Check your power supply... (flickering fix)

azezul

Right so I'm a moron. I was having really bad graphic flickering issues with lock-on and I did everything short of a rain dance trying to fix the problem. Then I tried to play one of my other games and noticed that I was having graphics issues with it too. Not cool man. Like many of us, I've made the wise choice and sold a kidney on the black market so I could afford a pretty wicked graphics card (BFG's 6800GT OC AGP: if you don't have one remember you only need one kidney) and I was not happy when my investment started having issues. So, I called BFG and was like WTF! The first thing the tech asked was how big my power supply was? I replied with a sheepish, "beats me man." Yeah. I have a computer from gateway that came with a nice whimpy 250watt power unit. I'm running a 2.6mhz processor, pedals, stick, throttle (all ch products: all your friends make fun of you when they see you own these, jerks), one gig ram, two hard drives, 3 pci cards, 3 disk drives, and the printer... The tech calculated the power load on my pc somewhere around 400watts. Yea. go me. Anyways, ED sorry for my statement about the flickering being your fault. I have a 480watt power supply now and no bad graphics problems. See you all later... probably as I'm hanging from the risers of my chute as you burn by me at 600kts. I suck. :icon_evil

-Azezul

minion of the devil.

azezul:

I always go for 400W+, good power supplies... ever since I had the same thing happening. Well, something similar: every time I started using one of my old graphics cards in a 3D game, the machine would reboot. It was because of the power draw.

Thanks for having the balls to post this as well - it could well help others with the same problem :)

Outstanding bro! You have no idea how pleased I am that you actually resolved your problem! Ive got 300 W PS which is not bad but I'll get the 460 W one in matter of days and put it in see if it helps...but how u decribed your problems Im having the exact same thing so I guess my lockon will finally work ;-) Thanks alot man, believe it or not with your post you have saved alot of heads that kept banging of the wall. :D

Cheers! :icon_jook :icon_jook :icon_jook

=RvE=FoxteR

Reservoirs Elite CO

http://www.rve.solo-elite.com

Happy to help.

Yeah, upgrading your power supply is worth a shot. Yesterday, as I was on my way to best buy I had that little annoying voice in the back of my head saying, "this isn't going to work moron, your just wasting your money now..." But it did and I was really pleased with the results. Before I installed the new power unit, I was suffering all kinds of clitches: system crashes, slow speeds, and of course the flickering graphics. Everything works great now though. If you have a real slick card it will draw up to 110 watts at times: so sayith the tech from BFG. That was almost half of my previous power source's juice, no wonder I was having such a headache. I went ahead and spent a couple extra bucks and sprung for the Antec 480watt power supply. Its beefy and comes with some really nice cables and harnesses. It scored a 10 on Maximum PC's gear list for what its worth. I could have bought one for cheaper, but so far in computers I've found, unless you're really lucky, you get what you pay for. Give it shot, worked for me.

-Azezul

minion of the devil

• Like 1

well i've got a 250 watt and a barbone and it xworks fine

Soltek EQ3801 M Rev 1.8 alim 250 watts Athlon 64 3400+ 2.5gh 512ko 1go twinmos pc 3200 X800 PRO Gigabyte 500@500 Win xp SP2 sur 2 dd maxtor 160go sata 150 en raid 0 winxp64 sur maxtor 80g DVD LG GSA-4120B Track-ir 3 Saitek X45 Microsoft wireless optical desktop Elite +MX1000 TFT 19 Belinea 10 19 20 Audigy2ZS+Créative DDT100+Logitech Z5300 5.1