A-10C Training Video Available - Start Up

Wags

Ah cool, cheers!

I'm not sure if the schematic shows it or not, but like "Avilator" said, the GEN switches are more like a consent switch. In this case, you're giving the GCU consent to bring the respective IDG online provided the output is within limits.

I'm interested to see how deeply DCS models the electrical system.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if the schematic shows it or not, but like "Avilator" said, the GEN switches are more like a consent switch. In this case, you're giving the GCU consent to bring the respective IDG online provided the output is within limits.

If thats the case then why not leave the switch in the ON position the whole time like a few other aircraft I know. The OFF position would just be for non-normal situations.

Shame there isn't an option to have a personal switch state (I'd leave most of it running or in standby with external power ON ready to scramble) or have it remember the state you left your aircraft in the last time you shut it down (providing its not in bits in kit form over enemy territory of course).

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

If thats the case then why not leave the switch in the ON position the whole time like a few other aircraft I know. The OFF position would just be for non-normal situations.

As mentioned in the training mission, a pre-start sequence is normally performed prior to start up. This would include setting the AC generators to ON. In this mission, we start the aircraft from its initial state at mission start, which is what I think will be most useful for the majority of players. The flight manual does describe the pre-start sequence.

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Ah cool, cheers! Ill try find a systems diagram and have a nosey before I comment next time. Great training mission, beats the DIY training from BS :) I think most people will be more at home with a jet to start with aswell, cant wait :)

Try here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=04IH4Y7K

• Like 1

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

If you're making a realistic simulation, then realistically following procedure should matter.

And in some, if not most aircraft, it does matter which engine starts first.

Then you go on ahead and start your right engine first. Problem solved. :smartass:

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

There are separate keys for right and left. Check the controls menu it's there.

And in the manual it says "NOTE: Normal brakes will be available if the left engine is started first. Should the right engine be started first , pull the emergency brake handle. If the right engine must be started first without AC power available, select CROSSFEED to provide positive fuel pressure. Pull out EMER BRAKE handle." :)

Youtube....an authority....LOL!

Always, always consult the TO's! Yes, the TO clearly defines the left engine being started first and the reasons why.

You should find the TO for the A-10A in this thread http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=56080. Its close enough for you to get he idea for the A-10C as the startup procedures are identical except for several cockpit/instrument changes.

Edited by Oscar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

wow... look at that HOTAS start shaking once the left engine started... Things like that make me happy. :thumbup: :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Specs: i7 920, GTX295, 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz, 1TB WD, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 1000W Corsair PSU,

Coolermaster Cosmos "S" case, X-52pro, TrackIR 4

wow... look at that HOTAS start shaking once the left engine started... Things like that make me happy. :thumbup: :joystick:

I will agree that shaking/vibration makes many people happy.:D

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

?

where did you see this I looked at both training videos and don't even see a hotas in there?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Youtube....an authority....LOL!

I'm sorry, is that a high-horse you're sitting on?

I was unable to find an actual YouTube video of an A-10 starting up, but was able to find numerous videos of F-15s and Su-27s. One thing I noticed was that in all F-15 startup videos, the right engine was started first. This was substantiated by the F-15 flight manual excerpts I found. In all the Su-27 startup videos I watched, the left engine was started first. Unable to find a suitable video of an A-10 (and all the "manuals" I searched for and read omitted any kind of startup procedure), I assumed that Western aircraft typically started the right engine first, and Eastern aircraft typically started the left engine first.

When multiple videos provide the same evidence, you're damn right YouTube is an authority.

?

where did you see this I looked at both training videos and don't even see a hotas in there?

You can see it in producer note 2, I didn't notice it in this training vid. Talk about detail, this shudder is from the hydraulics kicking in.

Yes, you visually see the hydraulic control actuators kicking in.
[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]