Got a problem with lockon...

RvEFoxteR

Ok my problem is this,

When I play lock on sometimes the graphics in the game start flickering, like the things u have on ya hud start making some weird lines over the whole screen, but it doesnt last long, just a quick flicker and it gets back to normal but it happens continuously...HUD starts blinking, MFD same...and after like 2-3 mins doing that my whole computer restarts. Checked the temperatures on GPU, CPU, MOBO, everything alright...memory is top notch, got 1 Gig of corsair memory and have this issues ONLY with lockon, not any other game including the most demanding ones. Tried different versions of drivers for my video card ( i got Radeon 9600 XT) nothing helps....also what i found out is, when I set the mission time on some specific time of day (found out the game works excelent when the mission time is around 5 or 6 PM) but if its morning or late afternoon the bugs appear. I really dont know what else to do...btw my game works perfectly when these bugs do not appear (i get around 40-50 fps depends where i fly)...this bug started to happen even in 1.02, same thing now with 1.1

I guess i should take a screenshot of it to show u exactly what i mean. If anybody has a clue how to fix this I would really apreciate it

Thnx in advance,

=RvE=FoxteR

Reservoirs Elite CO

http://www.rve.solo-elite.com

Did you reinstall LOMAC prior to updating to v1.1? Why do I ask? It sounds like the install got corrupted somehow. The first suggestion would be to fully de-install then reinstall carefully following these guidelines . . . .

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=8112

I was wondering if FC would solve any of the bug-e-ness that the original LOMAC had on 'select' boxes. I'm still curious. Are you seeing the same basic ‘character’ in v1.1 that you saw in v1.02?

By the way, you have the hardware.This can be fixed.

Well, that’s a start. The 9600Xt is plenty of card for LOMAC. I had the same thing happening with a 9600XT, then a x800XL then a 6800XT. At that point, I decided it wasn’t the card.

Has this always happened with the game, or did it used to work OK and this trouble just start? If the program had been OK, then just started to act up, look to some change you made to your box. It’s an obvious suggestion except the change doesn’t have to make sense relative to its effect on LOMAC (at least to a lay person). It seems LOMAC is very sensitive to an assortment of mysterious things. On most adequately modern XP boxes, it runs OK . . . on some it is just a train wreck.

If it has always been glitchy, look carefully at your Vcard driver install. As you know, when updating a driver remove the driver 1st with Add/Remove programs then use a driver cleaner (Driver Cleaner Pro at Guru3d). Only then install the new driver. Also, there’s a readme out there somewhere that LOMAC doesn’t like CDRW drives. Try unplugging it.

I have a strong suspicion there is a service or process (or combination thereof) that LOMAC gets completely tangled up with. This ‘background software’ is almost completely out of sight for the normal user.

Why do I think so? Here’s my experience. My system would not run LOMAC. Same problem you’re having. I ghosted my C drive over to a backup harddrive. I then hit that same C drive with an Fdisk/format. I then loaded the same pre-Service Pack 2 XP Pro disk that I have always used and installed the op system . . . but I did not update anything. The effect was immediate and so far, lasting. LOMAC runs fine there. No lockups At All. Same box, same harddrive, same plug in the same wall. Only the ‘software set’ is different. Something in my old C drive ‘software set’ had LOMAC completely freaked out . . . but FarCry / UT2004 / DOOM3 / MSFS2002/2004 / Call of Duty . . . and virtually every modern game for the last 2 years . . .had been running flawlessly on my old C drive. Everything on my system worked perfectly (P4 3.2/800fsb/1gig duel channel/6600gt). The problem had been totally unique to LOMAC.

So, there is one thing that will work for sure . . . But this is the nuclear option. I’m still loading programs and waiting to see what takes out LOMAC. In other words, I really don’t know what’s going on . . . YET!

If you’re curious, go 'Start', rt click 'My Computer', 'Manage', 'Services and Applications', 'Services'. Yikes , , , See all that stuff. Careful! One wrong click might do you in! . . . but this is where I think the problem is. If you’re really interested, google BlackViper and check out his site. He has a registry mod that will shutoff every thing except the minimum to run a game. When I finally get LOMAC to go goofy, that’s the tool I’ll use to know it’s back here.

So try the easy stuff first and don’t give up. ED did a spectacular job on this game and it’s worth the effort.

D17S thank you so very much on this big post I appreciate it alot :D Anyways Ill try with the little things first as u mentioned,when I would install video drivers I would uninstall the old ones first but normally, wouldnt use and other software to remove all the registry files so I'll downlod the program u mentioned and try it like that. For the services running in the background I pretty much pay attention to it and I think there is nothing "unordinary" running but who knows I might be wrong so ill double check anyways hehe. Its really pitty that I get this problems with lockon, I love the game so much and believe me I wont quit my efforts so soon lol...I'll do anything it takes to make it work. Im glad u told me that u continued having the same problems even when u upgraded with new video card(s), in that way you gave me some time to think whether to buy a new one or not...but really the game works absolutely good before the bugs appear. Really smooth gameplay. And yeah about the bugs apearing; in 1.02 they would always appear when there would be many ppl in one room ( like a BVR session) or somebody using those dam labels (lucky me, not many use that crap) but now in 1.1 seems like the bug appears anytime,anywhere...no matter what. The only thing that kinda "buys me some time to play" is different time of day settings. As I explained on some specific time of day I can even play for like 30 mins before the comp crashes but somewhere not even 10. I realised alt+tab usually buys me some time as well...when the bugs appear I alt tab the whole thing and when I get back to the game I bought myself another 2-3 mins before they apear again. I really want to resolve this because if there is some important match Im participating in I dont want my wingmen suffer coz of my computer u know what I mean. The game is beautiful and as I said I'll do anything to make my game working. In my sqd there are even ppl that have slower computer systems then me and they r still able to play that game without problems. So as u said its really not the hardware issue it must be some software thing or whatever...only god knows I guess. Anyways D17S as I said before I really appreciate your help and for opening my eyes a bit more. 116514331....this is my icq number in case u want to reach me any time, maybe we can joint our efforts and resolve this problem together

Regards,

=RvE=FoxteR

Reservoirs Elite CO

http://www.rve.solo-elite.com

I couldn't agree more, It's a great game and worth the trouble. One little quick thing . . .try shutting down 'ati2evxx' and 'atisgag' in task manager. I believe these gave me fits when I was using the ATI cards.

This might end up being a tuff problem . . . So, if you have an old harddrive around, it might be worth a try to fresh install XP, then LOMAC. That way you will get to play while you troubleshoot. Enjoy the game while you slowly load things back in. When LOMAC frags, note the offender and tell us what it was!

This really a team sport, even troubleshooting, so anyone with ideas , , , , Han are you there!

thnx on the info again D17S...still trying to do anything that might stop me to complete format my drive. Today I kinda managed to play lockon without making my computer crash but the bugs were still appearing forcing me to alt tab every now and then...for some reason that alt tabing helps but imagine how joyful that is when I constantly need to alt tab the thing not to make my comp crash. It was a bit more stabile today when a sqd mate of mine gave me some instructions how to switch some unnecesary things (the ones in startup and similar) also I put paging files more higher...did so many things but still didnt resolved it 100%. I even unplugged my CDRW drive...oh well lol

Regarding to my motherboard drivers I use the retail ones, the one i got in the box (i guess they r very old) and I didnt updated with new ones coz I was scared not to **** something up. Oh well. Anyways, my motherboard is EpoX KT600 chipset and I think its not bad at all. Guys if u have any idea what else I should do (before I actually decide to format the whole thing) plz advise. I would so really want to make this work guys, u cant imagine how..the freaking FC is beautiful.

Guest DeathAngelBR

1- Google for epox mobos and you'll find A LOT of complaints. Only the very last ones are stable, particuraly the one with heatsinks all over the mobo.

2- I would NOT trust temperature sensors. All your hardware might be overheating and you just don't know. And the flickering you described is usually caused by overheating.

Yea, those flickers almost sound like a Vcard problem. Do you know about Rivatuner? (again at Guru3d). It’s a Vcard tweeking utility. Normally it’s used to overclock a Vcard, but you can turn one down too. Get Rivatuner and turn your card clock (mem and core) down a notch. But this might Not address the crashing issue, just the flickering.

The chipset idea is a great suggestion. Here’s how I went about checking the basic integrity of my board. I wanted to test my processor, memory and their communication channels (MB, chipset functions, etc). I have the Abit IS7 with the 865 chipset. I received a chipset driver disk with the MB, but one time I forgot to load those drivers. Everything ran fine. I finally loaded the drivers (months later) and I noticed no difference. That experience made me suspicious of those driver. Boy they sure sound important, but in my case, they became just one more potential problem child. The system ran fine without them and it still is running fine without them. (Note, this may be absolutely ‘Not the Case’ with your AMD setup, but keep this in mind.) The present state of my non-SP 2 install is still without the chipset drivers. LOMAC is bullet proof (other than the stutters and FPS issues and all the ‘normal’ stuff). Like I suggested, this may say very little about other MBs, but it might say just a little.

But drivers or not, I just wanted to see what the end result was. Was my computer 'rock solid' stable? So I needed something to check my system’s basic integrity. This is what I found . . .

. . . Do you know about Prime 95? It a system stress tester. (Google it, then get it. It’s free) For a P4, hyper-threaded processor you need to run two instances of the program. Install it once, then copy the whole directory to a second convenient location. Now you have 2 Prime 95 programs. Run both from individual shortcuts on the desktop. On one of the shortcut’s command line add “-A1” (no quotes). Now run em both and go way for 12 hours. If Prime 95 will run for 12 hours without errors, you can eliminate processor and memory (and so it might follow, chip set problems?) from your troubleshooting suspect list. (For you AMD guys, just one instance Prime 95 is the trick)

Also I ran Mother Board Monitor in the background during the whole 12 hours. I was looking not only for temps, but volts. (Again google it, it’s free) Set MBM up to record a log of temps and all the voltages. In my case, my volts stayed OK through out the test. My processor temp stabilized and I had zero errors in 12 hours. Then I started overclocking and used this tool check for stability at increasing clocks. Just because it boots and runs, doesn’t mean things are 100% stable . . . so I found! But don’t start overclocking just yet. Hey, you gotta leave some fun for later!

I agree 100%. Me too. There was no way I was going to go nuclear until had run out of other possibilities. You are right on track. Keep going!

Okay, putting up the standard disclaimer (if you do this and something screws up, it isn;t my fault):

I would really, really, update the motherboard drivers. If it's a KT600 chipset you'll want to download the VIA 4-in-1 'Hyperion' drivers from the VIA site. It may also be an idea to update the motherboard BIOS.

VIA drivers (especially those that ship with the boards, which are often rushed out to meet shipping deadlines) are notoriously flakey. Screwed AGP drivers can cause the sympomns that you are describing.

Totally agree. . . . but hey, LOMAC won't run here. Could it get any worse?

Latest MB chipset drivers then run Prime 95. Then get the latest Cat drivers from the ATI site (but it sounded like you were already into that drill). Good plan.

Did everything guys...installed new mobo drivers no results...installed new catalyst drivers (v 5.5) graphics in the game went mad....had so many bugs, colour in the game was screwed up, not to mention the original flickering bug was still apearing lol. Got back to catalyst 5.1 (the one I used till yesterday) graphics got back to normal, fps great, flickering bug remains. Tried switching fast write off, Vsyc and few other things...bug remains. Tell me guys, you think it could be my power supply? I run a sharkoon 300 W (true power). Im gonna test out soon with 460 W power supply (also true power not some cheap crap)

My god, im gonna become a computer guru the day i make my lockon working lol

Im gonna test that prime95 thingy too, see how that goes. Thnx on the feedback guys.

Okay... there's another one that I was saving in case the other stuff fixed it.

Check what your AGP voltage is set to in the BIOS. The standard is 1.5V, however, some boards don't provide enough juice. I have a high quality board, but to maintain rock solid stability I still have to put the power on the AGP slot up to 1.6V. I don't have a PCI-E card, so if you're running one I'm not sure if that's applicable.

Find out if you are using US or USWC (that's off the top of my head - may be different) on the AGP slot. The option may not appear in the BIOS.

Have you actually completely removed LOMAC and reinstalled it from scratch?

Also, when you are changing graphics card drivers, are you completely removing them, and rebooting in VGA mode, then installing the new ones? If not, that could well be causing the problem. You can get some utilities that can help with total removal of drivers on http://www.guru3d.com

What graphics card are you running on at the moment?

I'll check the agp voltage in BIOS, Ive no idea what its set to need to double check...about my video card, I use ATI Sapphire 9600 XT 128 DDR. I'll check the site you left and see if I can get something useful from there. Btw tried installing OMEGA drivers few mins ago Im gonna test it out in the game now...see if this helps. Ive never used omega, always catalyst so lets see.

Omega are the Catalyst drivers, just with slightly different default values. They really aren't that different at all. If they do work, it will be due to one of the tweaked options, not ay fundamental difference in the drivers.

yeah I'm having the same problem as you with the flickering graphics and funky lines. I really don't want to reinstall everything if I don't have to. I have a nvidia GF6800GT OC and I've tried all kinds of different drivers but nothing seems to be fixing the problem. Annoying but with any luck ED will sort it out soon.

-Azezul.

I settled on a 6600GT as a good match for my P4 / 3.2. I also get a flicker and flash once in a while. In my case it is not related to freezes or re-boots. So, at least by observing my own system, I don’t think fixing the crash/re-boot problem is necessarily related to the flickering. I wouldn’t recommend a disk rebuild to solve the flickering problem.

About volts. Great suggestion about AGP volts. Just a notch though. While you’re there turn up your Ram volts from 2.6 to 2.7. Probably, leave the CPU volts alone. You will have another screen somewhere back there in the BIOS setup that will tell you what your voltages actually are. These are your ‘rails’ . . . or buss voltages. Make notes about these voltages. These are voltages at ‘Idle’.

The Prime 95 drill will tell the story about any voltage problem. The problem that occurs is a power supply might be OK at idle, but drops voltages under load. Readings at idle are not enough so you want to test the voltages under a load. Prime 95 is that load. Mother Board Monitor will record all the voltages at whatever interval you want. I went every 15 seconds for that 12 hours of the Prime 95 test. (Heck, why not!?) You will get a log 10 feet long. Just scroll down the voltage column. Look for a drop. This is your power supply’s ability to do its job . . . ie, you want to observe its ability to maintain a voltage level to its “rails” (busses) under load. A economy 450 watt PS will not be able to maintain volts under a circumstance where a good 350 watt PS will.

But it’s the errors that might show up during a Prime 95 run that are the ‘real-time’ deal. If these errors occur, your system is not stable right now. . .for some reason. You can then troubleshoot with the voltage logs in MBM. If you see volts that dropped, well there you go! If you see volts dip but no errors, this is an early warning of impending problems. So far you system is handling the low volts, but its heading down the wrong trail. Here you can fix it (get a new power supply) before it starts causing problems.

Or if the volts are OK, start swapping out ram sticks and run the test again. (actually, once I started getting errors, they would pop up within 10 minutes. No real need for another 12 hour run until you get the errors to stop within the first 10 minutes!)

Time for a Prime 95 run!

Hey Blade . . .what’s this. “Find out if you are using US or USWC (that's off the top of my head - may be different) on the AGP slot. The option may not appear in the BIOS.”

You’ve piqued my interest . . .always interested in something new to try. .

• 2 years later...
Guest Bartolomeon

this might help

In my case it helped when I turned off (pulled off the plug) the additional USB port - the one from the front panel. Well, actually it didn't solve the problem fully - now I can play at maximum details settings, but when I leave the game the computer reboots. But when I play at medium it seems to be fully ok. I have an economical PSU, and the same cheap crap motherboard.