[Beta 4] Lots of vertical black rectangles

dax

When playing either

- With textures at High and HDR off

- With textures at medium and HDR on

a lot of flat vertical black rectangles appear everywhere on terrain (see attached picture).

If you fly through one of these and look back, it doesn't appear anymore. So, it's like they have only "one face".

No problem when playing with textures at medium setting and HDR off.

This didn't occur in Beta 3.

[EDIT]

After a few tests, actually these black rectangles are how the clouds look like from far away.

When I enter a cloud, the corresponding rectangle disappear and the cloud looks normal. Then, once I get out of the cloud, it transforms again into a flat black rectangle.

This happens only if textures setting is at high or HDR is on. This didn't happen in Beta 3.

It is independent of AA settings (AA is set to application controlled and this issue occurs independently of AA settings in DCS GUI).

This is observed on a clean install of full beta 4.

System specs:

MB: Asus P5K Deluxe (P35)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 2.66GHz

Ram: 2Gb DDR2 PC8500 @ 5-5-5-15

GPU: Geforce 8800GTS (640Mb)

GPU Driver: 260.99

ScreenShot_001.thumb.jpg.bb1eb3c3838ab59a0b4e7e35de401a15.jpg

Edited by dax

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

Hi DAX. That looks alot like the Cloud Problem too. Try turning AA to application controlled?:book:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Celticcoho (OriginFreedom)

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

Thanks, but I already tried that. I'm running in application controlled AA and AA set to 4x in the DCS GUI.

Will try to switch off AA to see if it's better.

Edited by dax

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

Thanks, but I already tried that. I'm running in application controlled AA and AA set to 4x in the DCS GUI.

Will try to switch off AA to see if it's better.

Hi Dax, Try starting at Low settings and change your way up to what works for your graphics...Then report it when stable....with Beta, I know one change can make a hell of a difference, keep testing, Jim:book:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Celticcoho (OriginFreedom)

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

I made a few tests and edited my first post.

- This is a cloud issue

- It happens on clean full install of beta 4

- It is not related to AA

- I don't Alt-Tab before it happens

Edited by dax

Did you let the shaders compile on first launch of beta 4? Takes a few minutes and the game seems to be frozen but if you ctrl alt del before it finishes bad things can happen.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Yes, shaders compilation finished normally.

As it is a new beta 4 issue, I think that I will wait for beta 5 and see if the problem is solved ...

I got the same problem.

Occurs in training missions (startup & takoff so far). My first impression was also, that is must have to do something with clouds (because it looks like the shapes are all around the clouds).

But it does not appear in the first two instant missions. And there were some heavy clouds.

Fresh installation: Beta 1 and Beta 4.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog :: Saitek Rudder :: Track IR5 ::

EVGA 3 GB GTX580 :: AMD FX-8120 :: SSD 240 GB :: Win7 Ultimate 64

The problem may be related to a lack of video memory on Nvidia GPUs. I noticed that people complaining about this issue seems to have quite old Nvidia GPUs (8xxx and 9xxx models) with 512 or 640Mb of VRAM.

Maybe that this happens when playing with too high graphics settings at high resolution (I was using 1920x1080).

I just assembled a new computer (Core i7 950 + 6Gb RAM 1866MHz + GTX570) and now everything works fine with all settings at max + HDR ...

Another problem report

Hi all

Here's yet another display problem report. The earlier-mentioned cloud problem, disappearing graphics, FPS slowdowns, etc. reported in a few threads here are bothering my system, too. I use Windows XP, 4GB ram, Nvidia (ASUS) GTS8800 512 (G92 core), Q9550 processor on ASUS P5Q deluxe. Fresh, full beta 4 install, haven't found nvidia panel settings that fix it yet, using HDR makes things a lot worse (more problems and they appear more quickly when starting the game), never alt-tabbed... To not overclock doesn't help to this one.:cry:

To provide details, I've attached some log files, and dxdiag report to this post in a zip file to this post. This time it also crashed on exit.

It also includes an interesting screenshot of the MemStatus program (which monitors both main and graphics memory usage) after running the simulator and reports that the A-10C has actually used five times as much graphics memory as there is available. The number is always the same (unless with very low settings and quick exit or otherwise so little memory was used that the reported value is "normal" below 400mb or so - happens rarely; BTW, I also get problems with low settings on graphics, just takes some time or a mission with more stuff/terrain details in it). I thought that maybe this is somehow related to the apparently common problem of some, maybe especially Nvidia 8800 series owners?, running into graphics problems.

Just for the kicks, there's also a few screenshots of graphics glitches I encountered that are most likely due to the above-mentioned problem.:lol:

To Nate or other devs: low/medium/high settings do help, indeed, to some extent, but do not completely prevent the problem. I'm starting to believe that the problem just takes more time or luck to show up if less memory is used.

Perhaps there is serious problem with memory allocation/handling in Win XP systems here? If you ED guys need some extra testing (if you didn't pin down the problem precisely yet), just let us know. More data on request :smartass:

Yours, X

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm ok that has thrown me for a loop, I am assuming you have the Black clouds issue. Can you provide the DCS.log from the DCS temp folder, after this happens again? Also, could I get a look at your DXDiag report, info here ---> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=59946

Nate

Here is the dxdiag.txt BTW, I edited the unguided weapons training mision by clearing the weather. the result was no dark transparent rectangles in the sky. I have medium setting with HDR and high textures and get 33-45 fps, even close to the ground

DxDiag.txt

Edited by davidzill

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

Oddly there is one line complaining about being out of Video memory in DCS.log. Could I ask you to try and reproduce the problem with Lower resolution settings and then lower Anti Aliasing settings EDIT:- and lower the texture quality in DCS also?

Nate

Edited by Nate--IRL--

Nate, I'm not sure if this means anything, but DCS A-10C installed in my win 32 programs folder, not the programs 86x folder

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5