[Beta 4] Lots of vertical black rectangles

dax

I don't know enough about XP 64bit to know if that is important or not. Does the DCS folder have a DCS.exe in the folders........

\\DCS A-10C Beta\bin\x86 and

\\DCS A-10C Beta\bin ?

If so, I wouldn't imagine that's the problem. However feel free to re-install to say C:\DCS

Nate

I did what you said, lowered the textures from high to medium, AA to 4 instead of 8, left hdr on etc...and I narrowed it down. i can leave everything on medium-high, hdr on, when i lower textures to medium the dark rectangles are replaced by beautifully drawn clouds. the dark rectangles also result in a massive fps hit. as a reminder, I have to nvidia 9800GTX+ 1 gb video cards

dcs.zip

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

I DO have the 5.71mb exe file, and I believe it is running 64 bit. today I updated to the latest nvidia drivers and directx 9.0c june 2010 sdk.

Edited by davidzill

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

Yeah, That's what I find odd 1gb should be fine for the video card. Can you make certain that you are running the x64 version and not the x86 version when starting DCS? The x86 version has x86 in the icon title, the 64bit version only has the DCS name with no x64 in the name.

Nate

64 bit it is...maybe just a coding issue with your cloud textures? Or...maybe the older nvidia 8xxx-9xxx series just don't have the memory capabilities. I am running an overclocked 4.05ghz intel quad core

The Nvidia drivers are bugged, your game is now being recognised as DCS: Blackshark 1.0 (DCS.exe) because Nvidia never bothered to update their profiles after the 1.02 patch to reflect the executable name change to simulator.exe

It (DCS profile) is hardcoded into the driver an you can't delete it. The Nvidia driver only checks to see if a program of the same name as one in a profile is running and then applies the setting to that program there is no version checking or anything. To make things a bit more confusing ED was naming DCS:WH simulator.exe at first then changed back to DCS.exe (same as DCS:BS 1.0) need to change settings for DCS:Blackshark in your profiler to have an effect on the game. I had a similar issue to yours and it was corrected by changing a setting in the Nvidia control panel. Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly which setting it was because I didn't write it down.I think it may have been the Texture filtering setting.

Edited by Slayer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

I have (2) program folders on my C: drive...one is titled Program Files (where the entire DCS program is located), and Program Files (x86). I believe the 32 bit DCS has a 3.#mb exe, and the 64 bit is 5-something mb. There is no trace of the dcs a-10c in the program files (x86) folder

64 bit it is...

I may have been incorrect in saying you were running DCS 64bit, please check the contents of the bin folder. If it is empty apart from a folder called x86, you have only 32bit DCS installed. This may be a bug with the installer.

Nate

Edit- ok just saw your post above, I'm out of ideas for now. Sorry

Edited by Nate--IRL--

My guess would be the coding for how dcs a-10 draws clouds. slayer left a post above that might explain something

Is this an issue that may be fixed in Beta 5? I have been playing some of the newest titles in gaming such as the new call of duty etc...all very graphical intensive games, and not one issue, so I'm sure it is something that can be fixed.

Key to this is to find out why your Video Card is using all its memory with DCS. I have only seen this reported with a 32bit OS previously. I have asked other testers if they can check with Xp 64, but I doubt if any tester uses it unfortunately.

In the meantime as Slayer suggested above, try changing Various graphics cards settings in the Nvidia control panel, such as texture filtering etc. Also try disabling SLI to see if that has any effect. What Nvidia driver version are you using?

Nate

Using the latest drivers, june 2010 directx 9.0c also. I'm going to do some experiemnting right now, I'm going to disable sli first, then experiment with the texture filering settings. I will update you when I am finished.

Just tried it with SLI disable, no effect, all texture filtering options in Nvidia control panel resulted in no effect also. As a reminder, when I reduce textures to medium, the problem goes away. I don't have this same problem with LOMAC or DCS Blackshark. XP 64 bit allows for use of virtually unlimited memory, and I have 2 1gb video cards running SLI. I believe there are several people on this forum reporting a similar problem, someone mentioned that we all have the 8xxx and 9xxx series nvidia video cards. With clear weather and everything on high except for water, bushes and clutter on max, I get very high frame rates. I would believe the land textures would eat up video memory much before the clouds would.

Edited by davidzill

I seen this type or graphics issues in previous version of FC1.2 & LO, driver related…, however, at that time my AA was forced via the Nvidia control panel since it did not support it in game. Strangely enough at the time, pushing up the AA from 4X to 8X actually fixed it… Another version, I had to force Antialiasing Transparency to Supersampling. Also ensure you have the texture filtering – minimum to Quality or High Quality, anything less is not recommended. You can also try texture filtering –Negative LOD Bias from Allow to Clamp…

NOTE I haven’t tested the new beta 4 (Since beta 3 I have chosen to wait for the final release). However these might help you in the right direction. Also if you force the settings via the Nvidia control panel, I would recommend that you disable the AA effects inside the game.

Anyhow good luck…:thumbup:

Also NOTE: when installing the latest driver, there is check mark box in the setup to un install previous version, even if done so like I always do via the control panel add/rem programs, ensure that this box is checked, it will remove the ones that microsoft installs automaticly when you remove it from the control panel... So far I'm enjoying 266.58 WHQL especialy on BFBC2.

Edited by TheMoose

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

I've tried all of that..including aa of up to 16. the only thing that has worked so far is reducing textures to medium. I fly alot on microsoft fsx, and use an add-on called Real Weather Extreme. It uses clouds with 2048X2048 resolution with no problems, so I think there is a simple coding issue with clouds, since this is the only area of graphics I have seen any problems with. When I turn off clouds, I can fly with all settings on high with the lowest fps at 35 and an average of 45-60fps flying low and fast. I know we are just on the beta phase, but I hope this is something the developers can fix. I am a big time gamer, and I will tell u first hand, the buyers market incudes a majority of people with wndows xp 64-bit and 8xxx-9xxx series nvidia cards.

I've tried all of that..including aa of up to 16. the only thing that has worked so far is reducing textures to medium. I fly alot on microsoft fsx, and use an add-on called Real Weather Extreme. It uses clouds with 2048X2048 resolution with no problems, so I think there is a simple coding issue with clouds, since this is the only area of graphics I have seen any problems with. When I turn off clouds, I can fly with all settings on high with the lowest fps at 35 and an average of 45-60fps flying low and fast. I know we are just on the beta phase, but I hope this is something the developers can fix. I am a big time gamer, and I will tell u first hand, the buyers market incudes a majority of people with wndows xp 64-bit and 8xxx-9xxx series nvidia cards.

Then good luck, hopefully ED will be able to identify the issue with Nvidia users and this will get fixed before the final release. Thanks for bringing it up.

Cheers

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

I'm sure they will, it is most likely a simple fix. Maybe not by beta 5, but definately by final release. This game is amazing, and I'm sure the final product will be quite addicting. I believe it or not, have been getting better graphics with even better performance here than LOMAC, ETC...

Davidzill I'll forward a formal report on this, however to to so I'll need a package of information from you.

First, clear out your DCS temp folder and then turn all graphics setting up full on DCS. Run a simple mission. When in mission in addition to observing the clouds, please cycle through all the airports using F11, looking around at each airport. This will stress the memory.

Exit the mission and Zip your DCS temp folder and also add your DXdiag to the zip.

Annoyingly your problem is unique, as far as I know, in a 64bit OS.

Nate

Ok cool, I will start on that right now. If I didn't point it out earlier, whenever I install a game on my computer, it always installs into my Programs (x86) folder. DCS A-10C installed into the programs folder (without the X86 in parenthesis).

Ok cool, I will start on that right now. If I didn't point it out earlier, whenever I install a game on my computer, it always installs into my Programs (x86) folder. DCS A-10C installed into the programs folder (without the X86 in parenthesis).

Its because is a 64bit software.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p