Flight Qualifications Campaign

Quick Link Reference:

We have a blog: http://mapleflagmissions.blogspot.ca/

=== Basic Flight Training Qualification ===

bft.jpg

Now updated for the DCS World OpenBeta Versions:

OpenBeta Basic Flight Training Qualification- 12 mission Campaign covering qualifications for Basic Aircraft Qualification (BAQ).

Normal DCS World Versions:

Basic Flight Training Qualification - 12 mission Campaign covering qualifications for Basic Aircraft Qualification (BAQ).

Basic Flight Training Qualification Practice Mission Package - Provides 12 Single Player missions that mimic the Campaign qualification missions and feature additional training dialogue and runway or in-air starts.

Basic Flight Training Qualification Documentation - Provides Mission Data Cards, Maps and Diagrams for all 12 missions of the campaign.

Basic Flight Training Qualification Documentation 2 - Provides User Bars, Badges and Certificates for the Campaign.

=== Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification ===

aat.jpg

OpenBeta Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification - 10 mission Campaign covering qualifications for Basic Mission Capable (BMC). Note both Part A and Part B are needed. Part B can be found here.

Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification - 10 mission Campaign covering qualifications for Basic Mission Capable (BMC). Note both Part A and Part B are needed. Part B can be found here.

Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification Practice Mission Package - Provides 10 Single Player missions that mimic the Campaign qualification missions and feature additional training dialogue and in-air starts.

Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification Documentation - Provides Mission Data Cards, Maps and Diagrams for all 10 missions of the campaign.

Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification Documentation 2 - Provides User Bars, Badges and Certificates for the Campaign.

=== Tactical Training Qualification ===

Copy%20of%20TT.jpg

OpenBeta Tactical Training Qualification - 15 mission Campaign covering qualifications for Combat Mission Ready (CMR). Note both Part A and Part B are needed. Part B can be found here.

Tactical Training Qualification - 15 mission Campaign covering qualifications for Combat Mission Ready (CMR). Note both Part A and Part B are needed. Part B can be found here.

Tactical Training Qualification Documentation - Provides Mission Data Cards, Maps and Diagrams for all 15 missions of the campaign.

Tactical Training Qualification Documentation 2 - Provides User Bars, Badges and Certificates for the Campaign.

Backstory:

I've searched the forums but couldn't find a reference to this topic so starting a new thread.

The training in DCS-A10C is excellent but what I would like to have is a Flight Qualification Campaign that mimics the training and flight quals of what an actual A10 pilot would go through.

Each mission would cover a specific training element and to pass you need to succeed with each mission. At the end of the campaign you would be considered qualified to fly the A-10C in combat.

I realize this is a game and you can just jump right into a combat mission but given the realism in this sim I would like to pass a formal qualification test before moving onto combat missions.

I've done the research and came up with this model:

The A-10C Pilot Qualification Course has the following phases

Phase 1: Academic Classes and Pre-Flight Training

Phase 2: Basic Flight Training Qualification

Phase 3: Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification

Phase 4: Tactical Training Qualification

Phase 1 gives you Initial Qualification Training (IQT) and is a pre-requisite for Phase 2. Hopefully you have completed Phase 1 and are familiar with the A-10C aircraft systems and instruments. If not, please read the A-10C Flight Manual before continuing.

Phase 2 gives you Basic Aircraft Qualification (BAQ).

It is a pre-requisite for Phase 3. It is recommended that you complete this phase before proceeding to Phase 3.

Phase 3 makes you Basic Mission Capable (BMC). It is a pre-requisite for Phase 4.

Phase 4 makes you Combat Mission Ready (CMR). This is necessary before proceeding on any real combat missions.

Phase 2 - Basic Flight Training Qualification contains:

Contact Stage (VFR):

1. Perform Ground Handling

2. Perform Take-Off and EFATO

3. Fly Traffic Pattern

4. Perform Approach and Landing

5. Perform Basic Maneuvers

6. Perform Advanced Handling

7. Perform Aerobatics

8. Respond to Emergencies

Instrument / Navigation Stage (IFR):

9. Instrument Approach (Landing)

10. Instrument Flight Plan Navigation

Formation Stage:

11. Fly 2 Ship as Wingman

Low-Level Stage

12. Fly Low-Level Flight Plan

Basic Flight Training Qualification Practice Mission Package is available which provides 12 Single Player missions that feature additional training dialogue and runway or in-air starts.

Basic Flight Training Qualification Documentation is available which includes Mission Data Cards, Maps and Diagrams for all 12 missions of the campaign.

Basic Flight Training Qualification Documentation 2 - Provides User Bars, Badges and Certificates for the Campaign.

Phase 3 - Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification contains:

Advanced Flight Training Stage

AFT01 - Air to Air Refueling Day

AFT02 - Air to Air Refueling Night

AFT03 - Countermeasures and Threat Avoidance

AFT04 - Target Area Ingress Preparation

AFT05 - Illumination Flare Employment

Air to Air Combat Stage:

AAT06 - AA Gun and Missile Employment

Surface Attack Stage:

AAT07 - Gun & Rocket Employment

AAT08 - Unguided Bomb Employment

AAT09 - Guided Bomb Employment

AAT10 - Missile Employment

Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification Practice Mission Package - Provides 10 Single Player missions that mimic the Campaign qualification missions and feature additional training dialogue and in-air starts.

Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification Documentation is available and includes Mission Data Cards, Maps, Loadout Diagrams and Target images for all 10 missions of the campaign.

Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification Documentation 2 - Provides User Bars, Badges and Certificates for the Campaign.

Phase 4: Tactical Training Qualification contains:

Close Air Support Tactical Stage:

TAC11 - FAC / JTAC Coordination

TAC12 - Stationary and Moving Target Tasking

TAC13 - Danger Close Tasking

TAC14 - SEAD Tasking

Battlefield Air Interdiction Tactical Stage:

TAC15 - Deep Interdiction Tasking Day

TAC16 - Deep Interdiction Tasking Night

TAC17 - Deep Interdiction Tasking Special Forces Coordination

Airborne Forward Air Controller (AFAC) Tactical Stage:

TAC18 - SADL Datalink Engagement

TAC19 - CAS Mission Management Day

TAC20 - CAS Mission Management Night

TAC21 - BAI Mission Management Day

TAC22 - BAI Mission Management Night

Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) Tactical Stage:

TAC23 - CSAR Management Day

TAC24 - CSAR Management Night

Tactical Summary Stage:

TAC25 - Simulated Combat Mission

Tactical Training Qualification Documentation is available and includes Mission Data Cards, Maps, Loadout Diagrams and Target images for all 15 missions of the campaign.

Tactical Training Qualification Documentation 2 - Provides User Bars, Badges and Certificates for the Campaign.

We have a blog: http://mapleflagmissions.blogspot.ca/

Edited by Sabre-TLA
Update
  • Like 3

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

should be possible with the built in training missions and campaign system. You'd need to add mission goals into the mix on each mission and viola. The only downside is that its just the training missions done in order. Obviously it would be best to create a series of relevant missions that test a few specific aspects of the aircraft and aren't as much step by step tutorials.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Agreed. I'd set them up so you can't proceed to the next mission until you passed the current qualification. I don't think they would be training missions as much as checkrides proving that you have learned the training.

Similar to this from the SUPT Phase 2: http://www.baseops.net/militarypilot/primary_flying.html

Agreed it would be a great idea!! Alot of work involved in creating it im sure. I for one would need it to get and keep up to speed.

Don't ask me for advice on these Two Subjects:

1.. How to Take Off in the Dora!

2.. How to Land the Dora!

UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE!

I would like to see some tactics training missions as well. I havent seen anything that teaches you how to properly enter into a hot zone without getting yourself in trouble or how to dogfight. I realize the A-10 isnt a fighter aircraft but there will be times when evasion from a hostile aircraft will be nessesary and engagement of enemy aircraft might be your only option. The AA training mission doesnt show much at all. Something showing the proper techniques for missle evasion would be a plus too.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

It is very hard to make something like you suggest sweinhart. Sure you can make a practice scenario but the question is if it will teach you how to do it in an entirely different situation. I don't think so.

As for how to get into a hotzone without getting in trouble its quite straightforward. Make sure you stay out of engagement evelope of ground threats and you will be fine.

Of course there is more to it but reading theory is more suitable for that then training mission because a training mission will only show you one example and doesnt learn you how to adapt your tactics to an entirely different threat mix on the ground. It is too specific for the partical situation.

Same kind of goes for missile evasion, if you know the theory, you can apply it to any situation. There are military studies on missile evasion publically available if you want to delve into it more deeply. Check for example this one on evading A-A heaters:

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA053267&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

or this more general thesis:

http://etd.lib.metu.edu.tr/upload/12609490/index.pdf

or check this google scholar search link and see how many there are:

http://scholar.google.nl/scholar?q=surface+to+air+missile+evasion&hl=nl&btnG=Zoeken&lr=

If this is bit too much, I suggest just searching this forum, there must be multiple threads on that subject. (I guess)

Dogfighting is not suitable for A-10 so if there are airborne threats you need back-up or get out of the area. If it comes down to engaging enemy aircraft being the only option something has gone terrible wrong and you might as well just eject to safe you the stress of trying to evade your attackers.

Edited by Geskes

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

I agree with Geskes that in most encounters with fighters the A-10 doesn't have much of a chance.

However in one unforgettable FC2 multiplayer experience a Mig 29 tried to shoot me down with a head on guns pass. He took out my hud and scored some hits to my fuel tank but I was able to turn into him and kill him with an AIM 9. I just put him in my hud and when I got the seeker tone I launched. He couldn't evad and was likely surprised as heck when my missile got him.

I doubt I could ever do that again in a similar encounter but what a rush to kill the bad guy when he thought he had me dead to rights. I'll never forget it. :-)

It's experiences like that that keep me in this hobby and loving these games.

It would be nice if someone has a link to some footage of aviation checkrides.

I can find some but of course you have to pay to see anything more then just an intro.

Also links to detailed accurate descriptions of execution of aerobatics and bfm are highly welcome.

Maybe this thread should be moved to User missions and campaigns subforum? This one is meant for the stock campaigns/missions.

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

• 2 weeks later...

Its not useless to a pilot because if you know how the systems function, you know how you can fool them.

The thesis about heaters in fact does contain concrete methods for pilots and the purpose of the thesis was to find a good strategy for pilots.

Glad it brought a giggle on your face, I'm all up for making people laugh.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay in posting an update. My brother in law passed away last week and we had to fly to Winnipeg for the funeral.

I'm still tweaking the first mission (Ground Handling) but here is the current draft layout of the Training Qualification Course:

The A-10C Pilot Qualification Course has the following phases:

Phase 1: Academic Classes and Pre-Flight Training

Phase 2: Basic Flight Training Campaign

Phase 3: Advanced Aircraft Training Fighter / Bomber Track Campaign

Hopefully you have completed Phase 1 and are familiar with the A-10C aircraft systems and instruments. If not, please read the DCS A-10C Flight Manual before continuing.

The goal of the A-10C Pilot Qualification Course is to prepare cadets for combat operations flying the A-10C in a number of mission roles. Commanders require pilots with the skills and training necessary to be successful on the battlefield.

Each Phase of training will contain individual Performance Objectives (POs) that must be met to pass the course. Performance Checks (PCs) will be used to determine if you have met the requirements of the PO. Failure of any 2 PCs or any supplemental PC attempt will constitute course failure.

Following each flight (known as a Check Ride) your IP will rate you using one of the following proficiency levels:

Level 1 – Cadet was not capable of completing the task. Cadet required verbal or physical assistance to avoid making major errors. Further instruction is required.

Level 2 – Cadet completed the task but required verbal or physical assistance to avoid making major errors. Further practice is required.

Level 3 – Cadet completed the task but with minor errors. Cadet required minimal assistance to analyze or correct errors.

Level 4 – Cadet completed the task without assistance making only minor errors. Cadet was able to analyze and correct errors.

Level 5 – Cadet completed the task without assistance and without errors.

Basic Flight Training has the following objectives:

Contact Stage (VFR):

1. Perform Ground Handling
  2. Perform Take-Off and EFATO
  3. Fly Traffic Pattern
  4. Perform Approach and Landing
  5. Perform Basic Maneuvers
  6. Perform Advanced Handling
  7. Perform Aerobatics
  8. Respond to Emergencies

Instrument / Navigation Stage (IFR):

1. Instrument Approach (Landing)
  2. Instrument Flight Plan Navigation

Formation Stage:

1. Fly 2 Ship as Wingman
  2. Fly 2 Ship as Lead
  3. Tactical Formations
  4. Extended Trail

Low-Level Stage:

1. Fly Low-Level Flight Plan

If you want to help with some of the missions please send me a PM to initiate contact. Comments and feedback are welcome!
  • Like 1

Here is the layout for Phase 3: Advanced Aircraft Training Fighter / Bomber Track Campaign:

Advanced Aircraft Training Fighter / Bomber Track has the following objectives:

Advanced Flight Training Stage:

1. AAT1 - Air to Air Refueling Day
  2. AAT2- Air to Air Refueling Night
  3. AAT3 - Countermeasures and Threat Avoidance
  4. AAT4 - Target Area Ingress Preparation
  5. AAT5 - Illumination Flare Employment

Air to Air Combat Stage:

1. AAT6 - Gun Employment
  2. AAT7 - Missile Employment

Surface Attack Stage:

1. AAT8 - Gun Employment Day
  2. AAT9 - Gun Employment Night
  3. AAT10 - Unguided Bomb Employment Day
  4. AAT11 - Unguided Bomb Employment Night
  5. AAT12 - Laser Guided Bomb Employment
  6. AAT13 - IAM and JDAM Bomb Employment
  7. AAT14 - Rocket Employment
  8. AAT15 - Missile Employment

Close Air Support Tactical Stage:

1. TAC16 - FAC / JTAC Coordination
  2. TAC17 - Stationary and Moving Target Tasking
  3. TAC18 - Danger Close Tasking
  4. TAC19 - SEAD Tasking

Battlefield Air Interdiction Tactical Stage:

1. TAC20 - Deep Interdiction Tasking Day
  2. TAC21 - Deep Interdiction Tasking Night
  3. TAC22 - Deep Interdiction Tasking Special Forces Coordination
  4. TAC23 - Rear Echelon Interdiction Day
  5. TAC24 - Rear Echelon Interdiction Night

Airborne Forward Air Controller (AFAC) Tactical Stage:

1. TAC25 - CAS Mission Management Day
  2. TAC26 - CAS Mission Management Night
  3. TAC27 - BAI Mission Management Day
  4. TAC28 - BAI Mission Management Night
  5. TAC29 - SADL Datalink Engagement

Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) Tactical Stage:

1. TAC30 - CSAR Management Day
  2. TAC31 - CSAR Management Night

Tactical Summary Stage:

1. TAC32 - Simulated Combat Mission

Again, if you want to contribute please pm me.

Thanks.

What an absolutely brilliant idea for a campaign! I can't wait to see how this develops/unfolds. I'd love to help out, but man I'm SO overwhelmed by this sim still. I'm just now to the point where I can get the aircraft started, configured, and cleared through takeoff without the manual or prompting.

• 4 weeks later...

Now Sabre, is is possible to break each phase into separate "Chapters" ?

That way those who are competent in landing, etc or the more mundane things can go straight to the more challenging items?

Such as for example, if I want to practice Air to Air refueling, I don't want to land and takeoff to get there

Dell Studio XPS 1650

Intel i7 1.60 ghz

6gb ram

300mb HD

ATI Mobility Radeon 4670