A 10 target aquisition

Giantsfan24

In real life, given the lack of the hog's radar, are they pretty dependent on knowing where the enemy is in advance to be effective? I ask because I just played a mission where you has to search and area for the enemy, and without them starting to shoot rockets, I prolly never would have known they were there. The TGP(forget the mav) is not that good at a wide search of an area UNLESS you have a waypoint already set up to know the specific area to search.

I put this here instead of the beta forum since it has more to do with the a10 in general. Mind you, this is not a complaint but rather a genuine question as to how the a10's, in real life, get targets.

In reallife you get coordinates by Infantry units or Reconnaissance, which just need to be programmed into the cdu to clearly locate the enemy. The A-10 does not just search an Area for enemy units as she wouldnt survive quite long. So far enemy units have been spotted so the hog will be requested. There also is the possibility to become a target illuminated (laser marked) by infatry units or Army reconnaissance Helicopters like the OH-58 KIOWA (where as thats a conceivable guess).

ÉDIT: So you´d modify your missions, that you provide rough coordinates in the briefing, or recieving them by executing a trigger (Radiomessage). There´s a guy around who provides some awesome videos in Youtube about how to handle the CDU and working with Coordinates. Search for Headspace (user). Or check this PDF created by Kylania

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

I'd imagine in real life most of a charlie hog pilot's info would come from the SADL. The AWACS, ABCCC, and JTAC can D-Link you info on enemy positions before you get assignments. ( Remember, pg. 311 ). I remember specifically from the JTAC manual in the A-10 manuals section of the forum details that JTACs in RL lase the target, upload the info from the rangefinder to their toughbook :) set the type of unit on their toughbook, then upload this info onto the SADL, which the A-10 and F-16 pilots can see, meanwhile, going to a gateway platform ( C-130 ) which uploads the info to Link-16. Whew, that is all I know for now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can receive intel about the general area of the enemy, and use the FLIR/eyeball to search for the enemy. Remember that in the Balkans A-10A pilots only had binoculars and sparse ground intelligence, they had to visual scan the ground and loiter quite a bit of time over the target to find artillery pieces and armor camouflaged. Actually they were the FAC themselves to other allied aircraft.

Also remeber we have digital maps from Blackshark that, although still not covering the entire new terrain, are quite complete and useful to know your surroundings. If you keep your situational awareness of where you are and the general location of the enemy, waypoints aren't that much need.

I agree with the points above - loiter and look! I find it is harder to spot targets than in DCS:BS, but it seems it isn't because they're not showing up - I'm just not seeing them.

I find it is quite useful to boresight the TGP (you get a little diamond on the HUD), visually acquire a target, pull the nose around then when the diamond is near, ground-stabilize the TGP then go hunting for targets to pick off.

Best regards,

Tango.

I find it is quite useful to boresight the TGP (you get a little diamond on the HUD), visually acquire a target, pull the nose around then when the diamond is near, ground-stabilize the TGP then go hunting for targets to pick off.

I prefer to use the HUD sensor when hunting visually, I think it's the "TDC"? Quick to slew around and ground stabilise it. After putting it near the target, you can make it the SPI and use "China hat forward long" to slew the TGP or Maverick seeker to its location.

I think it's actually quite a useful learning experience to set up a scenario where you don't have the targeting pod, and locate and engage targets using the HUD.

Didn't they do that with other airplanes that have radar?

No, read Robert Smallwood's book on the A10 in Desert Storm, he interviewed just about all of the A10A crews that flew in the conflict.

The A10A's were tasked with Scud hunting and were given a kill boxes in the tri-border area in which to search. They searched by Mk1 eyeball and binoculars (getting some serious eye strain as a result) and then killed them visually or by using the Maverick.

At night they used the Maverick as a FLIR (even though in initial training this was forbidden). Though to quote one of them "this was like flying looking through a 6 degree FOV straw, not great but best available at night". I think, cant quite remember, that they were also given night vision binoculars later in the war. The A10A wasnt set up for NVG as it was considered a daytime aircraft right up until the start of Desert Strm

Get the book, its great. Also get his F15E book, in which they did scud hunt but generally the F15E's went after fixed Scud sites in the 1st few days of the war using the ground mapper to find the site, of course they had the benefit of TFR and a FLIR HUD mode to help too.

J.

Rig: Home Built, water cooled,i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS P8P67Pro Mobo, 8GB Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 RAM, MSI Nvidia GTX970 4GB Gaming OC, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Boot, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Games (BS & WH), Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB other,

Samsung UE37D5000 37" LED TV,EloTouch 1600x1200 secondary, Thrustmaster Warthog No.467, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR4 with Track Clip Pro.

Ex RAF Aircrew, Real Life Pilot, proud Geek and father of one :)