best angle of climb speed

superdunkaroos

hey guys i'm close to getting my commercial license and some pilot other day mentioned that in most planes the best angle of climb(Vx) is very close to the best glide speed(for range)

why is that?

i have looked throught my books and can't find the reason, im guessing the answer would lie somewhere in the power curves graph

any idea?

--NiTiN--

the answer is on wiki

This occurs at the speed for which the difference between thrust and drag is the greatest (maximum excess thrust). In a jet airplane, this is approximately minimum drag speed, or the bottom of the drag vs. speed curve. Climb angle is proportional to excess thrust

for example for the f-15 the best climb speed is around 800km/h, but for that you have to adjust your rate of climb; at least that is how they achieve the altitude record on the f-15 here is the video of the maneuver :

at least that is how they achieve the altitude record on the f-15 here is the video of the maneuver...

Not to mention the Streak Eagle was absolutely stripped down to the bare essentials. Everything that could be done without, was. ;)

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

hey guys i'm close to getting my commercial license and some pilot other day mentioned that in most planes the best angle of climb(Vx) is very close to the best glide speed(for range)

why is that?

i have looked throught my books and can't find the reason, im guessing the answer would lie somewhere in the power curves graph

any idea?

So at maximum thrust in a Supersonic capable jet the best climb speed is Mach 0.9. Adjust your pitch accordingly. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd explain it in my own words, but I'm not terribly eloquent or succinct. So here's a link to a nice article that should shed some light on the similarities and relationship between Vx and a best L/D descent:

http://www.erau.edu/er/newsmedia/articles/wp6.html

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

• 5 years later...
the answer is on wiki

for example for the f-15 the best climb speed is around 800km/h, but for that you have to adjust your rate of climb; at least that is how they achieve the altitude record on the f-15 here is the video of the maneuver :

Hi your answer looks very directive. Do you know the speed for best angle of climb(Vx) and the speed of best climb rate(Vy) for F86 and Mig15?

Edited by a1994114a