Multi-monitor set-up guide & help (unofficial)

MadTommy

4 Monitors T setup

Hi all, I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction..

I haven't played in a while but recently updated to 1.5 and want to start playing again. I have a 4 monitor "T-Shaped" setup that I run at 5760 x 1980 in game- and it is pretty much the way I like it. The main problem I have is the main menu of the game. Some of the menu items get cut off.

My Nvidia setup (gtx 680)http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/UmX

In game pic of my Rig

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/Umv

Menu items cut off

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/UyN

Which lua files do I want to edit in DCS 1.5 so that I can change the position of the menu items? Or is there a better way to go about a "T-shaped" setup than the way I am doing it?

I appreciate any advice you may have,

-war

Intel i7-8700k, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 32 GB Ram, Oculus Rift, Odyssey+, HP Reverb.

Hi all, I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction..

I haven't played in a while but recently updated to 1.5 and want to start playing again. I have a 4 monitor "T-Shaped" setup that I run at 5760 x 1980 in game- and it is pretty much the way I like it. The main problem I have is the main menu of the game. Some of the menu items get cut off.

My Nvidia setup (gtx 680)http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/UmX

In game pic of my Rig

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/Umv

Menu items cut off

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/UyN

Which lua files do I want to edit in DCS 1.5 so that I can change the position of the menu items? Or is there a better way to go about a "T-shaped" setup than the way I am doing it?

I appreciate any advice you may have,

-war

Do you mean 5760 x1080?

What are the resolutions of each monitor?

Which MonitorSetup file are you using?

Is that bottom monitor using in-game DCS cockpit or HELIOS?

Yours looks very much like mine except I use bezel correction with the bottom monitor displaying the in-game cockpit so hopefully I can give you a lua file.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Thanks for the quick reply,

No I mean "1980". The top 3 monitors are Asus vg248qe's running at 1920 x 1080

the bottom monitor is a Samsung B1940W running at 1440 x 900.

So I added 1080 + 900 to get my height.

I'm using the single monitor setup in game. No helios. I will probably mess with bezel correction after I get this sorted out.

Intel i7-8700k, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 32 GB Ram, Oculus Rift, Odyssey+, HP Reverb.

I would try this: In the monitor lua file that you're testing out, after the

VIEWPORTS = .... section, add another part:

GUI =

{

x = 1280;

y = 0;

width = 1024

height = 768

},

Then at the very end - after the final "}" add the following

GUI = Viewports.GUI

Change the numbers as you see fit. See if that works.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I've futzed with this for hours and am making no progress. 5760 x 1980 looks perfect in game to me with my 4 monitor setup. The only problem it is causing is that my main menu items get cut off. ie I can't choose "mission editor" and "campaign builder" because they are not visible!

I've tried editing my monitor.lua file. I choose it as my monitor configuration in the options menu, yet I notice no difference between my new lua file and the "1 screen" lua file I was using before. Main menu items are still cut off. I am probably not editing the lua file correctly, but I'm not sure.

Here's my lua file

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('4 Screen');

Description = 'Four monitor configuration'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect;

}

GUI =

{

x = 1280;

y = 0;

width = 1024;

height = 768;

}

GUI = Viewports.GUI

I don't have touch screens, but if a helios setup is a better option to run 4 monitors in a "T-shape" then maybe I will try that route. It just seems to be way more than what I am trying to do.

Thanks again for trying to help!

OK, I see your problem.

You are running 11.4 MegaPixels. I have all four of my monitors (triple plus 1) side by side in 7820x1080 = 8.4 MegaPixels whch is easier on the GPU but requires all monitors to be the same height (e.g.1080).

hansangb is correct but try the attached, tailored to your screen resolutions. You can rename the file to whatever you like, DCS selection uses the "name = xxxxx" inside the file.

If you get around to bezel correction then change bezel_left = 0 to whatever the left hand bezel value is in the Surround setup. Remember to use Notepad++ not Windows Notepad.

