Night and Day fellas...Night and Day.

Hi all.

Well, I did it, I upgraded my, don't snicker now, GF4 TI 4600 to a BFG 6800 GT OC and the difference is of course like night and day.

I had a little prob with the 71.89's causing a system reboot, so I removed them and installed the 71.84's and the prob is gone. LOMAC/FC1.1 is so much more fluid now and I believe I am seeing some lighting effects that the old card just could not show.

I know I have the fastest processor (P-4 2.8 ghz) my FSB (400mhz) will allow, so the next thing will be more RAM. I have 512 mb of RDRAM (4 sticks of 128) and my plan is to get 4 sticks of 512, but that is not going to be cheap, probably around a grand.

I am going to be testing different settings to find that max sweet spot I can run at.

Right now the card is at:

2xQ-aa

2x-af

high performance image settings

Vsync-on

Trilinear-Mipmaps

conformant texture clamp-on

extension limit-off

trilinear optimization-on

anisoscopic mip filter optimization-on

anisoscopic sample optimization-on

negative LOD bias-clamp

The reason I mention this is that maybe some of you folks may know better than I what works well with LOMAC/FC1.1 and I would truely appreciate any suggestions you all may have. Thanks all, I going to go fix a bite to eat and get ready for one of the marathon gaming sessions. -KILSEK

4x256Mb. I have -no- idea what you'd use 2Gb of RAM for. Are you doing large matrix calculations? If not, 1Gb is just right, and LOMAC is perfectly happy with it. You won't get any better performance out of 2Gb.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

4 sticks of 512, but that is not going to be cheap, probably around a grand.

Sorry, mate, well off. 512Mb of PC3200 (DDR400) RAM costs... £21-25 quid per stick.

http://www.aria.co.uk

It's not going to cost you a grand to get 2Gb. GGTharos - 4*256Mb is not a good idea. It means that all the slots are filled, and if he starts doing some more memory-intensive stuff, or he wants to play more memory intensive games (Planetside, for example, can take up to 1.3Gb of memory), he will have to go through the same process again.

I'd get 1Gb, in the form of two 512Mb sticks, and put in two of your existing 128Mb sticks, for 1.25Gb.

Well, I did it, I upgraded my, don't snicker now, GF4 TI 4600 to a BFG 6800 GT OC

I am the last person to snicker. Believe me. I have a 32 MB Geforce 2 mx 200 ( worst of that whole line :()

Back on topic. 2 GB of Ram isn't needed unless you really plan on running more than FC at the same time. 1 GB is fine but if you are willing to buy 2 GB go for it.

I'd suggest your next upgrade be a new motherboard, so you can support newer processors and remove the need for RDRAM (which is rubbish and very expensive). 2GB of RAM is recommened for games coming out over the next few months, and seeing as how DDR is so cheap at the moment, (you can get hold of 2GB DDR PC3200 for £70 max) it's a worthwhile investment.

Hi all.

Thanks for the replies and advice. My intentions are to use and improve this PC for as long as I can and then build a new gaming PC knowing alot more now than I did 3 years ago.

I want to say that I am having a great day playing LOMAC/FC1.1. I am seeing some of the best and most awesome images while I am playing. The lighting effects from an Eagle trying to evade my missiles at 10 miles out, pumping out flares, and seeing the light reflect off the aircraft from that distance was nothing less than jaw-dropping. The explosions no longer cause a stutter. I have enabled the heat blur and that is just so awesome to see that. I am sure many of you have been seeing these effects for a long time, but for me, it is brand new experience.

I have cranked this card to:

8x-aa

16x-af

high quality image settings

Vsync-on

Trilinear-Mipmaps

conformant texture clamp-on

negative LOD bias-allow

FWIW, I always ctrl+alt+delete at the end of a seesion just to see how much memory was used and GGTharos is absolutely correct. Most of the time LOMAC/FC1.1 maxes out at ~800mb of memory, there have been a few occasions where it has used more, and when it does you folks know how your rig starts acting. So 1 gig will work well, and 2 even though it won't improve performance, would be for future considerations.

Well, I am going to get back to playing. -KILSEK

Hi all and Brit_Radar_Dude.

Oh yeah, this is the first site I check whenever I logon. Yeah that 6800 is really showing me some jaw dropping graphics.

If you don't mind me asking, did you get FC1.1? I am curious because I am working on a Su-33 campaign and I have been wanting to ask for some help with it. You know how I play, easy radar and destroying everything I see, and I would like to get some ideas of what I can add and where it would seem most likely to be placed. The number of missions in the campaign is ~20, 8-10 for the west penisula starting point(the ADM. KUZ off the coast of Sevatopol) and 10-12 to finish the campaign on the eastern penisula. I would like the missions to include many different types(a2a/a2g) of targets, require multiple takeoffs/landings and take 90-120 minutes to complete. It is a fictional campaign w/ Ru vs the rest of the world. There are some other things as far as the way I envision the campaign but that is the idea.

If you have some freetime and are interested let me know. I am re-reading this before I post it and I am thinking that you would not need 1.1 to help, to play it yeah, but to help, no.

BTW, When I was programming my x-45 I came across a command, the ctrl+f11 free camera mode or something like that. Now when I plow into the ground doing high-speed, low-level flight trying to check out the landscape, I hit my f2 key which cycles through the airfields for me, I can hit ctrl+f11 and then use my mouse and travel through the land site-seeing. It is just awesome to see the amount of detail ED put into it and I can stop right where I want and take the time to really soak up the landscape and its' details.

Keep up the great, and I mean great work ED. I have not played one other game since I purchased FC1.1. I am finally able to appreciate the effort you all have put into LOMAC/FC1.1. You folks have your "stuff together". :icon_jook :icon_weed :beer: :icon_pidu . -KILSEK

4x256Mb. I have -no- idea what you'd use 2Gb of RAM for. Are you doing large matrix calculations? If not, 1Gb is just right, and LOMAC is perfectly happy with it. You won't get any better performance out of 2Gb.

4 times 256 is 2048? odd

Btw, you have no idea how wrong you are about 1Gb being enough for computing nowadays ;)

4 times 256 is 2048? odd

Btw, you have no idea how wrong you are about 1Gb being enough for computing nowadays ;)

No. I didn't miscount, I just didn't phrase correctly. As in, get 4x256, instead of 4x512.

As for how much RAM is enough, I'm rather well aware of what and when. 1Gb is pretty happy for just about everyone. Anyone who needs more is the exception, typiclally working with very large (1Gb) images (or just large files, but images are the most common that I've heard) or doing some form of HPC or another which requires loads of memory. Typical game usage? No. So unless you're doing HPC or very large file processing, 1Gb is enough, enough, and enough ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Thanks for the replies and advice. My intentions are to use and improve this PC for as long as I can and then build a new gaming PC knowing alot more now than I did 3 years ago.

There's nothing wrong with incrimentally upgrading, but you can build an entire new system for $1000 instead of trying to squeeze what you can out of an older motherboard that supports rare and expensive memory.

My 6800GT is on its way. I'm coming from a 9800 Pro, but I still think I'll see a huge change.

SimHQ Technology Editor

TSH member

Hi all.

My intentions are to build this PC up as much as possible and then build a gaming PC. I know alot more about them now than I did so long ago(like using Intel and Rambus) and then have this one for as a secondary.

Thanks all. -KILSEK