Most awesome RusAF Camo jobs (skinners get ready)!

Some related questions:

What is the significant difference between Russian and Belorussian air forces/aircraft?

As far as I can tell, those have Russian markings - is there any difference, politically or otherwise?

They look particularly shiny and well-maintained - is funding getting better, or are these the painted-up airshow aircraft?

Some related questions:

What is the significant difference between Russian and Belorussian air forces/aircraft?

As far as I can tell, those have Russian markings - is there any difference, politically or otherwise?

Two different countries :)

They both use the red stars, but you can see that the aircraft are Belorussian by their black numbering code....

belarus005.jpg

...and Belorussian MiG-29s have the bort # on both air-intakes and on the upper part of the tailfins....the Russian ones have them either on air-intakes or on the lower part of the tailfins.

BTW the ones in the above picture are MiG-29S´(9-13)...the version without R-77 support, but with internal Gardenya-1 FU jammer.

- JJ.

JJ

Being Belorussian, they also might be upgraded MiG-29BM's (maybe the one in the pretty grey/green scheme is?). Does anyone know what the upgrade entails? I only know it exists, nothing more.

Also, although they may simply be freshly painted most aircraft in those pictures seem in excellent condition!

Being Belorussian, they also might be upgraded MiG-29BM's
One of MiG-29BM:

http://forum.sukhoi.ru/showpost.php?p=552608&postcount=10

Коричневые очки никогда не поранят мозг. Они небьющиеся.

Brown-coloured spectacles will never harm a brain. They are unbreakable. (с) Me

сфсвсг

I'm the future of the Russian government.

According to Scott Lofgren,

Bentley Systems global director.

Being Belorussian, they also might be upgraded MiG-29BM's (maybe the one in the pretty grey/green scheme is?). Does anyone know what the upgrade entails? I only know it exists, nothing more.

Well all the MiG-29s in the photos(except the -UB) have the airframes of the "humpback" MiG-29S....the wingtips show the radio transparent edges covering the antennas for the internal jammer.

The photo caption below the ones with the "0x" borts does say "MiG-29BM" - but I dont know what this designation covers either.

- JJ.

JJ

Aha.....it seems that it covers addition of guided air-to-ground ordinance.

Interesting :)

- JJ.

Yes. And BM also will have air refueling system (see that post).

сфсвсг

Thanks for the info :) No new radar or things like that?

Speaking of cool Russian colour schemes: I found these on another forum and thought the camo was great. Note how the shark's gills are painted over the auxiliary air intakes, priceless!

Yes. And BM also will have air refueling system (see that post).

Yes I noticed the mention of that, but none of the pictures in the link posted by the thread starter shows the "-BMs" from the left side(where the refuelling probe would be situated)......has this capability been realised, or is it planned as a later addition?

- JJ.

JJ

Yes I noticed the mention of that, but none of the pictures in the link posted by the thread starter shows the "-BMs" from the left side(where the refuelling probe would be situated)......has this capability been realised, or is it planned as a later addition?

- JJ.

Yes, there is a prototype on the photo.

сфсвсг

BTW the ones in the above picture are MiG-29S´(9-13)...the version without R-77 support, but with internal Gardenya-1 FU jammer.

Hmm, more designation confusion...

I thought the production 'humpbacks' were divided into the 9-13 (MiG-29C for NATO, same old MiG-29 for VVS) and the 9-13S (same old MiG-29C for NATO, MiG-29S for VVS), where the former includes additional fuel and Gardneya, while the latter is a much more comprehensive upgrade of the avionics and weapons systems, including compatability with the RVV-AE. In that case, it wouldn't make sense to say that the MiGs

in the above picture are MiG-29S´(9-13)...
They should be either MiG-29/9-13, OR MiG-29S/9-13S. Alternatively, if we go with the NATO designations, they should be either MiG-29C/9-13 or MiG-29C/9-13S.

Are you still with me? :rolleyes: :D

Anyway, I'm just nitpicking and lamenting on the good old aviation-freak days of the years past...

By the way, apparently as many as 28 upgraded/overhauled Su-27s have been delivered to two operational squads recently (14 apiece), with another batch of 14 on the way to a third. Exactly what the upgrade consists of is unclear, but includes "new" engines. Not sure what "new" is, but at least an expanded life-span. No fanfare either...

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Hmm, more designation confusion...

I thought the production 'humpbacks' were divided into the 9-13 (MiG-29C for NATO, same old MiG-29 for VVS) and the 9-13S (same old MiG-29C for NATO, MiG-29S for VVS), where the former includes additional fuel and Gardneya, while the latter is a much more comprehensive upgrade of the avionics and weapons systems, including compatability with the RVV-AE. In that case, it wouldn't make sense to say that the MiGs They should be either MiG-29/9-13, OR MiG-29S/9-13S. Alternatively, if we go with the NATO designations, they should be either MiG-29C/9-13 or MiG-29C/9-13S.

Are you still with me? :rolleyes: :D

Yes I am with you, but the 9-13 and 9-13S are AFAIK both designated "MiG-29S" by MiG, while the NATO designation in both cases is "Fulcrum C".

Anyway, it is basically the same aircraft - "humpback" airframe with extra internal fuel and Gardeniya-1 FU jammer, "generic" ability to carry wing droptanks(was later added to 9-12 too) and uprated pylon load(up to a total 4000 kg of external stores). The 9-13S additionally has upgraded electro-mechanical flight control system and the N019M radar(supporting the RVV-AE).

The whole MiG-29 upgrade business is rather confusing, as it involves multiple stages - apart from the 9-13(with original N019 radar) and 9-13S(with N019M radar), there is the 9-13M "MiG-29SM"(N019MP radar - with added a2g modes) and 9-17 "MiG-29SMT"(also with N019MP) and most recently the MiG-29SMT-2(with Zhuk-M radar). Especially the latter "-SMT" versions are confusing, as the exact configuration may vary depending on customer request.

Additionally there are varies country specific upgrades(made by MiG) - such as the "MiG-29SD" for Malaysia(9-12 with IFR probe and N019M radar - no jammer) and, as this thread reveals, a "MiG-29BM"....which appears to be an upgrade to the 9-13 adding IFR capability + use of optically guided a2g weaponry. Finally there are the ones which have a "third party" nature to them - such as the German "MiG-29G" modification and Romanian MiG-29 "Sniper" version.

Lots of stuff to keep track of - it is much easier with the new "scratch build" MiG-29M and MiG-29K multirole versions :)

Anyway, I'm just nitpicking and lamenting on the good old aviation-freak days of the years past...

:)

By the way, apparently as many as 28 upgraded/overhauled Su-27s have been delivered to two operational squads recently (14 apiece), with another batch of 14 on the way to a third. Exactly what the upgrade consists of is unclear, but includes "new" engines. Not sure what "new" is, but at least an expanded life-span. No fanfare either...

Well I know that a few "Su-27SM" upgraded Su-27s have been delivered for operational service - I dont know if these are the ones you are refering to, but this is a radically enhanced version of the baseline Su-27S - including upgraded N001VE radar(similar to the one installed in the Chinese Su-30MKK) with support for the RVV-AE and added a2g radar modes, OLS-30M optronic system, "Pastel" RWS and new cockpit layout with new colour LCDs etc.

JJ

Yes I am with you, but the 9-13 and 9-13S are AFAIK both designated "MiG-29S" by MiG, while the NATO designation in both cases is "Fulcrum C".

Ahh, well, that may be. Its almost a semantics argument.

Well I know that a few "Su-27SM" upgraded Su-27s have been delivered for operational service - I don’t know if these are the ones you are referring to, but this is a radically enhanced version of the baseline Su-27S - including upgraded N001VE radar(similar to the one installed in the Chinese Su-30MKK) with support for the RVV-AE and added a2g radar modes, OLS-30M optronic system, "Pastel" RWS and new cockpit layout with new colour LCDs etc.

Yeap, that's the question... don't know whether the ones mentioned in the recent deliveries are more of the -SM upgrades. If so, it would be quite the news... 28 of these guys with another 14 on the way. I'm a little hesitant to hope though, considering that the first 5 or 7 that were delivered last year got a major media hype, you'd think dozens more would make the news at least. But nobody's said anything up until one of the Russian forum members at sukhoi.ru make a 'personal' update from friends 'in the know'.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Yeap, that's the question... don't know whether the ones mentioned in the recent deliveries are more of the -SM upgrades. If so, it would be quite the news... 28 of these guys with another 14 on the way. I'm a little hesitant to hope though, considering that the first 5 or 7 that were delivered last year got a major media hype, you'd think dozens more would make the news at least. But nobody's said anything up until one of the Russian forum members at sukhoi.ru make a 'personal' update from friends 'in the know'.

No I am not convinced that the aircraft you mention are -SMs either.

Not so much due to the lack of media coverage......news media operate with "sensations" such as: *new upgraded Su-27 variant -> put into service*...even if it is just a handful. From then on it is just a case of "further deliveries".....not nearly as "sexy" a headline ;)

However, I sincerely doubt that it would be possible to upgrade 28 aircraft to this level within a year so, like you, I suspect the delivery in question is a case of an "overhaul"....including engine upgrades(or replacement), rather than being new upgraded aircraft(Su-27SM).

- JJ.

JJ