TM:WH preprogramed with deadzone from factory?

I got my TM:WH last week and spent the weekend mounting it to my gaming chair, nice to have a center stick instead of a side stick.

Anyways, when checking out the stick response, jitter etc in DIView I noticed that the stick was at exactly 50% (X and Y position) i.e. dead center without any force on the stick (without widows calibration). My first thought was “Wow, perfectly calibrated from the factory and no jitter!...fantastic!!”

Trouble is I can move the top of the stick about 0.5 to 1mm at the center without any response in DIView. However if I move the stick off center (say 10 degrees to the left) I can by adding a just slight pressure on the stick see a response (without any perceptible visual movement of the stick).

The TM:WH design is essentially a gimbal mounted stick with a magnet on the end and a sensor that measures the movement of this magnet => unlike the Cougar there shouldn’t be any mechanical deadzone. The spring mechanism might develop some play etc due to wear and tear over the years but this shouldn’t (unlike the Cougar) introduce a mechanical deadzone which was an important selling point to me.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that TM has added a (very) small center software deadzone when they do the factory calibration in order to achieve this “perfect center” straight out of the box. This, in my opinion creates, more problems than it solves.

I do realize that this small deadzone might not have any importance in an actual sim, although my experience tells me that I don’t want any deadzone (mechanical or otherwise) around the center position when playing sims and secondly if I wanted one, I can easily add one in the TARGET software.

I’ve been using this slightly:) moded Cougar stick for the last 5-6 years, it won’t return to exactly center (within 0.5% or so) when I let go of the stick but there is no need for a deadzone, in fact no center deadzone was one of the most important design requirements. Hall effect sensor take care of the jitter but as you can imagine it is a little hard to fit as a center mounted joystick:helpsmilie:.

IMG_3487_shrunk.JPG

Anybody else have the same experience?

Have I missed some setting in target etc?

DIView software

http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836/DIView.zip

/Oakes

Huh, slighly modded, your really modest !!! :crazy:

Edited by Succellus

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

• 3 weeks later...

Since there is a very slight play in the stick, i added a very very small deadzone. I don't feel or notice it when flying. It's extremely responsive anyways. And i added some saturation for AAR. Now i can keep the hog stable in any formation without the slightest problems.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]