Flight Qualifications Campaign

It's really mean! The humvee almost comes to a complete stop during this event...

:lol: - sorry but I had to make the mission challenging. Glad I caught most of the bugs. I'll fix the typos in the next update.

For parking just stop the plane behind the humvee. I know in future missions I say to park beside the tanker. I'll see if I can come up with some better parking spot indications.

I know the mission editor assigns parking spots but if I say park in spot 10 would everyone know where that is?

• Like 1

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: - sorry but I had to make the mission challenging. Glad I caught most of the bugs. I'll fix the typos in the next update.

For parking just stop the plane behind the humvee. I know in future missions I say to park beside the tanker. I'll see if I can come up with some better parking spot indications.

I know the mission editor assigns parking spots but if I say park in spot 10 would everyone know where that is?

I thought it was genius and a very good distraction, well done!!

Yeah I just parked up behind it, in the bay and worked for me.

To be honest most people won't know where the parking spots are unless they do a lot of mission building in the editor so I'd keep it, stop behind the follow me truck.

Again great missions and I've started to make a PDF manual with your flight briefings that can dbe pdf'd when completed.

I'm speechless Sabre! Wonderfull hard work you've put in it. And I must say you're harsh for students but that's good. ;)

I passed BFT01 yesterday with almost no prob - I had to repeat 'cuz I didn't turn on pitot heat at the first time. Man, you have to be quick.

Now, I'm on BFT02 with problem between WPT02 - WPT03. I don't do anything wrong when I turn right 060 (standard bank 30 degrees) keeping 220 kts at angles 6. But I come slightly left from my waypoint 3 and since then and before I don't get any radio message from my FE. When I tried to turn right tighter (more than 45 degrees bank) I get "terminate, terminate, you broke your altitude" or something like that message even if I still keep 6000 feet. What's wrong?

Edited by Poko24

I seriously can't wait until I get back home so I'm at a computer that has both enough disk space to buy and download DCS:W and actually run it, so I can get to grips with something like this... (Hey, I like my laptop and all, but... It ain't an i7-860 with a GTX 460, mkay?)

Now, I'm on BFT02 with problem between WPT02 - WPT03. I don't do anything wrong when I turn right 060 (standard bank 30 degrees) keeping 220 kts at angel 6. But I come slightly left from my waypoint 3 and since then and before I don't get any radio message from my FE. When I tried to turn right tighter (more than 45 degrees bank) I get "terminate, terminate, you broke your altitude" or something like that message even if I still keep 6000 feet. What's wrong?

This also happened to me. Of the five times I flew BFT02 yesterday it only happened once. I attached the track file, so maybe Sabre can take a look at it!

20110501 - BFT02 - 4th try (bug).zip

• Like 1

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

Thanks for the feedback. I do my best to test as much as I can but bugs will slip through. I can't recall if BFT02 was done before or after the 1.1.0.7 patch.

I'll test it as soon as I can and upload an update if I fix something.

To wet your appetites I'm working on BFT06 - Advanced Handling and so far it includes Stall and Spin tests, a defensive spiral dive, a lazy eight pattern and a forced landing (both engines out). I'm trying to make the missions more challenging as the cadet's progress.

If you have ideas you would like to see in these missions let me know.

BFT07 - Aerobatics will have slew of good stuff. Hopefully it won't be so hard that nobody can pass it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I do my best to test as much as I can but bugs will slip through. I can't recall if BFT02 was done before or after the 1.1.0.7 patch.

To wet your appetites I'm working on BFT06 - Advanced Handling and so far it includes Stall and Spin tests, a defensive spiral dive, a lazy eight pattern and a forced landing (both engines out). I'm trying to make the missions more challenging as the cadet's progress.

BFT07 - Aerobatics will have slew of good stuff. Hopefully it won't be so hard that nobody can pass it.

Woooohooo!!! :pilotfly: Can't wait :thumbup:

Fantastic! You're a good man, Sabre!

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update to let you know that this thread is still alive.

I've been working on BFT06 - Advanced Handling and it has been giving me some trouble to get it to play the way I want. In fact at this point I'll be surprised if anyone can successfully pass it.

Anyway, I have been very busy with work as well but I plan to get BFT06 out sometime this weekend. Stay tuned...

I've been working on BFT06 - Advanced Handling and it has been giving me some trouble to get it to play the way I want. In fact at this point I'll be surprised if anyone can successfully pass it.

Anyway, I have been very busy with work as well but I plan to get BFT06 out sometime this weekend. Stay tuned...

Thanks for the update! Keep up the good work!

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

Something to consider is never doing any of this single ship. Making sure that after your formation stage you never fly as a single ship again.

Begin to build a picture of mutual support, and always pay attention to how mutual support can be best used in a scenario.

You should consider also the Fighter Fundamentals type training with BFM and ACM.

Sincerely,

"Rooster"

Edited by 44th_Rooster

ASROCK Z77 Pro4, I5 3570K, 16GB DDR3, GTX 760SC, Corsair TX750W, Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme, Solid State Hard Drive, Full Homebuilt Cockpit, TM HOTAS Wartpig, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TrackIR-5 w/TrackClip Pro, Vizio 42inch 1080p Monitor, Windows 7 64bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just an update...BFT1 - Ground Handling is almost done. Just doing final timing tweaks. I hope to post it up for trial usage sometime this weekend.

I've also started on BFT4 - Approach and Landing and BFT5 - Basic Maneuvers.

Rather than my Canadian 5 level performance rating I have decided to use the actual A/OA-10 Aircrew Evaluation Criteria: AFI11-2A-OA-10V2 (thanks to swift for the reference) which uses a Qualified, Qualified Minus and Unqualified rating system. With only 3 levels to program checks for, this makes it easier too.

I have most of the logistics worked out now so the missions should come fairly quickly. Once the trials are done I'll put them into a campaign which will force the mission order.

I've been debating on the realism aspect. Should all missions start on the ramp where you have to do an engine start, taxi and takeoff every time? Should you have to land successfully every time to pass?

This would be the most realistic (and further ingrain the procedures).

Opinions on this would be most welcome.

Just a thought but you will "Hook" a real world check if you do not land sucessfully :) Not to state the obvious but you also have 3 required critical areas during checkrides. Any of these are hookable items which fail the entire ride... So if you have an unsafe approach to landing but still survive, it will be a Hook. And if you damage obviously it could be a washout of training all together. But we do not have to worry about that with the reset button I guess. But I would consder it extremely embarrassing.

1. Airmanship

2. Safety

3. Flight Discipline

Sincerely,

"Rooster"

ASROCK Z77 Pro4, I5 3570K, 16GB DDR3, GTX 760SC, Corsair TX750W, Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme, Solid State Hard Drive, Full Homebuilt Cockpit, TM HOTAS Wartpig, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TrackIR-5 w/TrackClip Pro, Vizio 42inch 1080p Monitor, Windows 7 64bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So why would no one pass it? You must have a reason or purpose?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Presumably because of the trouble he's been having getting it to play the way he wants.

So the question is for Sabre-TLA. What kind of details might you need?. Why wont it play the way you want? Are you speaking of mission builder type problems or understand maneuvers and the parameters associated with them etc? Or how to perform them?

Perhaps I may suggest something,

Sincerely,

"Rooster"

Edited by 44th_Rooster

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

At this point I have the clearing turns, stall and spin tests working.

The spiral dive still needs some work as does the lazy eight. The forced landing is fine.

The challenge is coding the check parameters so that you can pass if you don't stray outside the maneuver.

So for example the spiral dive - how much down angle, how much bank? How much altitude to drop in a single turn?

I'm trying to count 3 complete turns but it is a defensive maneuver so you have to be aggressive but not so much that you can't make the turns.

Likewise on the lazy eight. It has a dive, climb, bank, airspeed changes, back to level altitude then another dive, climb, bank, airspeed changes back to altitude and heading.

So the challenge is creating triggers that fire only when the plane is outside the maneuver parameters (a failure condition) or fire when the plane is detected at certain points in the maneuver (to track progress through the maneuver).

I have some ideas I'll be trying this weekend and hopefully they will work (basically evaluate each moving element - heading, altitude, pitch and bank) and set conditions based on those.

If anyone has any example missions that I could look at that would be helpful. I'll be doing alot more of this programming for BFT07 - Aerobatics. How will I test for a cloverleaf maneuver for example?

At this point I have the clearing turns, stall and spin tests working.

The spiral dive still needs some work as does the lazy eight. The forced landing is fine.

The challenge is coding the check parameters so that you can pass if you don't stray outside the maneuver.

So for example the spiral dive - how much down angle, how much bank? How much altitude to drop in a single turn?

I'm trying to count 3 complete turns but it is a defensive maneuver so you have to be aggressive but not so much that you can't make the turns.

Likewise on the lazy eight. It has a dive, climb, bank, airspeed changes, back to level altitude then another dive, climb, bank, airspeed changes back to altitude and heading.

So the challenge is creating triggers that fire only when the plane is outside the maneuver parameters (a failure condition) or fire when the plane is detected at certain points in the maneuver (to track progress through the maneuver).

I have some ideas I'll be trying this weekend and hopefully they will work (basically evaluate each moving element - heading, altitude, pitch and bank) and set conditions based on those.

If anyone has any example missions that I could look at that would be helpful. I'll be doing alot more of this programming for BFT07 - Aerobatics. How will I test for a cloverleaf maneuver for example?

OK, so now I understand what you are doing. I must say that sounds almost impossible to do effectively. The problem with what you might be doing is creating an instrument course for which you are calling a contact course,...also there are many reasons this kind of training is done fluidly in one spot. Lazy eights have very simple parameters. For example we can use the USAF T-6II since it is what you would learn to do contact flying in. This is how a Lazy eight would be executed: It doesn't start with a dive...

6.18. Lazy Eight:

6.18.1. Objective. Maintain coordinated flight through two successive, symmetric, opposite direction turns that define the maneuver.

6.18.2. Description. This is a slow, lazy maneuver that describes a horizontal figure eight at the horizon. The horizon line bisects this figure eight lengthwise. Pitch, bank, and airspeed constantly change. The maneuver is complete after two 180-degree turns with the aircraft in level flight.

6.18.2.1. Airspeed. 200 to 220 KIAS.

6.18.2.2. Power. 50 to 60 percent torque.

6.18.2.3. Attitude. Entry: wings level, 90 degrees MAX bank, 45 degrees MAX nose-high pitch.

6.18.2.4. Altitude. Approximately 2,000 feet above and 1,000 below entry altitude.

6.18.2.5. FCP Visual Reference. Bottom foot on or slightly above horizon at top of leaf, feet splitting horizon as you come through horizon, top foot on horizon at bottom of leaf.

6.18.3. Procedure. Control pressure constantly changes because of changing bank, pitch, and airspeed. To help fly symmetrical leaves, select a prominent point on the horizon (90 degrees off aircraft heading, for example, off the shoulder) or a ground reference, such as a section line or road (perpendicular to aircraft). Selected points should be far enough from the

aircraft (not beneath the wing) so you won‘t fly over it. Mentally project an imaginary line from the aircraft to the horizon. Look in the direction of flight turn and clear throughout the maneuver.

Lazy Eight.

6.18.3.1. Begin in straight-and-level flight with briefed entry airspeed and power setting. Select the desired reference point on the horizon or ground, and align the aircraft so the reference point is directly off a wingtip. Blend aileron, rudder, and elevator pressures simultaneously to start a gradual climbing turn in the direction of the reference point. The initial bank should be very shallow to prevent excessive turn rate. As the nose is raised, the airspeed decreases, causing the rate of turn to increase. Time the turn and pull-up so the nose reaches the highest pitch attitude (approximately 45 degrees) when the aircraft has turned 45 degrees or halfway to the reference point. Use outside references and the attitude indicator to cross-check these pitch-and-bank attitudes. Bank continues to increase as the nose falls. The aircraft should be pointed at the reference point as a maximum bank of 80 to 90 degrees is reached and the nose reaches the horizon. The lowest airspeed occurs just as the nose reaches the horizon (approximately 100 knots below entry airspeed).

6.18.3.2. Do not freeze the pitch or bank at the horizon. Passing the horizon, let the nose fall, and begin rolling out of bank. The second half of the leaf (nose below horizon) should be symmetric and approximately the same size as the first half (nose above the horizon). The bank should change at the same rate as during the nose-up portion of the leaf. When the aircraft has turned 135 degrees, the nose should be at its lowest attitude

and the bank should be 45 degrees. Continue blending control stick and rudder pressure to simultaneously raise the nose and level the wings. Monitor the progress of the turn by checking the outside reference point (off opposite shoulder from maneuver start). The aircraft should be wings level at entry airspeed as the nose reaches the horizon, having completed 180 degrees of turn. Without pausing, begin the second leaf in the opposite direction of the first.

6.18.4. Technique:

6.18.4.1. Set up perpendicular to a long road or section line. Visualize the road as the straight line part of a dollar sign ($). The two turns of the maneuver complete the ―S‖ portion of the dollar sign. If ground references are unavailable, the heading bug can be set to the initial heading and used to monitor the progress of the turns.

6.18.4.2. During the nose-up part of turns, pull to put the bottom foot (foot on inside of turn) on top of the horizon and roll around it until approximately reaching a 60-degree bank.

6.18.4.3. When bringing the nose back to the horizon from a nose-low attitude, the number of knots below wings level airspeed should be approximately equal to the number of degrees NL. Example: If the desired wings-level airspeed is 220 knots, the airspeed should be approximately 190 knots at 30 degrees NL, 200 knots at 20 degrees NL, etc.

This same principle can apply to the Warthog with just slightly different parameters.

Spiral Dives?? Not sure where that fits in logically during your training...

I am not sure that I could explain in detail why I am not sure why this would work efficiently..... when you could just demo do the procedure and have a stud learn to do it properly,...also teaching how to manage energy in a MOA is a huge priority and if are teaching one manuever at a time without the flexibility to decide what maneuver you are currently opted for to stay in a MOA and also have enough SA to fly good aerobatics and learn energy management then it might defeat the purpose of traditional military training.

Consider creating one large MOA and thats all and have the stud stay inside that MOA and complete all aero within that small box in the sky defined off of a TACAN or something. Energy Management, turn radius,turn rate, God's G, Basic Aircraft Control, Aircraft Handling Characteristics, Situational Awareness, Airmanship.....etc can be taught all in one with this type of training.

Don't let me discourage you completely but I must say that there is more than meets the eye with this type of training. And the reasons for this way are many...

Hope this helps or provides a thought,

Sincerely,

"Rooster"

Edited by 44th_Rooster
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Rooster. I'm glad you appreciate my challenge.

That's a very detailed reference and similar to what I have found on the web. Here is the reference I was using for the lazy eight:

http://www.flightsimbooks.com/jfs2/chapter2-8.php

I realize I can't incorporate all the elements of a real check ride in what I am doing but I wanted to create a series of basic flight training missions that someone like me (a cadet) would have to pass first before going into combat.

My hope is that I would learn some things and pass that on while giving users a sense of accomplishment in a non-combat environment.

Maybe my premise is a mistake but I wanted to feel like I earned my wings first before flying combat missions. Silly me as programming these is becoming as challenging as flying them.

Here is the reference for the spiral dive:

http://www.flightsimbooks.com/jfs/page126.php

Feedback is always welcome so keep the references coming. I'll check them against my learnings from Google and try to make the missions as accurate as I can.

I am not an IP nor ever claimed to be so if you see something in the mission that's not accurate please post it to the forum and I'll fix it in the next update.

• Like 1

oops posted twice by accident.

Edited by 44th_Rooster
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Rooster. I'm glad you appreciate my challenge.

That's a very detailed reference and similar to what I have found on the web. Here is the reference I was using for the lazy eight:

http://www.flightsimbooks.com/jfs2/chapter2-8.php

I realize I can't incorporate all the elements of a real check ride in what I am doing but I wanted to create a series of basic flight training missions that someone like me (a cadet) would have to pass first before going into combat.

My hope is that I would learn some things and pass that on while giving users a sense of accomplishment in a non-combat environment.

Maybe my premise is a mistake but I wanted to feel like I earned my wings first before flying combat missions. Silly me as programming these is becoming as challenging as flying them.

Here is the reference for the spiral dive:

http://www.flightsimbooks.com/jfs/page126.php

Feedback is always welcome so keep the references coming. I'll check them against my learning's from Google and try to make the missions as accurate as I can.

I am not an IP nor ever claimed to be so if you see something in the mission that's not accurate please post it to the forum and I'll fix it in the next update.

OK cool,

"My hope is that I would learn some things and pass that on while giving users a sense of accomplishment in a non-combat environment."

I think you will achieve your goal, so keep up your good attitude.

That defensive spiral is not a single ship aerobatic maneuver. It has to do with something chasing you and adjusting your G's, speed and pursuit curves to solve the problems of angles, range and closure based on trying to survive. So it is not done in the cockpit instruments etc,..... it is done by carefully and quickly observing the bandit/geometry, predicting flight path, reacting to it, re-analysis every few seconds..... So the point is it may not do any good but it may serve your personal goal.

Of course I appreciate your your challenge as it is tremendous. So keep up the good attitude and have a good one.

Sincerely,

"Rooster"

Edited by 44th_Rooster

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good news!

I managed to get the triggers working for the spiral dive and lazy eight maneuvers in BFT06.

I just have to do some final voice overs and testing but the mission will be done soon.

Plus this gives me the strategy for testing the maneuvers in BFT07 - Aerobatics.

I hope to post the mission tomorrow.