On DI Tornado, Wimpy burgers, Sarah Green and Eagle Dynamics.

dotChuckles

i thought the same

but i think , the details were made in our fantasy ;)

flightsimmer since ... i can not remember ;)

it was on a PC 286er , monochrome display ... ms-dos ...

Edited by gamble

Asus P6T | Intel i7 920 (2,67) @ 3,60 Ghz | Geforce GTX570 | Sound: Realtec onboard | 6 GB Kingston KHX 12800 DDR3 | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | SSD-HDD | TM WARTHOG # 01069

90's for me too, I had very similar experiences as well with my first sim - Su-27 Flanker from Eagle Dynamics and the (TFC) Flying Legends in 1995 (found the demo from a disk with 500+ pc and dos games:P)

I visited the nearest store and there it was in the middle of all those good-looking-packaging flight sim games around it.. but I knew all of them were nothing in reality against this one. Even the manager tried to convince me not to buy it because it had crappy graphics, but I wasn't interested for cool graphics :joystick:

Most of you guys are like ancient history to me regarding flight sims though :music_whistling:

Edited by Innerloop

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Most of you guys are like ancient history to me regarding flight sims though :music_whistling:

:megalol:

Anyone remembered ATARI 800 XL?

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

I have to say that I not feel the same these days what I felt back then. I realy miss these interfaces with the base in the background, the room with my locker and so on. I also would like to have virtual squad mates to care about and a roster (see guys come and leave).

No one cares if I come back with combat damage or not. Just end the mission and see my results doesnt do it for me. I would like RPG elements in flight simulations. Multiplayer makes it a little more interesting for me, but Singleplayer....no.

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

I have to say that I not feel the same these days what I felt back then. I realy miss these interfaces with the base in the background, the room with my locker and so on. I also would like to have virtual squad mates to care about and a roster (see guys come and leave).

No one cares if I come back with combat damage or not. Just end the mission and see my results doesnt do it for me. I would like RPG elements in flight simulations. Multiplayer makes it a little more interesting for me, but Singleplayer....no.

Stay away from any flight sim for a year, recover, come back and describe to us your feelings of the first flight ...

Come on .... You know that we are all addicted to this, don't you ? After a long brake .... It happens to me always !:)

DCS F16C 52+ w JHMCS ! DCS AH64D Longbow !

I have very similar feelings. While sims have gotten very impressive on a technical level, the campaign or career expierience, or basically the long term SP expierience, of pretty much every sim I played has been underwhelming in the last decade. I would love to see all developers in this genre be a little less engeneers and more game designers.

I too wanted to be a pilot in the RAF [ but in the Jags ] but things got in the way.. Eyes and my speech.

Fantastic read and I do hope ED make a Tornado sim one day....

and if possible a Jag and Buccaneer.. must have the three musketeers fly together again, even if it is in the virtual skies.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Who remembers: F-19 Stealth Fighter on Atari ST? :-) It was my favourite. You could also play the F-117 Stealth Fighter...There was a briefing room, locker, and many good scenes..The graphics were a bit crappy, but it was so fun trying to avoid radars and SAM's....

And you can play the PC abandonware I believe too... :-)$

check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-19_Stealth_Fighter

If only DCS could make "DCS: F-117" (or DCS: F-22 Raptor ! :-) This wold bring a whole new experience to the game...

"Always check your 6 o'clock if you want to live!"

I have very similar feelings. While sims have gotten very impressive on a technical level, the campaign or career expierience, or basically the long term SP expierience, of pretty much every sim I played has been underwhelming in the last decade. I would love to see all developers in this genre be a little less engeneers and more game designers.

I really understand you. I also feel it some times. But have you ever considered that after many years on sim experience, it is getting harder for us to be excited in comparison to a new comer ? Doe's it makes us more demanding or strange of the old man type ? I don't know ... I am philosophising here !

My Rgds :)

Edited by sungsam

DCS F16C 52+ w JHMCS ! DCS AH64D Longbow !

I really understand you. I also feel it some times. But have you ever considered that after many years on sim experience, it is getting harder for us to be excited in comparison to a new comer ? Doe's it makes us more demanding or strange of the old man type ? I don't know ... I am philosophising here !

I have thought about that aswell, there is certainly some thruth in that.

Still I think that the nature of combat-sims has changed. The sim genre has been dominated by eastern european developers in the last decade, which I think have shown a markedly engineer's approach to developing sims.

No not just used to it. There is no environment in the menus. A A/C image in the background with text menus over laid. Click a menu and it brings up another A/C image background with text menus on top. Falcon 3.0 was my first Sim and first computer game. The Mechwarrior series followed and was my favorite games by far. You had the environment. You could see your mech and it changed when you put different weapons on. A10 just has a list of weapons and you better know what they are from the manual that you have to print out yourself or read on screen. No flipping from bookmarked page to bookmarked page in your dictionaryesque manual, checking weapons and enemy abilities.

There is no real feel of a story to me. Not sure what you consider MW but it had a fictional story that you played through and it actually felt like it mattered how you completed the mission.

Not sure how to get that feel and environment into a flight sim. Ace combat does a great story but the flying is obviously not true to life physics and weapons.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

A10 just has a list of weapons and you better know what they are from the manual that you have to print out yourself or read on screen. No flipping from bookmarked page to bookmarked page in your dictionaryesque manual, checking weapons and enemy abilities.

... you mean you don't know them all by heart yet? :P

There is no real feel of a story to me. Not sure what you consider MW but it had a fictional story that you played through and it actually felt like it mattered how you completed the mission.

Not sure how to get that feel and environment into a flight sim. Ace combat does a great story but the flying is obviously not true to life physics and weapons.

Not easy to do a story AND great simulation at the same time. It isn't impossible, but it isn't easy, either. DCS: A-10C attempts to do this for you with the campaigns, but you shouldn't be expecting cut scenes or cinematics and whatnot. This is not what the sim is about after all. You do have multiplayer though, and that probably makes for some of the best story-telling.

Come up with a mission, gather a bunch of like-minded people and RP your briefing and the fight. Write it out as a story later.

That's right, it isn't all done for you up-front, but the tools are there for you to help you make it happen.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Really brought me back to my teenage years in the '80's. My first computer was a C-64 (was like a 1st girlfriend :), followed by Amiga then PC. I remember all those titles. I remember getting F16 combat pilot from J&R computer world in Manhattan. I think that's when I fell in love with the Falcon...Then I actually got FALCON...lol. Never joined the military to live my dream but many years later, I did go on to flight school and got my Private Pilot License thanks to my love of flightsims! It was the greatest thing I've ever done! Loved every minute of the training and lessons. I've been simming ever since my Commodore 64 and now it's my only form of flying due to the high price of the real thing. I love Blackshark and have only scratched the surface of DCS A-10C, but I'm really looking forward to enjoying it more than any other. It's already an awesome flightsim even in BETA!!!

~Redtail~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It was a great time. Old games had o soul (from 1989 to 1995). Do You remember Falcon 3.0, Gunship 2000, F-14 Fleet Defender, Harrier Jump Jet ... or my lovely HIND form DI and more?

Fortunately We have ED. Last firm on earth, which can do the simulation game with soul.

Best regards!!!

Not easy to do a story AND great simulation at the same time. It isn't impossible, but it isn't easy, either. DCS: A-10C attempts to do this for you with the campaigns, but you shouldn't be expecting cut scenes or cinematics and whatnot. This is not what the sim is about after all. You do have multiplayer though, and that probably makes for some of the best story-telling.

Come up with a mission, gather a bunch of like-minded people and RP your briefing and the fight. Write it out as a story later.

That's right, it isn't all done for you up-front, but the tools are there for you to help you make it happen.

This is not the right approach in my opinion, multiplayer should not be used as an excuse far lacking singleplayer. SP is still what the majority of the people play (the latest SimHQ article mentions only 20% of the players even touching MP).

You have to ask yourself why the player is supposed to make things up himself to improve the experience, why this is not what this sim (A-10) is about. In my opinion the campaign/career gameplay is what every sim should centrally be about. But of course this is just my opinion and every developer is free to create a product of his liking.