WIP DCS A-10C and Teamspeak 3 Integration

Yes, I'm still working on the input thing. As for the FC3 overlay, it doesn't really make sense to do that until the release version of Edge is out, because I don't want to have to mess with multiple versions of DirectX.

I doubt you will see a new TARS release by the end of June, unfortunately, but I'm working on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but in a limited way, like the FC3 support.

You can edit the frequencies over the TARS panel and use it like any other FC3 plane.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Guys, TARS social group on these forums: http://forums.eagle.ru/group.php?groupid=108

Add yourself so we know how many there are :) Maybe this post will help some who are first here: http://forums.eagle.ru/group.php?&do=discuss&groupid=108&discussionid=2929&gmid=5014#gmessage5014

I hope TARS becomes community standard, but what caused me most trouble is - communication with current non-TARS users when I am running TARS. This also causes a lot of trouble trying to trouble shoot problems with newb TARS users and their installs. AFIRC, once I am in pit I can still hear them, but they can't hear me. Ideal would be non-TARS user can be heard and can always hear as well, no matter what conditions - or a special PTT for WHISPER TO NON-TARS users in channel.

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Hi guys,

The VA that I run with a couple of friends (http://www.rafairuk.co.uk) is looking to possibly implement TARS or similar for our setup. Currently I have volunteered to look at the ins & outs of the setup and use.

In the good old days of FS9/FX we simply used to change chanels on TS for Tower etc etc, but to ALT TAB in DCS to do this it is not a viable option which is why we are looking at TARS.

I have looked all though this thread and other threads elsewhere on the net to try and find a definitive idiot guide of basic use and an 'if you press this button, this is the result' sort of guide. To date, I have yet to find anything of use.

Regarding the installation of TARS, some of our members run DCS from a normal install and some from Steam. I personally run DCS from a steam install and so pointed it at the DCS folder in Saved Games. Eventhough it says 'Game not found', or words like that, it says Installed next to it in Green and from what I have read this is correct for a Steam install.

I had to remove my 3.0.15 TSpeak and go back to 3.0.12 in order to get the Plugin to show up. Whilst the TARS pluging box is ticked and active I am unable to use Teamspeak as normal, even when DCS is not running as my PTT button I have does not work. Is this correct or am I missing something with the way I have installed?

After doing the install I mapped a hat switch on my X52 Pro throttle to do the MIC Down etc to activate the different radios and when for example I press MIC DOWN it activate what I assume is the UHF radio and I get the usual options on the top right of the screen. Now that I have the radio active, what do I press to transmit on the set frequency? I have looked everywhere and can't find anything.

Any help on the actual use of TARS and what buttons have to be pressed would be grateful.

The implementation for us needs to be as idiot proof as possible with the least chance of a cock up due to user error. From what I can see, the biggest issue will be TSpeak, as it keeps nagging to update, and if once it is updated to a newer version TARS will not work so I can see that someone will inadvertently click and update.

Sorry about the long post. I really want to get this sorted as it looks a very powerful tool.

Richard

I hope TARS becomes community standard, but what caused me most trouble is - communication with current non-TARS users when I am running TARS. This also causes a lot of trouble trying to trouble shoot problems with newb TARS users and their installs. AFIRC, once I am in pit I can still hear them, but they can't hear me. Ideal would be non-TARS user can be heard and can always hear as well, no matter what conditions - or a special PTT for WHISPER TO NON-TARS users in channel.

Yep, this would be cool. I like TARS very well, but at the moment with the TS3 issue, we can't use it in our squadron. Our TS server is patched at the latest version, so no chance.

I'm with you: We have 2 GCI controllers, which use LotATC - they have no DCS World installation. So, if TARS is usable again, they can't use it neither. A feature for non-ingame players (listen and speak) would be awesome.

I know that TARS was the first radio implementation for DCS but why waiting for TARS when Aires Radio has this feature and much more:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=104800

I don't like the overlay and it's functionality, sorry.

regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I really like how TARS sounds in game, it's absolutely great for me. I will also try mentioned alternative software also for this purpose, but after I return from vacations. I am running multi screen with primary screen with DCS at screen's max resolution but in windowed borderless render mode. Thus TS3 works on 2nd screen (7inch touchscreen) and I am always in control. I could drop any additional window to 3rd touchscreen that is actually dedicated for HELIOS and radio functions. Uh NVM..