HOWEVER! This comes with a warning, there is a triple screen problem which has not been addressed by ED yet. The map gets squished as DCS appears to try to squeeze a screen.width/screen.height size Map into the GUI width/height. It is worse with all monitors side by side as the aspect ratio is different. As you know, if you just leave the GUI unspecified, which uses the entire screen.width/screen.height, the bottom left and right hand corners of the GUI are off the screens (where you don't have bottom left and right monitors) and the map, though not squished, suffers the same loss. It's possible that with the attached and your three over one setup the map may not be too bad and I'd be interested to hear.

5760_1080_Over_1440_900_Insts.lua

• Like 1

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Yes, this is definitely along the lines of what I am trying to do! In game looks the same as before (good!) and I can re-size the GUI so that I can see all of my menu items! Awesome.

My problem now is that any resolution I use for the GUI that is less than full screen (for me 5760 x 1980) makes it so that my mouse pointer does not actually click where I am pointing it on screen. So, while I can actually see all of my menu items now, actually clicking and navigating the menu items is near impossible. Is there any work around for this problem?

Thanks much hansangb and klem for helping

-war

I seem to recall either checking or unchecking the "full screen" Give that a shot.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 1 month later...

Messed up..

Hi Guys,

I am somewhat desperate. I've read through the first pages and tried to modify my own lua file but it doesn't help. So maybe someone can lend a hand.

I've got 3 screens

Left: 1200 x 1600 (it's a vertically flipped 20" screen)

Center: 2560 x 1600 (30")

Right: (same as left.. same monitor)

I flipped the small ones vertically to have the same resolution vertically.

I dived into the 3camera.lua and made a copy.

I need to edit it because as per default DCS is assuming 3 identical monitors thus mein Center Monitor is jagged .. as the game is assuming its 1653 ixels and not 2560..

I tried the following setup without any big success..

name = _('3 Screen Nob');

Description = 'Configuration with 3 different monitors each with its own camera'

Viewports =

{

--[[Left = small 20" Monitor, turned vertically. x/y = 1200x1600--]]

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1200;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = -1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect / 3;

},

Center =

--[[Center = 30" monitor. 2560 x 1600 --]]

{

x = 1200;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

},

--[[Right = small 20" Monitor, turned vertically. x/y = 1200x1600--]]

Right =

{

x = 3760;

y = 0;

width = 1200;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 1;

viewDy = 0;

}

}

The result is something totally weird..

The only thing I can think of is the aspect ratio but then again I don't understand why it's replicating parts of the center cockpit to the left and right.

Does anyone see what I am missing here?

fubar_screen.thumb.jpg.c2fa233a058a6adf36755df33dc745d5.jpg

Edited by Khegrow
added a line

I'd start by replacing screen.height with the real value (1600). Also, Windows nor the game care that you physically rotated the monitor 90°: make sure Windows (and/or the GPU) have acknowledged this. There should be an option somewhere to rotate the output.

Hi Guys,

I am somewhat desperate. I've read through the first pages and tried to modify my own lua file but it doesn't help. So maybe someone can lend a hand.

I've got 3 screens

Left: 1200 x 1600 (it's a vertically flipped 20" screen)

Center: 2560 x 1600 (30")

Right: (same as left.. same monitor)

I flipped the small ones vertically to have the same resolution vertically.

I dived into the 3camera.lua and made a copy.

I need to edit it because as per default DCS is assuming 3 identical monitors thus mein Center Monitor is jagged .. as the game is assuming its 1653 ixels and not 2560..

I tried the following setup without any big success..

Description = 'Configuration with 3 different monitors each with its own camera'

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1200;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = -1;

viewDy = 0;

},

Center =

{

x = 1200;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

},

Right =

{

x = 3760;

y = 0;

width = 1200;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 1;

viewDy = 0;

}

}

The result is something totally weird..

The only thing I can think of is the aspect ratio but then again I don't understand why it's replicating parts of the center cockpit to the left and right.

Does anyone see what I am missing here?

Your screen aspects look wrong. Try:

(left) aspect = 1200/1600

(centre) aspect = 2560/1600

(right) aspect = 1200/1600

EDIT: Did you select 5960 x 1600 resolution in game setup? And as previous poster said, is that how it appears in Windows Resolution?

Edited by klem

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

Your screen aspects look wrong. Try:

(left) aspect = 1200/1600

(centre) aspect = 2560/1600

(right) aspect = 1200/1600

EDIT: Did you select 5960 x 1600 resolution in game setup? And as previous poster said, is that how it appears in Windows Resolution?

