Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem

I'm using a Thrustmaster Warthog on Windows XP. When I run any kind of profile on the TARGET software my entire throttle/control panel no longer functions at all. I tried multiple games and none of them would recognize any inputs from the throttle/control panel at all. As soon as the TARGET profile is turned off my throttles function again. Unfortunately, I would like to use some of the nice features that the TARGET software allows, so I'd like to be able to use it.

Also, the device manager shows that my joystick works, but my throttles get no response. This is also the case in the Windows Game Controller panel. As soon as I disable TARGET, Windows re-detects both devices and they work as intended.

As far as software, I installed the hardware drivers and updated to the latest firmware (Dec 21, 2010 I believe?) as well as the TARGET software.

Anyone heard of this problem before or know of anything I could be doing wrong? (I know I don't need TARGET for DCS: A-10, but no one else [even Thrustmaster] seems to know what's going on. I figured the people here are my next best hope.)

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

When you run the script in TARGET do you get the green text similar to this? :

*** Allocated ProcInstances found from the previous run: use FreeProcInstance() ***

Mapped plugin module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Thrustmaster\TARGET\Plugins\sys.dll"

Physical USB HID devices managed by script!

Currently plugged USB HID devices[3]:

1: "HOTAS Cougar Joystick" - "USB\VID_044F&PID_0400&REV_0110&MI_00"

2: "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\VID_044F&PID_0402&REV_0100"

3: "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\VID_044F&PID_0404&REV_0100"

USB HID device "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0404\5&20A9C10C&0&1) selected

USB HID device "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0402\5&21C22887&0&2) selected

USB HID device with hardware id "VID_044F&PID_b351" cannot be found

USB HID device with hardware id "VID_044F&PID_b352" cannot be found

Virtual HID devices managed by script!

Connecting virtual joystick...Done

Device name set to Thrustmaster Combined

Connecting virtual keyboard...Done

Connecting virtual mouse...Done

main returned 0

( on my setup the cougar is listed because I still use older rudder pedals via the cougar base, so yours might not list that. )

And when you run the device analyzer ( with script running ) do you get normal responses from all your buttons and axis?

If yes to these then TARGET is working, if no try reinstalling TARGET and be sure you are running RC3.

These seem obvious probably but i had to cover them. When you run a profile just the throttle is dead and not the stick? If that is the case you might try a reset of the throttle flash rom. I know the procedure is listed in the threads about "dead throttles". Bar any of that I am baffled. Wish you were running WIN 7. I would honestly attribute this to TARGET being such a new app, you may have to go without until TM gets things polished.

Edited by mjolner

Here's what I get:

Running script: joyconf.tmc

*** Allocated ProcInstances found from the previous run: use FreeProcInstance() ***

Mapped plugin module "C:\Program Files\Thrustmaster\TARGET\Plugins\sys.dll"

Compile Succeeded.

Currently plugged USB HID devices[2]:

1: "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\Vid_044f&Pid_0404&Rev_0100"

2: "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\Vid_044f&Pid_0402&Rev_0100"

USB HID device "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0404\5&8506B5D&0&2) selected

USB HID device "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0402\5&230E9CC2&0&3) selected

Connecting virtual mouse...Done

main returned 0

When the TARGET script is running I get no response from my joystick or throttles. When the script is stopped I have two entries in my game controllers window and both the joystick and throttle function properly (albeit without any useful scripting).

I've tried reinstalling the TARGET application and it has not helped.

One thing I should note is that I installed the drivers before I installed TARGET. Initially during the TARGET installation a window would pop up and say that new hardware was found and drivers were needed (typical Windows driver wizard). After closing that, the program would hang, so I went and installed the drivers and then came back and installed the TARGET software. During installation the installer hangs up and I get a "program not responding" dialogue box from Windows. If I close it the installer will continue further some and then hang again. After about 8-10 repetitions of this the installer finishes without issue, but I'm not sure if something is being lost when the installer hangs up. The TARGET gui and script editor seem to run completely fine though, so I doubt this is the issue.

Edited by mattag08

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

All device included in TARGET profile are disabled once it is running, and you get an aggregated virtual ThrustMaster device, to which you need to bind your controls in games.

Except the "virtual device" doesn't work. Please re-read above.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you running TARGET in admin mode?

If you use Vista or Win7 that is. It kinda sounds like the virtual device doesn't get access.

Before running the script open the control panel/view devices and printers... watch the warthog controller icons when you start the script. During the combining a (!) should appear on the stick and the throttle and windows should play installing hardware sound a couple of times. When the combining is done the (!) disappears. 3 new devices should appear: HID compliant gamecontroller, HID keyboard device and HID compliant mouse. If they appear the combine is done correctly.

Or try it on another PC if you can.

Also more info would help, your system specs including how many USB controllers you have installed and so on.

Edited by Ragtag

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 3930K.

16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz.

Asus P9X79 Deluxe.

Asus GTX680 2Gb.

Auzentech Home Theater 3D Sound.

TM Warthog HOTAS.

TM Cougar MFD's.

Saitek Flight Pro pedals.

TrackIR 5.

Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH

Another USB device is stealing the priority. I had a N52TE that was stealing the priority, once I discovered what was going on and which controller was the culprit my combined WH is functioning correctly.

Suggestion, look at the controllers in the "game controller" window. See what order they are in. Look for what is on top and then search for that in your device manager. Disable it from DM and test your WH again.

Your mileage may vary.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 1 year later...

Same problem for me, any way to solve this problem, I know it's a thing of drivers so I've also win XP64 in other partition and works ok but in win 7 I have this problem too.

I try all solutions that I found in Google but anyone works, run in admin, re-install, unistall, disconnect, delte all entries in regedit ......

Mapped plugin module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Thrustmaster\TARGET\Plugins\sys.dll"

1: "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\VID_044F&PID_0404&REV_0100"

2: "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\VID_044F&PID_0402&REV_0100"

USB HID device "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0404\6&1FCD759&0&3) selected

USB HID device "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0402\6&1FCD759&0&2) selected

USB HID device with hardware id "VID_044F&PID_b351" cannot be found

USB HID device with hardware id "VID_044F&PID_b352" cannot be found

Connecting virtual joystick...Script stopped!

Done

Runtime Error: STOP request received while running main on line 6 in "C:\Users\P3T3R\AppData\Roaming\Thrustmaster\TARGET\Scripts\DCS Blackshark.tmc"

Error: Script run timed out!

• 5 years later...

Getting the same problems, on Windows 10 with latest drivers + software. No matter which profile I create, I get "returned 0" and my virtual device simply does not function! I've got the T16000 FCS + Throttle

1: "TWCS Throttle" - "USB\VID_044F&PID_B687&REV_0110"

2: "T.16000M" - "USB\VID_044F&PID_B10A&REV_0500"

USB HID device "T.16000M"(USB\VID_044F&PID_B10A\6&35805C5&0&6) selected

Installing filter driver to VID_044F&PID_B687. Please Wait...Done!

USB HID device "TWCS Throttle"(USB\VID_044F&PID_B687\6&35805C5&0&5) selected

Connecting virtual mouse (absolute axes)...Done

main returned 0

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I am having a similar issue, looks like a driver problem. It was working until I tried to get my detents working for reverse thrust in FSX. I done some calibration then my Throttle and Joystick wouldn't show up in the hardware. Followed some instructions online, held in some buttons when plugging in the controllers and now they are working without T.A.R.G.E.T but when I try and use with T.A.R.G.E.T I get the following

https://ibb.co/dsTp1R

https://ibb.co/c5Pkam

https://ibb.co/kMmyvm

I've tried uninstalling, deleting from registry etc, then reinstalling. Firmware is all up to date etc.

It just seems to be this Guillemot driver issue for the virtual device controller.

Any suggestions?

Yep...Try this :

Close TARGET Script Editor, then press "Control+Alt+delete" and open Task manager...go to "services" and scroll down to this line :

1.thumb.JPG.8136ccbc0719cf9ceacda37ab296b7e0.JPG

Bear in mind..my W7 is in italian...you should see "running" or " in execution" instead of " IN ESECUZIONE".....same thing

Right click on it and select "stop service", then close task manager and launch again TARGET Script Editor and hopefully all is right.

At least for me it work.

• 3 months later...

Apologies for the thread necromancy but I ran into this same issue last night in Windows 10 after receiving an update - in short, the Thrustmaster Combined drivers are being rejected by Windows 10. I had to revert to the version before the update, but I was hoping folks might have some insight here? Not surprisingly, a request to support to Guillemot has gone unanswered. :(

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i5-7600K CPU |32 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti Gaming 12 GB| 55" 4K | TM Warthog HOTAS | Virpil MongoosT-50 | BRD Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 3 months later...

Hello Sorry to Bring this old thread back up but, I have the same problem.

I bought the singular TWCS Throttle, stick is a CH Fighterstick, Is awesome, but trying to bind a button for Discord I found the same problem explained above here, Installed the target and runned the profiles and i was able to speak on discord using the button i want, bat the main problem now all the other buttons are not reconized by the game DCS in this case, if I close target the TWCS works as fine as before but i cant customize the buttons.

This is annoying and I have Win 10 and executing the TARGET program as Administrator... does someone has a fix for this?? Thx in advance

• 5 months later...

Happening to me too. I run the TARGET GUI, and DCS deletes my "throttle" and "Stick" columns, replacing them with a virtual device. Once I stop the script, virtual device disappears and DCS puts my throttle and stick back in the control options. So either I can have my TARGET scripts, or the game controlled settings. Not both.

Happening to me too. I run the TARGET GUI, and DCS deletes my "throttle" and "Stick" columns, replacing them with a virtual device. Once I stop the script, virtual device disappears and DCS puts my throttle and stick back in the control options. So either I can have my TARGET scripts, or the game controlled settings. Not both.

Well, of course, how else would Target combine your multiple devices and present them to the game?

What you're seeing is normal and is not the issue the other posters have.

Installed the target and runned the profiles and i was able to speak on discord using the button i want, bat the main problem now all the other buttons are not reconized by the game DCS in this case, if I close target the TWCS works as fine as before but i cant customize the buttons.

This is annoying and I have Win 10 and executing the TARGET program as Administrator... does someone has a fix for this?? Thx in advance

If you don't use Target, then you should be able to manually program the controls in DCS, but not anything else (like this Discord control which I have no idea about).

On the other hand, if you run a Target profile, then you have to check the DCS controller settings for the device and module and delete all default in-game assignments (e.g. select one field in the Thrustmaster TWCS or Combined device column and then select Clear Category). If there are any in-game assignments, then I guess there is some conflict and most of the Target assignments don't work.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 1 year later...

you could use:

//Turn off automatic Joystick and Throttle disabling

Configure(&Throttle, MODE_KEEPENABLED);

Configure(&Joystick, MODE_KEEPENABLED);

if you still want them for some purpose

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I may have a simular problem using the warthog. Sometimes when I run a profile my Warthog joystick does not work. The throttle genereates input (device tester, left most buton) but no joystick input nor do any buttons work.

In that case I pres 'stop device' (top right button) and then press run again and again and again until the joystick does work. Sometimes it works straight away sometimes i have to try a few times sometimes I have to do it al lot like 10 times or more.

• 4 weeks later...
you could use:

//Turn off automatic Joystick and Throttle disabling

Configure(&Throttle, MODE_KEEPENABLED);

Configure(&Joystick, MODE_KEEPENABLED);

if you still want them for some purpose

Hello Stuart,

I find sometimes T.A.R.G.E.T combines the controls but most times it doesn't and I would prefer it if it would just do one thing or the other but consistently!

As things go, I would be happy to run without the controllers combined (but all the time)

Looking at what you said earlier, how do you set that up please?

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

I may have a simular problem using the warthog. Sometimes when I run a profile my Warthog joystick does not work. The throttle genereates input (device tester, left most buton) but no joystick input nor do any buttons work.

In that case I pres 'stop device' (top right button) and then press run again and again and again until the joystick does work. Sometimes it works straight away sometimes i have to try a few times sometimes I have to do it al lot like 10 times or more.

exactly the same problem i have since i migrated to a new pc and updated the target software to the newest version (had also to update the firmware of joystick and/or the throttle - cant remember which it was)

before i did that combining both didnt work and i always got an error. now it works but sometimes the joystick just doesnt work. seems to be some kind of software problem...

I know not everyone likes to use TARGET but I am one of those that does, despite having unpredictable issues with my controllers for many years.

I have come to the conclusion that it's best to only bind axis's to the combined controller in DCS and bind everything else in TARGET.

Yes, more work up front but a good trade-off for improved reliability.

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

• 2 months later...

In the same vein: both Warthog throttle and joystick show in Devices and Printers and work as advertised. However when using the Target Device Analyzer:

Without a script running, only the Throttle shows. With a script running no devices show although the Virtual Game Controller shows correctly in Devices and Printers and Game Controller settings.

Short version: the system works (buttons, axis etc) but device analyzer does not display them correctly. Tried all I can think of but no change...

Any other ideas?

I have exactly those symptoms, the first only the throttle turning up , no idea how to fix it, and frankly doesn’t impact me a lot so I don’t care... the second, if you are using the dx128 header files then simply the device analyser is expecting less buttons , and it doesn’t work...

I typically use a third party joystick tester, I will have a look for which one when I am next o my pc that solves both problems...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg