Flight Qualifications Campaign

Mine also switched back to AAT 03 as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The practice mission worked fine. It's the campaign mission that was not working. Will edit my logbook and try again tonight.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In AAT06 how do you shoot the helicopters without being able to use the AIM-9s (because of constant countermeasures) or going below 5000 ft?

I'm also under the impression some mission briefings are cut such as the AAT07 practice mission... it just stops in the middle and there's no mention of minimum altitude, apparently 250 ft?

Edited by Archer7

Are you overflying the WP's? Sounds like you are missing some triggers so things aren't working in sequence. Try flying directly over the WP markers that should ensure you hit the trigger zone. In the next update I'll make the zones bigger so they are easier to hit.

There is a briefing issue bug that was introduced in DCS World 1.2.8.27915

The same bug also impacts missions scripts that are too long.

You can read about it here.

Not sure when it will get fixed but hopefully soon.

Edited by Sabre-TLA

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Are you overflying the WP's? Sounds like you are missing some triggers so things aren't working in sequence. Try flying directly over the WP markers that should ensure you hit the trigger zone. In the next update I'll make the zones bigger so they are easier to hit.

There is a briefing issue bug that was introduced in DCS World 1.2.8.27915

The same bug also impacts missions scripts that are too long.

You can read about it here.

Not sure when it will get fixed but hopefully soon.

Ok, edited my logbook and made another try. During Fence in the instructor told me to make a markpoint on the target. I think that was my problem last time. I turned onto the target too early which prohibited the IP trigger to work. Everything seems to be fine now. Thanks for your outstanding work Sabre, especially since DCS is bringing in new "features" with every second patch. :megalol:

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After COLT 1-2 checks in with the Range Controller you should hear:

"COLT 1-2 CONFIRMS.

ALL ALTITUDES,

CLEAR OF CLOUDS,

HARD DECK 500.

I HAVE CONTROL."

So you can go as low as 500' before you break the Hard Deck.

To kill the helicopters I usually gun them. I use the AIM-9s on the two aircraft and if you miss with those then you have to gun them too.

After COLT 1-2 checks in with the Range Controller you should hear:

"COLT 1-2 CONFIRMS.

ALL ALTITUDES,

CLEAR OF CLOUDS,

HARD DECK 500.

I HAVE CONTROL."

So you can go as low as 500' before you break the Hard Deck.

To kill the helicopters I usually gun them. I use the AIM-9s on the two aircraft and if you miss with those then you have to gun them too.

Good. I must've missed the hard deck chatter.

I've started the AAT campaign now and AFT01 was great, a lot livelier than the practice mission.

Everything went perfectly except for times on target that didn’t want to work with me at all.

However I saw one bug: the runway I decided to stop entirely and that triggered the shutdown procedure so after speeding into my parking spot I only had 30 seconds to shut down … a shame because otherwise I might have had a Q+.

I disconnected immediately on my first connect by accident but I don’t think I successfully connected at all so it may not have counted.

75 minutes so the time estimate of needing 70 minutes is quite spot on.

I think the TOT's work good if you keep your briefed Take off time. I need 11 minutes for ramp start and wait the 4 minutes until TO. When you have programmed your Nav System as briefed you should be fine with approx. 240 kts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Completed campaign AFT02. 85 minutes, had to abort one landing at Batumi because of zero visibility. Only bug is again that the shutdown timer starts early when you stop anywhere on the ground including on or after clearing the runway.

Oh and in both AFT01 and AFT02 I experienced my first connection not counting, maybe because I was too quick? In AFT01 I made my first connection and the instructor didn’t seem to notice at all and then I accidentally disconnected immediately and he didn’t tell me I disconnected to soon either. In AFT02 I did the same thing but didn’t disconnect and it took him 10 seconds to say I was connected and then I accidentally disconnected and he scolded me for it.

Not a major problem but if you’re quick to connect your free disconnect card is wasted.

Any hints for AFT03? My strategy has been to go shallow and fly over the woods, skip waypoint 4 and continue going east through the woods which ends with me coming out of the woods straight above a MANPADS and then flying south to the egress while dodging the final few AAAs. I’m not sure how ideal this is and while bobbing up and down works nicely for dodging AAAs I’m not sure how I’m supposed to avoid the MANPADS.

Hi All, i wanted to know if anyone has tried/passed the TAC16 Deep Interdiction Night mission. It's gotten the best of me so far. Any tips would be appreciated.

The Target is heavily defended, a Shilka and at least 2 MANPADS, I've managed to kill the Shilka but end up catching a seeker after.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MB GIGABYTE | GA-Z68XP-UD3P Z68 R __ VGA XFX | HD-695X-ZNFC HD6950 1G R

PSU CORSAIR | 750W CMPSU-750TXV2 R __ CPU INTEL|CORE I7 2600K 3.4G 8M R

MEM 16G|GSKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR __ HDD 1T|WD WD10EARX SATA6G 64M %

MNTR ASUS|LCD 23" 2MS VH236H RT __ Xbox 360 USB Gamepad

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~ Winston Churchill

Not to give it away but if you need help you can view the following:

I learned that the best technique was a low ingress without breaking the hard deck at 100'.

As soon as you spot the target start pumping chaff and flares, start jinking and try to get at least one bomb on the target.

Since it's an ammo dump once you hit one of the sites the whole site will go up.

Egress low as well and continually pump chaff and flares until you are outside the range of the AAA and MANPADs. Get behind the hill as soon as you can but watch out for other threats in your flight path.

Stay in a low egress and continue jinking and pumping out chaff and flares until you are well outside of any threats.

I never tried it at a higher altitude as I think the threats will be hard to defeat the higher you are into their WEZ.

Good luck.