Hi guys, thanks for helping me ..

So as for the Windows Desktop is perfect. So yes the Screen-Flip works fine here.

Also please note that if I pick the default config provided in the game (3 screens). All screens work and display what I expect to see. The PROBLEM is that DCS is assuming that all monitors have same size and thus divides the resolution (1200 + 2560 + 1200) / 3..this is well weird.

Now back to what I have here..

Yes the game detects the correct total resolution. Its 4960 x 1600

changed LUA-file to contain correct aspects..

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1200;

height = 1600;

viewDx = -1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1200 / 1600;

},

Center =

{

x = 1200;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1600;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 2560 / 1600;

},

Right =

{

x = 3760;

y = 0;

width = 1200;

height = 1600;

viewDx = 1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1200 / 1600;

}

}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

Screenshot showing the result of the LUA file :(

Second screenshot showing the problem I have with the default LUA file provided by DCS.

Red Bar is where the game "assumes" my screens end, green bar is where they SHOULD be..

Edit: I've turned them normal and edited the file accordingly. same problem.. It's like the game wont handle different resolutions here :(

fubar_screen_2.thumb.jpg.8476e122a28db8916e939c047a516f61.jpg

Screen_160209_221053.thumb.jpg.7b8343fd8bcfa3890bfc534bd36ef76a.jpg

Edited by Khegrow
added a detail

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I meant 4960 not 5960.

There is clearly a screw up or a disconnect between what we think should be happening and what ED thinks should be happening (or what they are willing to work with). ED are looking at a possibly related problem with the squished map in 3 screens and this may have an effect on your problem.

It seems that DCS assumes Left/Right/Centre will always be the same resolutions regardless of what we put in the lua file. As you can see the red area of the standard setup is what is spread across the entire 2560 of your modified lua centre screen no matter what you put in the lua. The Left and Right screens are really confused with part left or right plus a strip of 'something' then the right hand half of the centre screen on both side screens !

I suspect that when you put the screens the 'normal' way round and adjusted your desktop resolution you were stuck with a height of the side monitpr pixels (1200) which is what used to happen to me when I ran 1680x1040 + 1920x1080 + 1680x1040, it went to a height of 1040. Not that this matters to you, it just confirms there are problems running 3 screens with different resolutions.

Looks like you'll have to run 1screen or save up for two more monitors :cry:

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

• 2 weeks later...

Okey, so I would also appreciate some help. I've always hated going through the viewport luas. So confusing. Anyway, my new setup is 2x 1920*1080 displays. Side by side. Right one is selected as windows main display. I want DCS to use only the left one. Is this possible yet?

"Hard to imagine bigger engine. its got a beautiful face and an arse built like sputnik." - Pikey AKA The Poet, on 37 Viggen.

I have never tried this myself, but have you tried setting up the GUI in your MonitorSetup\XXXX file to reflect the desired DCS monitor like this:

Gui =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

}

UIMainView = Gui

Coordinates x=0 and y=0 should place the DCS GUI on the left-most monitor, regardless (I think) of which monitor is selected as main in windows.

Okey, so I would also appreciate some help. I've always hated going through the viewport luas. So confusing. Anyway, my new setup is 2x 1920*1080 displays. Side by side. Right one is selected as windows main display. I want DCS to use only the left one. Is this possible yet?

So you don't want to use the right monitor at all, is that right? then why not just set the resolution to 1920X1080? It may be the simplest. But it's also easy enough to set the lua file.

Or you can use LUA: See here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2616874&postcount=799

Just set the CENTER to 1920X1080 and ignore the MFCD stuff.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

• 1 month later...

How many and at what res?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

I would like to have the 2 smaller monitors at the bottom of the 24" monitor.The 2 8" monitors i would to use as MFCD as i have the cougar MFCD, and i have no idea about lua files. so I need all the help i can get.

Edited by KESTRAL24

No it will not, your main screen will stay the same you are just adding the width of the 2 8" screens to your over all res. you can then write a .lua and tell DCS to show your mfcds on your 2 8" screens.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol: