Interactive Traffic Pattern Trainer 1.0beta

Geskes

Since the Iraq war logs mission I decided not to work on any more missions with AI because it changes too much with each release, which was to be expected.

So in the mean-time I have been working on a traffic pattern training mission to explore different editor features and make something useful for all A-10 pilots.

I have created a mission with a trigger system that evaluates your speed and altitude for each leg and turn, your bank in turns and flap and gear position during take-off and landing. There is also a taxi challenge when the mission starts and you have to land in the correct zone to get points for landing.

You have to fly the pattern at 180kts at an altitude of 3500ft MSL and you get bonus points for each 60 degree bank turn you are able to pull off. Make sure you pass trough any waypoint on the pattern or you risk not getting scored for a part of the pattern.

In total you can get 100 points but that is a very difficult task.

The mission is in beta state because I am not confident if the pattern and the evaluated altitude and speed are realistic and there might be mistakes in the trigger system. It was very hard to test. If you find a mistake, for example you fly correct leg but do not get points, please let me know and also provide a track if you can. I invite any with knowledge about flying the pattern to do suggestions about the mission, particularly on the shape of the pattern, altitude and speeds. Since the trigger system is in place and operational it is not hard to adjust the parameters.

The mission features voice by me :), I did these out the top of my head because I expect the pattern parameters will change and I have to do it again anyways so the quality is not good and I am thinking it up on the fly. Turn down your other sound settings or I will be hard to understand, volume of speech is low!

I have features awaiting implementation already, including a touchdown rating that was originally included. However it needs further tweaking because it only registers about 50% of touchdowns at the moment so I took it out for this release. I hope I will get it working, it will always be an approximation though because the exact moment of touchdown is hard to decide. In this version the mission treats any touchdown in the assigned zone as a perfect touchdown. I welcome anyone to do suggestion on features that could be interesting to add.

you can grab the mission from here:

http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/721/

or alternatively here:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BybKm7E2zzioZjExMzAxM2ItNmFkZS00ZWYxLWFjZTItYjNkY2ZjZWYzZTY4&hl=en

Please try it and help me in making it better.

Geskes

Many thanks go to ED for implementing a clone function for triggers, I wouldn't have tried it without that feature :P

*** Contest ****

There is a little contest attached to this mission, the one who posts a track with the highest score of all will feature prominently in my next mission and will also get to decide what that mission will be about.

To enter competition post track of your flight and mention your score also :)

Edited by Geskes
  • Like 1

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Wait a second, I have removed the link and uploading other version now. Already found a mistake :P

New link is up now.

Edited by Geskes

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Ooh, sounds great! Trying it out now. Wow super brutal. :) Failed my taxi before I even got there! Interesting idea though, going to have to keep at it.

Yes you have about 20 seconds once you start moving into his neighbourhood untill he start moving, you think it is not enough time?

ah ok :P

But I found the challenge always fails at the end anyways because I set the wrong zone somewhere, so uploading new version again. Then I am calling it a day :)

Done.

Edited by Geskes
  • Like 1

Looks like a great competitive and fun mission. so late here right now otherwise I would try it. Wwill give it a go tomorrow though. I was a part of a FSX bush pilot group and we would offer what we called "challenges" once a month. It was great fun. Not really a contest, but as in this one in which you attempted to follow certain parameters and the average of the flights that were submitted was the one who chose the next "challenge" Everyone was always a winner because it was a lot of fun! This is what it is all about. Fun! Tanks Geskes. You'll be hearing from me soon.

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."-----anonymous

Is this mission so crappy no one wants to comment on it?

I honestly thought it was a nice idea and with some additional work it could be a useful mission for anyone getting into A-10 and wants to control the plane seriously. (Not like a Rambo :P)

Did I make an error of judgement? Is this mission garbage?

Please tell me if so, and I will scrap this from the projects I am working on.

I flew this 3 times and failed the taxi each time. But the rest of it was enjoyable but way too difficult maybe to start. To fly within 30' and i forget the speed now, is difficult. I received 25% two of the times and my first time after I failed the taxi, I did not continue. I really don't have an idea as to how to "pass" the taxi as to what is required. But thanks

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."-----anonymous

Allright so basically too hard. I was affraid of that.

The taxi requires you taxi behind him, so first you park behind him, then he starts driving and you follow him. I don't know when your taxi fails but if it is at the end of the taxi run, it was a bug in first version I made.

The thing was I made it so difficult because I was a bit intimidated by all the simulator experience around on the forum. So I thought, if I make it easy, no one will like it.

But now I maybe achieved the opposite :)

Allright so basically too hard. I was affraid of that.

The taxi requires you taxi behind him, so first you park behind him, then he starts driving and you follow him. I don't know when your taxi fails but if it is at the end of the taxi run, it was a bug in first version I made.

The thing was I made it so difficult because I was a bit intimidated by all the simulator experience around on the forum. So I thought, if I make it easy, no one will like it.

But now I maybe achieved the opposite :)

I believe on two of my taxi attpempts, I was rolling (never came to a complete stop) and when the flare fired I continued and received the "fail" On the other, I had come to a stop about ??20 meters behind him and when the flare was fired and he started moving, I did the same. I immediately received the "fail" . I am not the greatest when it comes to airplane handling and I attribute much of it to my very used and recently purchased X52. Might be easier with a different set up. Still wish to say thanks

It's not too hard... it's a challenge :)

I'd love to try it out but I'm on a laptop and I can't find a keycombo that lets me move the throttles from off to idle. Therefor this mission is a non-starter for me. Engines have to be running.

To elaborate... my keyboard has a numpad but it is limited. I've tried re-assigning keys but that didn't work either. If anyone can help me get the engines started I'll show you how to get 100 points :)

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

Engine start is RCTRL + HOME for right engine and RALT + HOME for left engine. You can reassign at will.

Listed under "engine start" in control options.

Listed under "engine start" in control options.

I must be doing something wrong...

There's no engine start in my control options... only "Engine Control Panel" and "Flight Control". In "Flight Control" I've assigned the '[' and ']' keys to "Throttle Up Step" (left and right). Also tried it for "Throttle Up" (left and right). I can't get it to work...

Geskes,

I've completed my first exercise and had a dismal score of 27%. Some observations...

1) Taxi challenge is fun but I don't consider this part of the exercise (which is to fly the pattern by the numbers). I would leave the scoring out. By all means, keep the hummer as a follow-me.. nice touch!

1a) Can we start from the tarmac i.s.o. shelter? My aircraft is parked in such a way that 1 out of 2 times my left wing touches the wall and I'm unable to exit the shelter...

2) Have the hummer drive off-road, back to the parking area. I was waiting for him to clear the runway which he never did. After a minute or two I taxied past him. I have no patience :)

3) After Take-off. I should be able to keep the flaps at take-off setting as it'll help me control the aircraft better while flying the circuit at 180kts (which is rather slow).

4) 60deg. bank during turns in the pattern is a little bit too aggressive for my liking. If that is part of the challenge then fine. I'd prefer 30deg.

5) Have each challenge scored separately in the final tally. I'd like to know how I did throughout the exercise as opposed to having a final (total) score.

Great mission and a lot of fun. Don't take the above as criticism, I had blast flying it. I can see you put a lot of work in it.

PS; Ha!... 71%

Edited by chaos

Hey great response Chaos! This is certainly helpful. Also I like to see you got 71% and scoring above 50% thus isnt TOO hard by default.

I will definitely implement your suggestions. The flaps and also the seperate scoring are good ideas. I planned on doing seperate score initially but then I found it to be a bit much work for a mission I didn't know yet if anyone would like it. Also 60 degree, yes very agressive, I might make it 30, but those points where intended as kind of like a bonus. But I think you are right, for a genuine practice mission it should be 30 degrees.

I failed on the taxi-test so I could've had 81% :-) Mind you, the landing wasn't the smoothest but the gear was still servicable. Oh.. and no autopilot to keep level either. That would be cheating! I have the *trk :)

Regarding flaps... it's actually fine to retract the flaps since it is so close to the flap-limit speed as it is. I'd say drop the bankangle requirement (make it 30 or so) because 60 degrees will get you too close to the stall regime with flaps up...

Edited by chaos

Acutally 60° turns are completely correct for a pattern. Just increase your thrust as soon as you roll into the turn to maintain speed. That way you should be safe from stalls. But: A pattern should be flown at 1500ft (+field elevation).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Hey thanks for that Jabog! I didnt know the exact altitude so made it 2000ft + elevation! Will adapt! Many thanks!

Do you also happen to know what pattern speed should be for A-10? Its 180 now in this mission.

• Like 1

Just have a look at the illustration in the DCS manual or the one in the Dash1. Basically they're both pretty much the same.

But 180-200 is good, getting slower in the final, until final approach speed is set.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

I now see the manual DOES have a detailed pattern description. The first time I checked it I didn't notice it. I looked at landing traffic pattern but it is a few pages down. How sloppy of me! Many Thanks again!

love this mission thank u very much... i was thinking the other day how i needed something like this... basic training, if u have the time keep em coming!! maybe even a quik start voice over training mission... kinda like the instructer is over comms guiding u through the start up procedure... the in game start up training mis. takes to long... with your skills I could see u taking us through basic training... basic training "Start up", "Taxing", "Take-off" "Flight pattern" (already done) "Formation" etc. sorry ijust think u have done some really cool things and Im thinkin of other awesome things that could be done with ur knowledge of the ME. take care and thx for this great mission... u make it easy for guys like me...:thumbup:

Many Thanks for the compliment Zed!

I could do some more like this on other things but let me first make this one better, this one specifically was quite a bit of work because of the trigger system involved with evaluating player aircraft parameters so it would be a waste if I don't make it completely resembling an actual pattern.

I will say right now that I will not do something like a startup or a take-off because I think those things are already excellently covered by the training that come with the sim. (even though it takes too long :)). You can grab updated training missions from here if you didnt find them yet:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=61822

Everything not covered by the default training missions could be considered though.