Flight Qualifications Campaign

That way those who are competent in landing, etc or the more mundane things can go straight to the more challenging items?

All campaigns are a series of individual missions which can be opened independent of campaign progress. Playing it as a campaign simply organizes the missions into a linear progression where it requires the objectives of a given mission to be accomplished in order to move on to the next. So if you wanted to fly a specific qualification mission you can open up the specific mission whenever you want.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update...BFT1 - Ground Handling is almost done. Just doing final timing tweaks. I hope to post it up for trial usage sometime this weekend.

I've also started on BFT4 - Approach and Landing and BFT5 - Basic Maneuvers.

Rather than my Canadian 5 level performance rating I have decided to use the actual A/OA-10 Aircrew Evaluation Criteria: AFI11-2A-OA-10V2 (thanks to swift for the reference) which uses a Qualified, Qualified Minus and Unqualified rating system. With only 3 levels to program checks for, this makes it easier too.

I have most of the logistics worked out now so the missions should come fairly quickly. Once the trials are done I'll put them into a campaign which will force the mission order.

I've been debating on the realism aspect. Should all missions start on the ramp where you have to do an engine start, taxi and takeoff every time? Should you have to land successfully every time to pass?

This would be the most realistic (and further ingrain the procedures).

Opinions on this would be most welcome.

Edited by Sabre-TLA

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Yeah I think you should do a full ramp and land. It also depends on where you want to go with it Sabre. You could easily do a brush up or short course that starts in the air. Don't know how you are creating but you could make an in air start or runway start from the original full training mission.

I do like the idea of having to do a full start up and takeoff/land. Just adds to the realism of it!

When I build a mission, taking off from ramp, landing, and back to parking space is a big part of the mission. In someways its the foundation of immersion....if you know what I'm saying. It's foreplay!

I can't agree with you more. Once we get the basic mission flows going I think it will be easy to add a standard takeoff, landing and taxi to parking piece for each mission.

Maybe we can make a Hard Core version with every mission starting and ending at the ramp and a somewhat Soft Core version with in flight missions and no landings required.

• Like 2

I'm late to this post, but I just wanted to add my encouragement! This sounds like not only a great idea, but a fantastic effort!

I love the idea of the full hardcore mode... I would most like to go from ramp to ramp on every mission! You can never get too much of the basics...

Hell, if you could figure out a way to let me wasd out to the ramp and climb into the plane, I'd love to do that too!

I'm not in any position to help, but know you've got my moral support!

:pilotfly:

I just signed up for this and I'm really excited to be able to help out (or mess around!).

I would vote for a realistic ramp-to-ramp format for each mission if nothing but to get those important tasks committed to muscle memory. I do this all the time and save for setting radio frequencies and lights, I can cold-start the aircraft from memory now. Shutdown is another matter since I don't always make it back from my missions :)

However, for those of us who have work, but wouldn't mind a bit of "learning" for one or two hours during the week nights, being able to start in the air, or even right behind the tanker for a refueling tutorial, would be a blessing. Get right down to the meat of things really quickly and be able to focus on that aspect of the sim. Starting the tutorial from 8nm from the target range gets right down to maverick employment and such.

I know it is hard to implement an in-flight start in the sim, but it is possible, so it may be something to think about... I just offered some evidence on why it may be worth the effort later on, once we got the ramp-to-ramp stuff in place.

- Ice

I just signed up for this and I'm really excited to be able to help out (or mess around!).

I would vote for a realistic ramp-to-ramp format for each mission if nothing but to get those important tasks committed to muscle memory. I do this all the time and save for setting radio frequencies and lights, I can cold-start the aircraft from memory now. Shutdown is another matter since I don't always make it back from my missions :)

However, for those of us who have work, but wouldn't mind a bit of "learning" for one or two hours during the week nights, being able to start in the air, or even right behind the tanker for a refueling tutorial, would be a blessing. Get right down to the meat of things really quickly and be able to focus on that aspect of the sim. Starting the tutorial from 8nm from the target range gets right down to maverick employment and such.

I know it is hard to implement an in-flight start in the sim, but it is possible, so it may be something to think about... I just offered some evidence on why it may be worth the effort later on, once we got the ramp-to-ramp stuff in place.

Yeah Ice that is my thinking also. If the mission is say JDAM bombing or what not, the need for start up is not needed and for someone that is short on time and wants his A10 fix then it just makes it that much easier. I would say creating the mission in full and then cutting the ramp start and designating a in the air turning point would handle the ramp start issue and then once the lesson is over have a trigger ending the mission to debrief.....etc

The first mission: BFT1-Ground Handling betaV1.0 is now available from the User Files section here: http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

Please post feedback to this thread so I can keep everyone up to date on any changes.

BTW - it is a ramp to ramp mission :smartass:

Thanks for this super event, Sabre. Will check it out soon.

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."-----anonymous

I've tried this a few times and on the 3rd attempt was succesful in completing the startup. Followed the taxi and was disqualified, have no idea what I had done wrong. Was I too fast? Was I out of alignment? Not sure how to proceed, fun while it lasted

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."-----anonymous

Sabre-SLA, good mission. It took me four times but I finally got a Qualified rating. The first two times I ran out of time as I was worried about the order I was doing everything. The third time I didn't worry about that and started everything up the way I always do, but I forgot to enable nose wheel steering and failed. By the fourth time I had everything started up correctly although I was concerned the EAC not being active was going to cause me to fail again. That didn't happen so all was good and I passed the mission.

I'm looking forward to all your future training missions.

Thanks for the feedback. It is a betav1.0 so I will be making some changes based on your feedback and other ideas I want to throw into the mix.

I've tried to replicate the basic checklist used from the initial startup training mission (likewise for engine shutdown) but I don't have all the codes figured out yet (see my other post here:http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=66623)

For example, the EAC, I still have to figure out how to test the condition.

dane48 I think you may have hit a bug. I'll see if I can find it. In most cases I tried to ensure that the FE gave you a reason for the Unqual rating. I might have missed one.

Watch for betaV1.1 soon (hopefully this week). I'll issue a changelog so you can see what I added between betaV1.0 and betaV1.1.

Once it's iterated a few times and the feedback is positive (and I run out of ideas) then we will make it golden.

Sabre, is feedback to be given here or in the Google groups? If it was here, then anyone registered can comment and while sharing info would be good, too many posters can muddle things up quick. Sharing via google is also possible and the info would be easier to manage but limited "test population."

BFT 1 was awesome.

- Ice

Sorry Guys,

What am I doing wrong here?

Ive downloaded the files, when I uncompress it I see a load of ogg files, a mission file & an options file.

I don't see a .miz file

Where do I put the files etc.

Thanks in advance Novac.

Same problem here... are we missing something simple? ;-)

EDIT: Doh... just rename the .zip to .miz

System: Win10 Pro 64bit, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 MB, Intel i& 8700K, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 16GB, PNY NVidia 1070 GTX, Corsair MP500 & MP600 SSD, Soundblaster Audigy Rx, CM Mastercase H500P, Oculus Rift S, TM Warthogs.

More details please. Still cant get it to work :cry:

I was having problems with the same type of downloads using Internet Explore, when someone suggested using Mozilla Firefox. Works fine this way and automatically makes it a .miz

• Like 1

Sabre, is feedback to be given here or in the Google groups? If it was here, then anyone registered can comment and while sharing info would be good, too many posters can muddle things up quick. Sharing via google is also possible and the info would be easier to manage but limited "test population."

BFT 1 was awesome.

Thanks Ice. I think the Dev Team should continue to communicate via gmail. Once we release the files to ED's User Files section then users can post feedback directly to this forum.

BTW BFT4 - Approach and Landing has been posted to the Dev Team's google docs folder. Once we get the voice recordings added then we can post it to ED's User Files section. BFT5 - Basic Maneuvers is coming along well too.

• Like 1