I believe it is not a good idea to discourage TARS development because there happen to be similar software used by community. Variety and competition is a good thing.

tail# 44 or 444

Maybe a specific external thread should be used for comparison between those add-on.

I honestly hope that in a future ED would create their personal radio app as BMS did for Falcon... and then, it will be a fantastic specific feature, maybe with the help of headspace or the ARIES team... or both.

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Balu, respect his choice, this is not Aries radio sale thread.

Can't wait to compare both in action, but that will take place after my return.

Edited by Shaman

tail# 44 or 444

• FC3 and CA support (additional radio panel)
  • Manual frequency dialing,
  • preset channel selection,
  • guard channel selection,
  • full integration in TeamSpeak3
  • Range limitation by radio power
  • Horizon line of sight
  • Terrain masking
  • Typical voice quality degradation

All that is also included in TARS. The rest will come, I'm optimistic. ;)

For me especially, I use products/ brandts not only because they have that and that function or feature - it's often more, because I like the brandt or producer, you can call it sympathy to the brandt/ producer or loyalty.

Headspace did also one of the first YT A-10C tutorials (multiple JDAM attack for instance), which motivated me to do my tutorials for the german community - not only for our squadron. You can say: If Headspace didn't make his tutorials, there where no tutorials by me.

So it's loyality to him and his project, equal what other tools can do. :smartass:

regards,

Fire

PS: I agree with shamandgg: Please don't sell your product in the thread of another modder! :no_sad:

• Like 1

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FC3 and CA sadly are not that supported in TARS: FC3 is "fixed" supported, I mean that you choose 3 freq at the start and those will be for the whole flight. CA is not supported yet, it simply doesn't work with it. I honestly hope that those things will come for TARS, cause if i'm not wrong Headspace said that he's simply waiting for EDGE to be integrated for developing those things :).

Instead, ARIES has some bug to be addressed... Minor bugs, but still there as today, while TARS is less buggy for the supported modules.

I believe that both are delivering great addition to the community, and I think that both of them will be used in the future: for features reason and also for loyalty to a well done work, or else for a simpliest install/remove procedure: many factors have to be taken into account when a community choose a communication add-on.

ChromiumDis.png

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

please do not start a competitive discussion about the radio products. It is up to the user what he prefers and nobody needs to be convinced. Headspace and me did it for the community. Not for money or for the hall of fame. Aries Radio came after TARS because of a missing standalone radio to be used for radar applications. The airborne radio was a derivative when I realized, that a self made stand alone radio would never be compatible with TARS as airborne radio. Aries focuses still on ATC and GCI which is still under construction. But, the spirits I've cited...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, this would be cool. I like TARS very well, but at the moment with the TS3 issue, we can't use it in our squadron. Our TS server is patched at the latest version, so no chance.

I'm with you: We have 2 GCI controllers, which use LotATC - they have no DCS World installation. So, if TARS is usable again, they can't use it neither. A feature for non-ingame players (listen and speak) would be awesome.

I don't like the overlay and it's functionality, sorry.

regards,

Fire

dispite of it's overlay and "funcionality"... it is more realistic :)

In my personal opinion. And that's just mine. One should respect the work headspace and Towsim did. One like to hear a clear voice to feel more like Tom Cruise in Topgun and the others want to go the realistic way. Towsim worked as a tower controller on a military base for about 30 years.

