Thrustmaster TARGET

I would like to express my gratitude to James Hallows for all the hard work he gave to produce Foxy and the preceeding programming software written for the Stickworks F-22 Pro/TQS combo. This software has been excellent and a great help in reference and instruction for programming my TM controllers over the years.

Well done James and thank you!

Out

Anem ! Without him it would be chinese work to program the cougar.

Hail to him!

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

For those who wants to use the joystickcentred and turned 15° counter clockwise but keeping the axes straight in line with the plane, it's also possible...

just some examples of applications.

Assuming you have the warthog, i don t see this happening with the cougar, maybe, much maybe with the Tm16000.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

The best example of improvement to me is obvious at the most basic levels of the TARGET software. It is the simple GUI enabled programming rather than text based as in Foxy. Producing toggles, repeats, press/release, hold and like statements is done more easily with drop down selections in a nice GUI. Much more automated and intuative in its presentation and overall feel. IMHO TARGET is smooth and easy as pie (assuming of course pie is some how easy).;)

My understanding is that in the scripting dept the advances over Foxy are even more pronounced although admittedly I have not yet delved there.

TARGET software is mmm mmm good like Campbell's soup used to be. :D

I like it.:joystick:

Out

I had strange issues with it I made profiles for both FreeFalcon and DCS A10 and got everything working microstick and all but in both cases certain buttons just didn't do what they were supposed to.

In Falcon it was TMS up which does the same in A10 it locks target except it didn't ! it showed up in settings as TMS up and in Targets device analyzer the right keystroke but no luck.

In DCS A10 it was coolie hat left or right hold to make MFD soi ,the left or right worked but not the hold function and again settings was reading correct keystrokes.

This rendered Target software useless for my cougar so its deleted untill thrustmaster fixes the bugs.

winXP sp3 i5 3.640ghz duo core 4gig Ram Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 1 gig TIR4 Thrustmaster Cougar

• 11 months later...

Any updates on this software as far as comments for those of us that are only using the Cougar?

Oooo,,, and probably more important,,, since I have the older Foxy software installed,, is there anything I need to do if I choose to install TARGET for experimental purposes so I dont GAFF either the Cougar or the preexisting software? Thanks

Edited by Fakum

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I have researched and discovered that I can have both Foxy & TARGET installed at the same time. i have installed target and have already run into a speed bump with configuring, I went through the manual to view the implementing of the "IN" function for my Cougar, it seems to assign ok but it doesnt run right? Example being, if I program the S2 button to emulate the "a" button,,, it does so,,, If I program the S2 button and the layer button to use "IN" function to emulate "b", and these events are added and show up in the right side pane,,, when I hit the "IN" and S2,,, it only produces the "a" when it should produce "b". Do i have to do something to tell TARGET I want the "S3" button to be that actual "IN" button somewhere? Thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

First off, TARGET has a learning curve along which everyone builds up obvious questions with answers all spread in the documentation playing hide and seek.

If you paste your TARGET code, that would make it for a cristal-clear question and there would be a related answer.

Do i have to do something to tell TARGET I want the "S3" button to be that actual "IN" button somewhere? Thanks

yes. Start with page 35 in the User Manual.

There are basic and advanced configurations in the GUI. When you set up an advanced config you will be able to define the IN/OUT and the UP/MIDDLE/DOWN shift buttons.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks for the help,, It seems I have given an impression that I didnt make an effort before posting in here,,, spent a few hours on this one little problem,,, that included going thru the manual trying to figure it out,,, I am either not getting it,, or not finding what Im looking for,,, I even went through google trying to understand this before posting,,,,anyway, thanks you cichlidfan, I think I understand the "in" function acts as a shift,,, it seems logical,,, but its not responding as one although its properties seem otherwise,,, thats why I thought I had to create that function of the S3 within the TARGET software first? My instincts tell me thats not the case since I have not found the info or the means to do so. Perhaps a fresh start on this tomorrow will prevail? Im only attempting this because I cant get a specific problem in Foxy resolved,,,,Thanks

It's less a matter of effort than of understanding. I've spent weeks to find out what was worth to get my head around with TARGET. The way you state your issues shows you still could get much from what is explained in the manual and from trial coding to make sure you get what you read the way it has to... It's because I had to do that and I had to rummage through Thrustmaster system files to grasp most of what is too lightly described in the documentation.

Your code would show precisely what you're doing, that's why.

If you're interested, I have collected my findings in this thread: TARGET - Advanced programming and I'm pretty sure I can help if I see some code...

Back to the point, when you think of TARGET layers (IN/OUT UP/MIDDLE/DOWN) as if they were modifiers like Control or Shift on the keyboard... well forget it! Those layers only modify things inside a TARGET script. Meaning when one or more of these modes are in effect, they can switch between several actions associated with buttons mapped with those modes in mind.

Edited by ivanwfr

Fourth try posting this...

Here is the Edit Layers button. It will bring up the screen to assign layer control switches, drag and drop just like the other screen.

Hope this helps and does not get eaten.

target2.jpg

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks for the help guys,,, and yes, I was in the "Edit layers" trying to implement this,,, I will try and get my head wrapped around this transition,,, to think I am only doing this because I spent days trying to fix a problem in Foxy to get my snap views back and I cant get that resolved,, im not sure if I should just go back to solving that issue or this one,,,, all because I decided I wanted to use the keyboard to type into the scratch pad,,,, by the time I get through this again,,, I will have to go back to training in the A-10 HAHAHA,,,,, let me chew on this and report back,, thanks

Well,,,, that’s resolved,, kinda aggravated and at the same time relieved,,, so heres what I found. After reading more and more,,, even that very lengthy thread,, I did not find anything that I felt was of any help,,, I was still looking for something that I was failing to do!

I decided to step back and wipe the bleeding tears from my eyes from reading so dam much, I decided to go back to scratch,, so I started from the beginning with a new profile in advanced mode,,, got it all set back up as I had done originally,,, same results,,, Grrrrrrr,,, this time though, I went back in to “CHANGE” the “IN” key from the previously assigned “S3” key to the “S2” key,, I got in the layers section and found that there was nothing in there? Ok,,, maybe a mistake on my part, I dragged the “S3” key back in and closed the window,, tried again,,, same results,,, went back in the layers section,,,, again,,, nothing in there? OK,,, Im doing something wrong,,, tried a different key,,, same thing? Ok,,, maybe this is not me,,, Im at a point that Im thinking that my original question is not a valid one, and that question was pretty much “ Is there something I have to do to assign the “S3” key as my shift button?”,,,,, I got the impression that I was already doing that correctly,, it just wasn’t working! Of course this whole time I have it in the back of my head that it must be me because the case was already made that the information in the manual was not that great, and I pretty much had to find my way through it to find the hiding places for the info I was looking for.

I did an image backup of my PC prior to this venture,,, I did a quick format of my hard drive, restored the image,,, installed the software, created a new profile, assigned the “S3” to the In & out shift,,, its stays in there and works like a charm! Yes,,, aggravated yet relieved! I don’t know enough to know what may have caused this,,, at this point,,, im nursing a headache,,,,

OK, glad you got it working. Not the solution I would have expected but then it usually isn't!;)

Thank you cichlidfan,,, same here

• 5 years later...

How do you get an 8-way POV in the TARGET GUI setup

After frustrations with an aging Saitek X55 PRO I bequeathed it to my grandson and blew $400 on a Thrustnmaster Warthog HOTAS. So far, the gain in control stability has been worth the wallet drain. However, with the limited hours I have gaming I have been having difficulty getting a profile set up that satisfies needs. I am concentrating on the P51 Mustang in DCS, can't justify TRACKIR yet, and some how have lost a couple of lengthy profiles setup in DCS. So I started toying with TARGET since I used Saitek's SST software for some time generating profiles that did what I expected insofar as HOTAS to airplane movement.

With TM Warthog HOTAS I have looked at several ready made profiles both DCS LUA and one TARGET but can't find one simple enough to relate to then build on. I started with simple BASIC GUI but have familiarized with Advanced and even tried modifying with the script editor - have had some experience with programming up thru C - but am unable to find ways around things like getting an 8-way POV into TARGET. Can't find a key to assign UP-LEFT (e,g) to. Granted, I could do a POV in DCS but would like to see it all wrapped up in TARGET it possible. So after that preamble....

Is there a way to assign 8-way viewing POV using TARGET?

Is ther a way of assigning my keyboard's Lshift LWIN (Fn-Pause) to a TARGET key? (This is how I get to a "Pause Active" in DCS.

I am pretty sure the POV Hat in the Warthog is only 4 switches, however you can physically engage two whilst pushing into the corners.

Page 15 of the script manual shows all the modify keys and "combo" keystokes.

If needed the "DXUPRIGHT DX outputs exist for programming. But you usually don't need to do that as pressing the 0 and 2 directions (up and right) simultaneously simply outputs a 1 (up-right) in the DirectX protocol. DX cannot distinguish between "simultaneous up and right" and "the up-right direction logically.

It's possible to program a button to output the keyboard strokes to write Hamlet if you're so inclined. It can mimic a L_SHIFT+L_WIN combo if needed. Apart from that there's nothing preventing you from binding a DirectX button to the active pause command directly without emulating a keystroke.

[color=#1e90ff][b]include[/b][/color] [color=#a52a2a]"target.tmh"[/color]

[color=#1e90ff][b]int[/b][/color] main()
{
   Configure(&HCougar, MODE_EXCLUDED);
   Configure(&T16000, MODE_EXCLUDED);
   Configure(&LMFD, MODE_EXCLUDED);
   Configure(&RMFD, MODE_EXCLUDED);

[color=#1e90ff][b]if[/b][/color][color=#808080]([/color]Init(&EventHandle)) [color=#1e90ff][b]return[/b][/color] [color=#ffffff]1[/color];

SetKBRate[color=#808080]([/color][color=#ffffff]32[/color], [color=#ffffff]50[/color]);
   SetKBLayout[color=#808080]([/color]KB_ENG);

MapAxis(&Joystick, JOYX, DX_X_AXIS);
   MapKey(&Throttle, APUON, DX1);
}

[color=#32cd32]//event handler[/color]
[color=#1e90ff][b]int[/b][/color] EventHandle[color=#808080]([/color][color=#1e90ff][b]int[/b][/color] type, [color=#1e90ff][b]alias[/b][/color] o, [color=#1e90ff][b]int[/b][/color] x)
{
   DefaultMapping(&o, x);

[color=#32cd32]//add event handling code here[/color]
}

Above is a starting point example script. With your programming experience it should be straightforward unless you do something tricky. The script editor pdf is more or less sufficient reference material.

You can sit in a cold ramp P-51 and do your script writing in real time. Use F5 to refresh the script to activate changes (make sure you're not actively changing the DCS controls on refresh or it'll discard changes). Given the P-51 needs maybe 20 axis/button assignments it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.