Interactive Traffic Pattern Trainer 1.0beta

Geskes

Great idiea to make this kind of mission Geskes! I've just dicovered this mission today and I will try it.

Many of us love to do the thing as they are done in real life. And this kind of missions help us to do it and learning how the plane must be handled.

Thanks mate!!

Un Saludo!

Many of us love to do the thing as they are done in real life.

Join a virtual squadron! They do stuff like that each day... even with multiple aircraft within the pattern! :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Thanks for the advice Jabog. I'm already member of an spanish virtual squadron and right now we are inmersed on a project that simulates all the process, stages and procedures followed by real spanish air force pilots in order to earn their wings :thumbup:.

@Geskes: I've downloaded the file, it is a zip with many .ogg and .wav files but none of them is a .miz so I can't fly your mission. There are two files (mission and options) that has no extension. I've tried to rename them as .miz but it doesn't work. I have few days with the sim and I don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Un Saludo!

• Like 1

The file you download should have .miz extension.

No need to extract that. Just place it in your missions folder, run DCS and select it from mission load screen.

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

According to the Dash 1, a standard traffic pattern is 300 kts clean on the down wind to abeam the airport, at 3000 ft AGL.

Abeam the airport, idle thrust and descend to 2000 ft and 200 kts.

Passing the point where the airport is off to the rear left at 45 degrees, 60 degree turn to base. Extend 15 degrees of flap and gear.

When the airport is between the wing tip and the canopy, perform another left turn slowing to final app and descending to 1000 ft.

By the time you are rolled on the runway heading you should be at approach speed, at 1000 ft AGL and 3 nm from touchdown.

All turns are using 60 degrees of roll.

Best regards,

Tango.

You should consider the difference between entering a pattern vom outside of the control-zone (i.e. RTB from a mission) and flying multiple patterns for training purposes.

When you RTB into the pattern your speed may be 300kts in the downwind-leg, but steadily decreasing.

When you take-off to enter the pattern, you will most likely not be able to climb to pattern altitude, turn into the downwind and accelarate to 300kts before you need to turn into base and final.

We did already some testings on this, according to our squadron internal pattern-procedures (very much like the pattern illustrated in Dash1 and the A-10C-Manual). something between 200 and 250kts (depending on weight) and an altitude of 1500ft+field elevation, can be considered as a realistic number (as with BETA3 FM).

If an aircraft enters the pattern from outside of the control-zone (via Entry Point), it has to take other aircrafts position, height, speed and intention into account, when setting up his aircraft to join the pattern.

You see, that this whole pattern-thing is a little bit dynamic at some stages.

@Geskes: If you like, we can set up a date and time, so we (a bunch of the vJaBoG32) and you can go for some pattern-training according to our docs and procedures. Best hop into our forums and drop us a line there. Just open a thread HERE. You're of course free to post in english!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was already thinking how I was supposed to get 300kts but yes that is of course the difference between pattern entry from take-off and from another waypoint to return to base.

I really appreciate the suggestion to come take a look, I will post on your forums so we can arrange a time.

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

• 2 weeks later...

Just because I'm curious, and I'm NOT trying to criticize or belittle the work you've done here in any way, but why 60 degrees of roll? Nobody in their right mind would turn base to final with 60 degrees of bank. I get that you want it to be a challenge, and I think that's fantastic, but if you want this to be a training mission, I think it might be better to emphasize moderate, smooth, and accurate while in the pattern. Just my 2 cents.

It's because a military pattern is flown with 60degrees bank IRL.

As you begin to slow down from downwind to base, the last turn will maybe have a bit less bank.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I respectfully disagree. In a 360 degree overhead landing pattern, your initial turn from upwind leg to downwind will likely be 60-80 degrees of bank depending upon your entry speed, but after that with gear down, flaps down, and likely boards open, there's no way in the world you're going to use that much bank angle for a turn from downwind to final.

This is an A-10 landing at Leeuwarden AFB. The 180 degree turn from downwind to final is MAYBE 30 degrees, and more like 20 degrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dulJdOOAPo

Yes, 60° bank and nose level, better said velocity vector 0ft/min, means a 2G-turn. Thats how a military pattern should be flown. But as I already said, by the dependence of speed and turn-radius, your downwind to final turn (configured and slow) will of course take some degrees less than from TO/upwind to downwind.

We always fly it that way and it's by far not impossible.

Remember that you will never go into a pattern with a full loaded AC. If you do I'd guess it's gonna be handled like an emergency where you don't need to stick to the procedures that close.

@Geskes: Pls answer my last PM! ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I still disagree with the intent that a turn to final should be at 60 degrees. While the DCS manual says this is correct, nowhere in the ACTUAL 1A-10C1 - A-10C Flight Manual does it say this. Page 237 of the actual flight manual for the aircraft states you should maintain an on-speed AoA indication, but no slower than computer airspeed (135/145 KIAS, flaps down/up). This is all based upon a 30,000lb gross weight, adding 2 KIAS per 1,000 pounds of additional weight.

NO mention of bank angle is ever specified in any section of any type of approach or landing for the A-10C in the actual USAF issued flight manual.

And I repeat to say that the turn to final will NOT be at 60°!

Maybe re-read my posting!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, I read your post.

My reply was more to Geskes who quoted the DCS manual. I apologize for not being more clear on that.

FWIW - a 60 degree banked, level turn @ 2G raises the aircraft stall speed by more than 41%. The actual A-10C manual is very interesting to read.

NP mate!

When turning from downwind to final, I set speed completely according to my AOA Speed Indexer. Procedure-specs (basically speed) are not valid from this point on, as things highly depend on various factors. The AOA-Speed Indexer is a very useful instrument for the final approach!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes I looked in dash 1 manual also but not yet when I made the mission. The tables are indeed very interesting in that document.

I said 'bonus' points on the bank angle because I wasnt sure of the angles I used then so yes its bonus :) I understand it is very annoying to hear me whining about your bank angle all the time :D. I don't think its a real showstopper though because it is only couple of points for turn to final. If someone wants to do all 30 degree banks, he is of course free to do that but no 100% score then in this version.

Mission was now uploaded in this form to get feedback on the pattern parameters so thanks for that!

I will try and make mission as true-to-life as possible and it will be used in the Flight Qualifications Campaign posted also in User Mission and Campaign forum.

PS Jabog I have posted on your forums.

It seems that sometimes the download site gives you zip file. This is incorrect. You should be getting only a .miz file. I have read many posts with people getting zips from this site. I do not know how to circumvent this.

Maybe you need to log in or something no clue.

I have uploaded the mission to google documents for anyone experiencing this issue. This is the link:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BybKm7E2zzioZjExMzAxM2ItNmFkZS00ZWYxLWFjZTItYjNkY2ZjZWYzZTY4&hl=en

I dunno, I think you should be able to get the google file. I cannot upload file here on this forum because it is too big.

What happens then when you follow the google link??

Regards,

Geskes

How about putting the .miz-file in a .rar/zip. ?

LOFC missions used to get corrupted when transfered unpacked.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]