X-Plane News ONLY (not discussion)

Shaman

I agree FSX is bloated and inefficient. But I have to say, now that the hardware is there to run it well, FSX+Orbx for the NW+ASX (ASA is latest) for weather+SF260 for props or L-39 for jets=very, very nice experience for me.

As said above, we will need a replacement though, so I hope X-plane steps up.

Is the hardware really here to run FSX on max though?? i brought a decent set up just for FSX and was bitterly dissapointed with the results as most people are, it runs sure, but not on max and not well enough for me to invest in sceneries that would give me the experience i want and risk a slide show though. I was going to replace my Phennom II quad core with an I7 but after watching many video's etc on you tube it seems the I7 doesnt even max FSX with fautless performance? FSX for me is a great idea excecuted poorly. I love it but it drives me mad at times and does need replacing.... or just fixing?

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the hardware really here to run FSX on max though?? i brought a decent set up just for FSX and was bitterly dissapointed with the results as most people are, it runs sure, but not on max and not well enough for me to invest in sceneries that would give me the experience i want and risk a slide show though. I was going to replace my Phennom II quad core with an I7 but after watching many video's etc on you tube it seems the I7 doesnt even max FSX with fautless performance? FSX for me is a great idea excecuted poorly. I love it but it drives me mad at times and does need replacing.... or just fixing?

Defiantly not max, not even close. But if you want to basically use it as a GA sim (which is good for me), and adjust traffic and other sliders appropriately, and also apply minimal tweaking (mostly the DX9 shader tweak), you can get 60-80 with the SF260 in rural bult up rural areas, and minimum of about 25 in the major metropolitan areas, and this is in weather with 5 layers of clouds as per ASX. Keep in mind, 22 in FSX looks smooth, whereas it was 30+ in FS9. (e8400 @ 4.0, so take that with a grain of salt).

Throw in the Carrier freeware add-on, and the VRS F/18 (another full priced 'add=on' lol) for blue water ops where fps is not an issue, and things are looking better for the mil full sys freaks (like myself on good days).

Absolutely way too much work and hassle and extra cash for what should be an out of the box experience, but there it is. The crown is easily within X-planes reach, especially in this time window where they look like the last man standing.

P.S. FPS limiter (a separate 'hook' type program) is also essential for a decent experience.

Edit: I also have REX2. So that's maybe $200+ not counting the the price for FSX and the expansion pack, and not counting the numerous other add-ons I've gone through to get here. If you asked me spend something in the range of $300-500 for the FSX experience I have now, I would have punched you in the face for talking to me like I was stupid.

Edited by hassata

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm in Ebay selling mode with my FSX stuff right now. FSX + Acceleration + numerous scenery addons. I’ve been through 3 PC upgrades since it came out and it still runs like crap. The money you have to spend and the effort you have to go through to get a nice FSX experience is absolutely disgraceful and the “out of the box” experience was very inadequate IMO.

Saying, “it’s the mods that make it” doesn’t cut it in my book. Fair play to the people with patience and cash to tart it up, but the whole “no one flies the default aircraft” is another nail in an already very magnetic coffin.

If its not the default planes or the default scenery or the default weather that people are paying for then what is the bloody point of FSX? The menus? You may as well buy C++ and make your own sim.

There is room for a good civilian sim there and I will give XPlane10 a look, for the times when I’m not “going CAS on their ass” in DCS:A-10.

Let’s hope the Xplane devs learn from the FSX debacle. Paid mods and add-ons are there to enrich and extend, not take the place of something that should have been there from the start.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

• 1 month later...

X-Plane 10.0 will be released this year! Devs are finalizing the RC build.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

X-Plane 10.0 will be released this year! Devs are finalizing the RC build.

Could you put the link to the news?

Thx

i7 2600K - ASUS P8P67 - GSKILL RIPJAWS X 8GB CL 7 - NOCTUA NH-D14

GIGABYTE GTX 570@900/1800/2000 - ACCELERO XTREME PLUS

SSD OCZ VERTEX II RAID 0 240GB 34NM - XFX 850W BLACK EDITION

SB X-FI EXTREME GAMER

FANATEC CSW+BMW M3 GT2 RIM+FORMULA RIM - HOTAS COUGAR Ü2 NXT - TRACKIR 5

LIAN LI PC-X1000 - PANASONIC TX-P42VT30E - DELL 2709W

And the first thing we can see in the video is a non collimated HUD. :wallbash:

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The space shuttle cockpit looks amazing. I wonder if it can handle high altitude JDAM delivery? You would have a significant standoff range advantage as well as being out of all SAM engagement envelopes :lol:

And the first thing we can see in the video is a non collimated HUD. :wallbash:

X-Plane 9 supports collimated hud. It is addon limitation, not X-plane's. Seriously, if you are looking for Space Shuttle then don't bother with X-plane but get a dedicated sim which is: http://www.space-shuttle-mission.com/ - no addon developer will ever come close to dedicated sim. It is like "DCS quality" of Space Shuttle.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I'll buy a copy of X10 when ts out but Im getting more and more dissillusioned that the end product there is the engine and you end up spending more and more to get a decent experience, just simple things like the fact you can make an aircraft do push ups with the landing gear or the lack of decent damage modelling out of the box, Im much happier these days doing touch an goes with my A10 and finding the tires blow or the landing struts bend if I stuff up, lets see how X10 goes though

Edited by shu77

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

X-Plane 9 supports collimated hud. It is addon limitation, not X-plane's. Seriously, if you are looking for Space Shuttle then don't bother with X-plane but get a dedicated sim which is: http://www.space-shuttle-mission.com/ - no addon developer will ever come close to dedicated sim. It is like "DCS quality" of Space Shuttle.

I know that, but it shows the "quality" and "attention to details" in the product they advertise.

Ah well, same story as in FSX. But in FSX you can at least find plenty of high quality payware models, which are very rare in Xplane. Maybe it will change with the X10 version, but I seriously doubt that.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 7 months later...

I hope X10 is good, twice now I have been swayed by the X-hype, and twice very dissapointed.

The world just seems so dead. Its like after some sort of epidemic has wiped out 99% of the population. Hard to take it seriously when a hot air balloon is floating across your major international airport.

I also hate how nearly all of the cockpits are just panels. Look to far down and you can see the ground. Its just a panel floating in mid air.

Got the good helicopter addon, looks amazing, but its just boring because the world is so dead.

Awfull ATC chat in the background too. Its on a loop. has nothing to do with whats going on around you. The only active ATC speaks through a voice box.

I wont be fooled again, as for wing flex. well, you should not be looking a the wings when your landing, I really couldnt care less! Give me some Traffic!

Edited by bluepilot76

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

I hope X10 is good, twice now I have been swayed by the X-hype, and twice very dissapointed.

The world just seems so dead. Its like after some sort of epidemic has wiped out 99% of the population. Hard to take it seriously when a hot air balloon is floating across your major international airport.

I also hate how nearly all of the cockpits are just panels. Look to far down and you can see the ground. Its just a panel floating in mid air.

Got the good helicopter addon, looks amazing, but its just boring because the world is so dead.

Awfull ATC chat in the background too. Its on a loop. has nothing to do with whats going on around you. The only active ATC speaks through a voice box.

I wont be fooled again, as for wing flex. well, you should not be looking a the wings when your landing, I really couldnt care less! Give me some Traffic!

I've not tried X-Plane - Am waiting on number X. I reckon with the FS team out the way and with Flight looking to cater to ....Well I'm not sure who they're hoping to pull in with it...Anyway...Hopefully the high quality addons (GEx, REX, MytrafficX, PMDG etc etc) will make the move to X-plane, and in a year or so after release we'll have the most advanced commercial flight sim available.

That would be lovely :)

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

X-plane does some stuff quite well, as does FSX. My challenge with both is that they are somewhat the modern equivalent of a scale train set. *Most* (not all) people that use FSX are more interested in how it looks then whether it flies accurately. You get people spending huge amounts of time creating detailed models of military aircraft for the sake of being able to look at the external renders. The systems aren't accurate, the performance isnt accurate, and they cant drop ordnance, a'model train set' if you will.

{Edit} will probably keep my rant to myself. I have to say I will most likely buy XP10 but dont like where the community for that product is at.

Edited by shu77
No ones probably interested in my opinion...

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

• 2 weeks later...

I just found the wonderfullly complex little GA aircraft (the Katana Da-20 Diamond) and can honestly say its changed the way I look at FSX forever. I was not a big fan of GA in FSX even though I fly alot of time in Orbx scenery areas (PNW/Northern Fjords etc).

If you have ever wondered what it would be like to own a real aircraft this is for you!.

It will get dirty as you use it, and will need cleaning which you can do. Engine parts will wear out after a time, oil will be used, you can stress the aircraft and break it needing a trip to the maintance guys. All the wear and tear and fuel use is saved from one flight to the next so your aircraft is persistant (a bit like the A2A Accusim do) The engine will even wear faster when using Avgas instead of the recommended Unleaded fuel.

Heck there is even an annoying fly that can sometimes been seen crawling around the cockpit.

I would say without a second thought that this aircraft is on par with any GA outhere and is of a quality even A2A would be happy with. :pilotfly:

Ok sorry when off topic!

The real life Katana DA-20 is one of the most awesome little planes around. Too bad it costs a quarter million buckaroos! :P

It isn't complex at all, either. For the most part it's stick ... not even stick, rudder and throttle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda