Sandy Bridge

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GregP, can you do me a favour and download Cinebench 10 and run single CPU test with your i5 2500K overclocked to 4GHz and post what you get? Reason I ask is so I can compare it to my i7 950 overclocked to 4GHz... if it's not too much of inconvinience :)

No longer active in DCS...

Guys, cinebench is not the only application out there. If you read all the articles you will find that some applications, i.e. cinebench and video encoding will run faster on Sandybridge while others such as multiple 3d games that have been benched run about on par with the current 980x. Some applications the 980x still wins. You cant base your decision on one or two benches but rather the application you intend to apply your cpu to. I work for Intel and will be the first to admit that the new CPUs are awesome, especially when considering price/performance ratio. But if you bench 30 different applications of various natures your not going to be seeing Sandybridge being a hands down winner over 980x.

As an aside, I just received my i7 990x cpu today and in the next couple days plan to benchmark it in DCS and post results. My plan is to overclock it as far as it will go using stock voltages and a good aircooler. Since my 950 reached 4Ghz no problem on stock voltage, I expect to be able to reach modest numbers above this with ease. Since I have 2 GTX 470 I will post numbers from my 950, and 990x both in sli mode and sli disabled. Since results typically vary depending on mission assets, please post a track you would like me to run. I will open new thread with this subject so please post the track there as that is where I will look.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

Well im interested in your benchs. You can post overclocked benchs but I dont think most here are interested in extreme overclocking. I for one have too many things configured and set up in the OS to start trashing installs. I have backups that can restore my system in ten minutes not ten days but still! . For the track can a stock track be used that everyone has?

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

Well guys, I just built a new system last night and ran some quick tests, and am excited to share the results.

Greg, can you tell us what are you are using for your case and CPU cooler?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2006 Mac Pro (boot camp) | 2 x 2.66Ghz Core2 Xeon | 5GB 667Mhz FB-DIMM RAM | nVidia GTX260 Core216 768MB | Windows 7 Pro x64 | TM Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro rudder pedals | Dell 24" LCD @ 1920x1200

Well im interested in your benchs. You can post overclocked benchs but I dont think most here are interested in extreme overclocking. I for one have too many things configured and set up in the OS to start trashing installs. I have backups that can restore my system in ten minutes not ten days but still! . For the track can a stock track be used that everyone has?

Thats why I said on STOCK voltages and AIR COOLING. That is hardly extreme OC.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

Sobek,

That graph and many like it are on a hundred websites, in a hundred magazines and splashed all over the internet and unless everyone (me included) is in Intel's pay (I wish I was I could do with the extra cash) then it has to be taken as a consensus I believe.

Again, i do not detest that the performance of the new chips is very good, especially for the price point, but i dislike posting one picture, probably taken out of a comprehensive test and therefore robbing the picture of its significance, because there was next to no information under what circumstences the test for the picture was taken. It's not good scientific methodology, is all i'm saying.

Now continue unhindered :)

Ps: The discussion that followed somewhat remedied the above cause of concern, so it's all good.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Just bought and installed i7-2600k with Asus P8P67 Pro and 8GB of RAM....

Performance increase from Q6600 is amazing. I have everything on high and in the most demanding situations it goes no lower then 25-30FPS.

BUT - Anytime there are burning vehicles and especially if you are flying low altitude FPS drops to 10-15FPS. Even when I overclock to 4.1Ghz, still get those slow downs. It must be because of beta so I'm not worried.

The TGP looks amazing in highest resolution - WOW! :thumbup:

i7-12700k, 32GB Ram, RTX 3060 12GB, TrackIR 5, Lots of SSD Space, etc etc

DCS World - All the cool modules

hello ALL, even though Sandy is impressive in OC, How does this help with DCS BETA? Since they ask that no OC results be posted???Have we all lost the FOCUS of beta testing?? Now just waiting for a Final release? Seems the greatest BUG now for DCS A10 is the testers who look for Instant gratifacation!!!No Offense Meant toward Anyone!! Less feedback, less fixes...IMHO. Cheers, Jim:cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Celticcoho (OriginFreedom)

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

Well Celticcoho the title of this thread is "Sandy Bridge" so we talk about this subject ..

If you want to talk about the Beta feel free to open a new thread specific for it . Thank you .

Edited by theGozr
  • Like 1

Fly it like you stole it..

Well Celticcoho the title of this thread is "Sandy Bridge" so we talk about this subject ..

If you want to talk about the Beta feel free to open a new thread specific for it . Thank you .

I hate to agre with you, But you are right this is a hard wair forum and not the game forum. So posting results of OC in DCS beta is ok here.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

Just bought and installed i7-2600k with Asus P8P67 Pro and 8GB of RAM....

Performance increase from Q6600 is amazing. I have everything on high and in the most demanding situations it goes no lower then 25-30FPS.

BUT - Anytime there are burning vehicles and especially if you are flying low altitude FPS drops to 10-15FPS. Even when I overclock to 4.1Ghz, still get those slow downs. It must be because of beta so I'm not worried.

The TGP looks amazing in highest resolution - WOW! :thumbup:

I think the Beta 4 hase more to do with it than anything els. With my specs I get the same results. and the AMD chip I am running is nuthing compaired to the new I7 2600K.

I only get betwean 30-40 FPS at normal 10,000 ft flight. in battle It drops to around 20-30FPS. as for the gun issue I get the standared 12-15 fps. and I am running at high settings. The looks are linked to the GPU and the FPS is linked to CPU. I would like to see your total system specs. I am thing of going to Intel but if the FPS is no better than my old AMD I see no reason to spend that much money.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

I think the Beta 4 hase more to do with it than anything els. With my specs I get the same results. and the AMD chip I am running is nuthing compaired to the new I7 2600K.

I only get betwean 30-40 FPS at normal 10,000 ft flight. in battle It drops to around 20-30FPS. as for the gun issue I get the standared 12-15 fps. and I am running at high settings. The looks are linked to the GPU and the FPS is linked to CPU. I would like to see your total system specs. I am thing of going to Intel but if the FPS is no better than my old AMD I see no reason to spend that much money.

Hey you know after tweaking my Nvidia control panel and changing some of the settings in there, my FPS is now over 60 and drops to about 30 during take-off in large airports..sorry off topic.

I changed the "Maximum pre-rendered frames" option to 5, instead of default 3, and noticed a large FPS increase in DCS, especially low altitude over airports. It's strange because I know GPU has little to do with FPS, but for some reason I'm getting better FPS with the above option set to 5.

Even with TGP on, on the runway, I can get 30FPS in those 'start from runway FPS killers" and 80-120 FPS+ during 10k+ flight.

System specs & short video demo w/ i7-2600k on my channel in 10 minutes..EDIT - Upload error, will be available in few hours :-(

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dvdlpt?feature=mhum

*Note that in this video, when the A-10 is flying over the city, I'm getting a solid 60fps and when I turned the TGP on, it stayed at a solid 60FPS. :thumbup:

Edited by Madman777

i7-12700k, 32GB Ram, RTX 3060 12GB, TrackIR 5, Lots of SSD Space, etc etc

DCS World - All the cool modules

I'm heading to the post office to pick up my new machine in an hour or so. Are there any games beyond ED products that people would like to see included in a comparative benchmarking session? My current list is FC2, DCS:BS, DCS:A-10C to cover ED products, and Starcraft 2 on top of that for good measure. I do however have a fairly extensive Steam library that could be included, time allowing. Ideas for synthetic benchmarks might also be interesting - thinking about Vantage for graphics and something like Cinebench.

I'm also thinking about trying to "fake" an older C2D through lowering the multiplier, possibly matching that clock with the new CPU to give the clock-for-clock comparison.

Needless to say, this will take some time, so knowing what people would be interested in seeing might help me able to publish the results quicker. :)

Edited by EtherealN
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I'm heading to the post office to pick up my new machine in an hour or so. Are there any games beyond ED products that people would like to see included in a comparative benchmarking session? My current list is FC2, DCS:BS, DCS:A-10C to cover ED products, and Starcraft 2 on top of that for good measure. I do however have a fairly extensive Steam library that could be included, time allowing. Ideas for synthetic benchmarks might also be interesting - thinking about Vantage for graphics and something like Cinebench.

I'm also thinking about trying to "fake" an older C2D through lowering the multiplier, possibly matching that clock with the new CPU to give the clock-for-clock comparison.

Needless to say, this will take some time, so knowing what people would be interested in seeing might help me able to publish the results quicker. :)

ARMA2 might be a good game to test that's also very CPU intensive...

Also, to all of you early Sandybridge adopters... Some not so great news:

http://www.guru3d.com/news/sandy-bridge-chipset-design-flaw-recalls/

Unfortunately ARMA2 is a game I do not have. :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Oopsies...

but like they do point out: the warranty on my kit is longer than I expect to keep it running anyway, so I'm not really worried. I might get a surprise at some point down the line, but the way I treat my computers that tends to happen anyway. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

So basically anyone who has a Sandy Bridge processor is affected because every SB motherboard will have this chipset. :cry:

As the article says, "Intel's Steve Smith, vice president and director of PC client operations and enabling at Intel, says that the specific problem occurs over time, and is affected by temperature and voltage."

Which I take it to mean that anyone overclocking their machine is in more danger of having this failure than someone running it stock.... and how many people run their SB's stock?? Not many.

This news is frustrating because I run all 3 Gb/s drives and OC my SB to 4.8Ghz- although my voltage isn't 'high' at only 1.356... but still higher than stock.

Edited by Midwestboi

SYSTEM: ASUS P8Z77-V // Intel i5-3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4Ghz o.c. 4.4Ghz // 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 PC2133 9-11-10-28 // MSI 570GTX Twin Frozr 1.25GB PCI-E 2.0 x16 // Win7 64-bit Home Premium ~~ DISPLAY: Sanyo 42" HDTV@1900x1080 ~~ DRIVES: Intel 330 series 60G Maple Crest SSD SATA III // WD 4000AAKS 400GB SATA II // WD Scorpio (laptop drive) 320GB SATA II ~~ CASE: AZZA Hurrican 2000 Full Tower // Cooler Master 750W P.S.