Edited by Sabre-TLA

Not to give it away but if you need help you can view the following:

I learned that the best technique was a low ingress without breaking the hard deck at 100'.

As soon as you spot the target start pumping chaff and flares, start jinking and try to get at least one bomb on the target.

Since it's an ammo dump once you hit one of the sites the whole site will go up.

Egress low as well and continually pump chaff and flares until you are outside the range of the AAA and MANPADs. Get behind the hill as soon as you can but watch out for other threats in your flight path.

Stay in a low egress and continue jinking and pumping out chaff and flares until you are well outside of any threats.

I never tried it at a higher altitude as I think the threats will be hard to defeat the higher you are into their WEZ.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, I will work on the methods you mentioned.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MB GIGABYTE | GA-Z68XP-UD3P Z68 R __ VGA XFX | HD-695X-ZNFC HD6950 1G R

PSU CORSAIR | 750W CMPSU-750TXV2 R __ CPU INTEL|CORE I7 2600K 3.4G 8M R

MEM 16G|GSKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR __ HDD 1T|WD WD10EARX SATA6G 64M %

MNTR ASUS|LCD 23" 2MS VH236H RT __ Xbox 360 USB Gamepad

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~ Winston Churchill

• 2 weeks later...

I've a slight issue with some of the approach/landing missions. Basically my issue is with the use of glidepath, I understand that you want to test if the player is using correct approach (not to deep/shallow), but to check that so strictly in VFR feels just wrong to me.

Not to mention that teaching player to use EGI for approach glideslope guidance is just bad practice. EGI shouldn't be used for any kind final approach guidance.

This is just a small issue for me, I'm enjoying the campaign a lot so far (progress is very slow because of limited time) :)

Edited by winz

I've a slight issue with some of the approach/landing missions. Basically my issue is with the use of glidepath, I understand that you want to test if the player is using correct approach (not to deep/shallow), but to check that so strictly in VFR feels just wrong to me.

Not to mention that teaching player to use EGI for approach glideslope guidance is just bad practice. EGI shouldn't be used for any kind final approach guidance.

This is just a small issue for me, I'm enjoying the campaign a lot so far (progress is very slow because of limited time) :)

They are qualification missions so I don't think it would be appropriate to allow someone to pass if they are not on the glideslope. Maybe in real life flight examiners are more forgiving but this is a program so we need to work with what we got. We are using the same measures as in the training missions provided by ED.

Not sure I understand the EGI comment. Do you mean setting the HSI to 120 course for the approach? That's the heading to the runway so I don't follow why navigation to the airport wouldn't be part of the approach method. Can you be more specific about the EGI reference you are referring to?

I'm talking about the fourth mission - approach and landing. The whole mission is flown in VFR, without ILS. But you check if the player is on the glideslope - that is if the glideslope arrow is centered. But this is not a real glideslope, this is EGI computed altitude you should be at given distance from the point. This height is based on the point you're flying to and the previous point in flight plan.

This results in very shallow approach (image attached).

I agree that glideslope should be checked in instrument approach, but not for VFR. I think a check if the player isn't descending too fast/too slow would be more appropriate.

But that's just my opinion :)

Screen_141212_161146.thumb.jpg.9fe89e8516b80c3e202e915b5f0efb24.jpg

Thanks winz.

I've read that a good rule of thumb is 300' of altitude for every 1 nm from the runway threshold. So the glideslope could be measured like this:

1 nm = 300'

2 nm = 600'

3 nm = 900'

4 nm = 1200'

5 nm = 1500'

The current check in the mission is inside the 5nm mark and we are using the instrument glideslope indicator to determine high, low or on glideslope but I could switch it to an altitude check instead. For BFT09 which uses ILS this check is still valid so will leave it.

I think it might be harder to script a trigger that measures descent rate but I'll look into that.

We are updating the missions and adding a reference for PAPI as well since Batumi provides it though in testing (even on my big screen tv) I find it of little use except for large deviations off the glideslope.

Here is a reference for those not familiar with the terms glideslope or PAPI: http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/gs.htm

Edited by Sabre-TLA

I totally understand that you're limited by what can be done by the trigger system in ME, so I don't consider this anything else than a minor enhancement.

BTW I was curious how the speed is checked and I was impressed when I learned that the check is based on the AOA indicator, it shows that a lot of thought went into those missions. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We have been working on some improvements to the BFT campaign.

Soon we will be releasing similar campaigns for a number of different aircraft and we propagated bug fixes and issues we found in testing those missions to the A-10C BFT campaign.

The changes are mostly done so we are retesting to ensure we haven't introduced new bugs.

We hope to release the updated version in a few weeks.

While you are reviewing the BFT campaign, please take a look at number 2. I fly at the correct heading, speed and angels and yet I keep flying until I hit a mountain and never receive the request to shut off the right engine. In past posts, I have noticed that others have also complained about this issue.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I'm having a similar issue with BFT09. I'm told to fly heading 300, which with wind drift causes me to go off the ground track, when I try to correct I am yelled at to stay at 300. I then miss the trigger that tells me to go to the next waypoint, I try to turn and I am failed. This is very frustrating. 6th time I try this mission and it takes so long. I wish I can save =(. Either increase the trigger zone or allow more heading adjustment range so that I can correct for wind drift.

UPDATE: Also... please please please get the wingman out of the way. He crashed into me on approach. He follows a very tight formation and caused me to fail my mission again =(. This an IFR mission, he should not be flying a tight formation approach with me...

UPDATE2: tried again, failed now because I was told on the 2nd landing to stay at pattern altitude while I captured the glideslope . I started following the glideslope down and I was terminated again...Please please make this mission more robust I beg you =/. I have a track if you need it.

Edited by Buznee