Sandy Bridge

Some initial reports show some of them ocing extremely well. IIRC, some person in the HardOCP forms got oc'd to 4.8 on air and it was very easy. Others expect 5.0 as a potential possibility. I am definitely looking forward to getting my paws on some of these.

If these experiences ring true, I wonder how this will help DCS : A-10 and FSX.

Good times ahead. :)

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still a bit hesitant - those OC's are really nice, but it'll be interesting to see some more real-life performance tests using said OC's since I worry about possible memory bus bottlenecks.

Hopefully the range of "proper" reviews will start coming real soon though and offer an answer to that question. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Exactly... why am I forced to buy faster and faster CPUs where only rare applications can fully use even omg 2 cores?

• Like 1

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

What we really need is multithread support in simulators, not more ghz (but for now 5ghz wouldn't hurt ofcourse ;)).

I agree 100%.

Unfortunately, we have to make due with what we have. If all the cores most of us have were used, we probably wouldn't have to upgrade for a decade. lol

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

Correct. The others can technically be overclocked through the bClock, but the allowable boundaries were microscopic (something like moving bClock up 3-4%...).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Bit tech review here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/1

All models can be overclocked, the K's by ~1ghz!

Edited by McVittees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

Correct. The others can technically be overclocked through the bClock, but the allowable boundaries were microscopic (something like moving bClock up 3-4%...).

as far as I remember the bclick is on CPU die now so unless it's the K verison they can't be overclocked... I personally don't really care if they can or not, as I've done an upgrade to 1366 socket recently because the first Sandy Bridge CPU's are for mainstreem market and only end of 2011 are they to bring out enthusiast level CPU's... so if it's correct what I read about this overclocking then they won't be that good choice unless you get the unlocked K chip.. wait a see few more days when people start commng with reviews... so far all revies and benchmarks were with the unlocked K CPU.

No longer active in DCS...

Bit tech review here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/1

All models can be overclocked, the K's by ~1ghz!

er... I don't think so... that articke showed how to overclock the i5 2500K chip, how about they show how to overclock the unlocked one for a change?

And they said it themselves in same article:

The Internet has been alight with rumours that the new LGA1155 CPUs aren’t overclockable, that the CPUs are locked and that this is the end of PC enthusiasm as we know it. That isn’t quite accurate, however, as different Sandy Bridge CPUs have different overclocking capabilities.

notice the word quite

However, overclocking via the Base Clock is severely limited, due to the constraint of having every bus derive its speed from a single clockgen. We saw a Base Clock overclock of 5MHz from the standard 100MHz produce crashes and lock-ups; even Intel says that it’s highly unlikely that you’ll see the Base Clock of an Intel 6-series motherboard overclock by more than 10 per cent.

so... unless the CPU is with unlocked multiplier (the K version) you can't really overclock it... not that its worth while anyway... and that's the whole point.

No longer active in DCS...

There seems to be something with "4-bins" even for the non-K's.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20188/3

I won't have time to read even the full page right now, but the little I had time to squeeze in while making a coffee seems interesting.

Full review:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20188/1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

FSX is a single cored FPS disaster. I keep tinkering and hoping byt, truth is, it was built broken from the get go.

A10 barely uses 2 cpus either, as I am not sure offloading just sound to a separate core counts.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

This was interesting, taken from Anands review: "Both my Core i5-2500K and Core i7-2600K hit ~4.4GHz, fully stable, using the stock low-profile cooler."

With a good cooler they reach 4.7-4.9.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

max over clocking is over raited. For my set up I can get 3.87 out of my CPU but in DCS at 3.5 it stops to help due to a bottle neck els where on the system. Just keep in mind that your system is only as good as its weakst link. So the real test is to step up the OC till it stops helping. You may find you don't have to go very far for that to happen.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

Look at my thread, I already overclocked two i5 2500k cpus some days ago. It's easy to oc them to 4.8Ghz+ watercooled, especially since new BIOSes have been released which break a bios lock which restricted the cpus to run faster then 4.8Ghz/4.9Ghz. With new BIOS, they do the 5Ghz without big problems. Yes these sandy cpus give a nice performance in DCS.
Edited by Migo

I don't doubt that the new Sandy Bridge platform will perform better than what I have right now, but for those of us with X58 i7s overclocked to 4.0GHz, I haven't seen anything to indicate that its really worth the expense, and we'd be better off waiting longer for any potential upgrades.

It would be the equivalent of moving from a Geforce 480 to a 580 in graphics cards. Not worth the expense.

Yeah. Considering most of us are sitting around with around 3/4 of our CPUs not even being utilized...
If your CPU is i7-920 then BS and FC probably DC-10 are using half of your CPU. Because you multi task, (TiR, TS, Flight Manual in background, JPG map in background, antivirus ...)and if you use Windows 7, that OS is smart enough to use multiple cores.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I don't doubt that the new Sandy Bridge platform will perform better than what I have right now, but for those of us with X58 i7s overclocked to 4.0GHz, I haven't seen anything to indicate that its really worth the expense, and we'd be better off waiting longer for any potential upgrades.

It would be the equivalent of moving from a Geforce 480 to a 580 in graphics cards. Not worth the expense.

I fully agree with you.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Yeah, I wouldnt upgrade if I had an i5 or i7. (which I dont have :) )

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, anyone with a X58 i7 9xx series based system will be wasting money on a Sandybridge based system by simply moving sideways in the performance stakes. Sandybridge is not the holy grail of the CPU world. What Sandybridge does do is present better value and bang for buck which is great for consumers. Hopefully AMD can come up with something to compete against the blue juggernaut.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

Looking at the multiple performance tests run on a normal and overclocked 2600K at

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1178&page=1

I think that you can expect modest increases in FPS from a 3.9Ghz i7-930 if you put in a 2600K. If I had to put a figure on it, based on the benchies so far, I would say 30% increase wouldn't be far off.

Worth it? for me, hell yehh. But then I do use my PC for Video/photo editing etc ... nah fk it, I'm a speed freak (once an overclocker, always an overclocker).

I'll let you know for sure as soon as I can get my hands on a D1 stepping 2600K.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q