For me, I may be too old - if someone like to hear a clear voice, one should play egoshooters in multiplayer:smartass:...not meant rude

Edited by The_Fragger

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

Lead 3D Artist - TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BO-105 PAH1A1/VBH / HKP-9A / BO-105 CBS-5 KLH

Eurofighter Typhoon

https://www.facebook.com/PolyDynamicsDCS/

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

Mainboard: Asus STRIX Z390-F

CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 64 Gb

Graphics: MSI GForce GTX 980 TI 4GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

Oculus Rift / Oculus Touch

Heavy Metal is the law ! :punk:

Your post is rude and can be interpreted. I have worked on NATO radio station in ground-air communication for almost a year. I find TARS voice quality coming through just as audio realistic as any radio I operated. Now I am licensed radio amateur and own AM and FM station. I don't get your point with Tom Cruise or purpose of your reply beside trolling mod-vs-mod discussion.

tail# 44 or 444

Your post is rude and can be interpreted. I have worked on NATO radio station in ground-air communication for almost a year. I find TARS voice quality coming through just as audio realistic as any radio I operated. Now I am licensed radio amateur and own AM and FM station. I don't get your point with Tom Cruise or purpose of your reply beside trolling mod-vs-mod discussion.

As I said...it's my personal opinion..I was using TARS for almost 1 year and it's good. Since Aries radio came out I like to use Aries Radio because it's more realistic ;).

I wrote that post before, because almost erveryone's complaining that the flight model doesn't fit to the orginal or remember the mast tilt thread of the UH-1H :). Now there is a realistic voice system and people complain again...everyone have a different understanding on how he want to fly. Mine is different, your's different...:).

We should stop here, because this dissussion doesn't have anything to do with this thread ;)

Edited by The_Fragger

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eurofighter Typhoon

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

If this thread is going to become a debate on which mod to use, I'm going to quit supporting the product from the ED forums.

This is an entirely free product. Any time that I put towards this is time that I don't spend doing payable work. If people like Balu and The_Fragger are going to show up to what is effectively the TARS support thread in order to get people to stop using the mod, then I'm happy to take TARS support entirely off-forum and just have you guys email me. I'm not going to have this thread be one that generates more work for the moderators, either.

It's bad enough that I receive emails with accusations of ripping Aries off, when TARS was something that appeared over two years before Aries did.

Edited by Headspace

Headspace, that wasn't my intension to go over your product. I like it and I still use it....My deepest sorry for making this misunderstandable. For me, I'm a perfectionist :) and that's why I argued that way, but this doesn't have something to do that I don't like TARS...

After all, sorry ;)

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eurofighter Typhoon

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

Please headspace, dont close your fantastic work here because a missunderstood. Everyone here apreciate a lot your TARS application and are waiting new version and updates. A lot of squads are using it as the standar radio comms software and i like it very much.

Sometimes i feel you dont know how many people are using your software and how happy they are with it.

Keep working on it. There are a lot of users counting on you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Please headspace, dont close your fantastic work here because a missunderstood. Everyone here apreciate a lot your TARS application and are waiting new version and updates. A lot of squads are using it as the standar radio comms software and i like it very much.

+1

ChromiumDis.png

Please headspace, dont close your fantastic work here because a misunderstood.

There isn't a misunderstanding. I have intentionally taken the time to offer free support and advice through this (very old) thread in these forums. If people are going to hijack the thread in order to advertise another mod (and get into pointless 'realism' debates) then I will be supporting it through a different medium.

• Like 1

Its your choice to do so if you feel the needed but i insist in the positive side. Many of us appreciate your work and we desire to walk the line with you here, at this forums.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Headspace,

are you planning to release a new version of TARS before/ with DCS 1.2.9 or do we have to wait to DCS 2.0.0 later this year?

IMO, I don't need new features at the moment - the support for full DCS modules (A-10C, UH-1H and so on) and the three pre-programmed channels for the FC3 fighters are fine - we only need a version, which runs with the latest TS3 client. :smartass:

best regards,

Fire

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Headspace,

are you planning to release a new version of TARS before/ with DCS 1.2.9 or do we have to wait to DCS 2.0.0 later this year?

IMO, I don't need new features at the moment - the support for full DCS modules (A-10C, UH-1H and so on) and the three pre-programmed channels for the FC3 fighters are fine - we only need a version, which runs with the latest TS3 client. :smartass:

best regards,

Fire

is that sarcasm or you are trying to be a douche?,Headspace is doing this out of heart for the community ,meaning he is not getting paid and he has a life and bills to pay....Why dont you pay up some cash so he can work full time on it?....

Headspace take your time bro...she still works fin for me.

• Like 1