @4.5, 8GB DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2, Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro, Saitek X52 Pro, TrackIR 5.

If you buy Win7 OEM it is pretty much locked to the PC it is installed on. This generally means that you can change the HDD, RAM and GPU and have to revalidate Win7 automatically online without the need to call the validation team.(in theory ! I once had Vista OEM and I had to call the team when I changed my old ATI card to a new nvidia and had to really plead to get them to revalidate)

However a motherboard change is normally classed as a new PC and can invalidate Win7.You would have to call MS then and explain why you needed to change the MB. You will have to say that you purchased the PC and the MB died and needed replacing. Do not say you just wished to upgrade!

Since the release of Win7 MS changed the licensing terms of OEM for hobbyists, see

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19411_102-0.html?threadID=374252

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_for_hobbyists.aspx

Hope this helps

It's a retail copy, so hopefully I won't have to worry about those issues. Thanks for the heads-up.

You'll have no problems, I now have Win7 64 retail and have changed practically every component since I installed it (day of release) and it revalidated every time without fail.

Asus P8Z68 V-Pro/Gen3, Intel i5 2500K @4.5, 8GB DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2, Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro, Saitek X52 Pro, TrackIR 5.

Retail means you can put the operating system on any pc as many times as you like...as long as it is only one pc at a a time.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

Buy W7? Oh , yes, I suppose you could. Billy needs the $$ ya know. :D

I got a discount, so I'm only giving Billy a little pocket change. :smilewink:

Make sure your all your hardware is 64bit capable first. Drivers shouldn't be problem as before.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Specs: i7 920, GTX295, 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz, 1TB WD, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 1000W Corsair PSU,

Coolermaster Cosmos "S" case, X-52pro, TrackIR 4

Just took the plunge. Followed the upgrade guide on the MS website and everything is smooth sailing so far. Can't wait to test FC2 :D

Edit: A big hiccup with my Netgear wireless adapter. No WHQL drivers available. No worries though, another adapter is on hand. . .

Edited by GhostDog

Ghostdog, pray that you didnt just buy a technet key for win7 that someone was selling, as last week MS cracked down hard on technet accounts, if you did buy a technet key, dont expect for it to last long, as MS is hammering technet atm for piracy.

When I say hammering, I mean a hammering, usually with a technet account people got 10 keys for each item, so 10 keys for win 7 ult, 10 for pro etc etc, now they only get 2 keys, because of ppl selling keys on craigs list and ebay, plus MS are banning all keys that are coming from suspect accounts.

So I hope the saving you got, didnt come from buying a technet key, as they really are not worth the money because MS is freaking out about piracy from within technet accounts.

Edited by bumfire

Ghostdog, pray that you didnt just buy a technet key for win7 that someone was selling, as last week MS cracked down hard on technet accounts, if you did buy a technet key, dont expect for it to last long, as MS is hammering technet atm for piracy.

When I say hammering, I mean a hammering, usually with a technet account people got 10 keys for each item, so 10 keys for win 7 ult, 10 for pro etc etc, now they only get 2 keys, because of ppl selling keys on craigs list and ebay, plus MS are banning all keys that are coming from suspect accounts.

So I hope the saving you got, didnt come from buying a technet key, as they really are not worth the money because MS is freaking out about piracy from within technet accounts.

:no: Not at all, it was a professional discount. I'm strictly legit with my software purchases. Keeps life simple.