FC crashes when Cloud Density > 8

Was trying to experiment with overcast and the new ATI drivers, but much to my surprise I haven't actually been able to get the thing to run. The mission works fine with cloud densities from 0 to 8, but as soon as I move the slider to 9 or 10 then I get the loading splash screen and it crashes to desktop.

ATI X800XL, Catalyst 5.6 . . . . . but without the Catalyst Control Centre.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

lol! there is a slider dude, just click on the cloud icon in the mission editor. You can change season, increase cloud altitude, density , visibilty etc.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

The Vcard is working harder with these higher settings, so maybe . . . Here’s something to try. This is a system stress test that looks at some basic system functions (especially the system voltages).

Get “Mother Board Monitor” (google it, get it, it’s free). MBM will monitor mother board temps and voltages. It will also create a running log of these parameters. Install MBM (carefully selecting your specific MB) and set it up to create a log of your temps and voltages. I set up MBM to create a text file of these readings and place it in my ‘My Documents’ directory (so I could find it later!)

The ‘Core 0’ voltage MBM displays is your CPU voltage. ‘Core 1’ is Ram volts. Next, the 3.3 volt buss, the 5 volt buss and the 12 volt buss is displayed. MBM will also record temperatures (CPU, case, etc . . . depending on the temp sensors on your MB).

Set MBM to record a reading every 5 seconds. The MBM log will take a snapshot of all these voltages and temperatures every 5 seconds. Play with it a bit. See what it will do.

The drill will to be to make 3 runs. Run #1 will be with MBM running and no other programs running. This is the ‘Idle run’. Note all the MBM readings. Now delete the MBM text file so the log will start fresh for the next run. For run #2, start MBM and then go flying with settings that you know work OK. Fly around for a couple of minutes and escape out. Note the MBM readings. Again delete the MBM test file so it will start fresh. For run #3, restart MBM and LOMAC. Crank up the settings. Try everything possible to get LOMAC to crash. When it does, note the MBM readings once again. Compare run #3 (the crash run) to the ‘Idle run’ and ‘LOMAC running OK’ MBM readings. In the #3 ‘crash run’ run log, you are looking for volts that are falling off just before the crash or CPU temps that are increasing just before the crash. Falling volts probably means you need a stronger power supply. Increasing CPU temps mean, well, you know, . . .

Give it a try. With all these big Vcards we’re using, there have been a couple of power supply related problems reported lately, but these have been ‘re-boot’ crashes. But heck, it’s fun to play with, (or, well . . .maybe that’s just me!) Good luck.

Wait!!!!

Before you going to check your MB or any thing else, I'm almost certain that you have some mod installed (probably water and/or overcast mod).

If that's the case then you have there your problem and crash reason.

Uninstall the water and/or overcast mod. I presume you used Loman to do it so use it to unistall too.

Check to see if you now can change cloud density withou any problems (I'm betting you can). Install one mod each time and check to see if it causes any crash. Once you found the mod that is causing you to crash don't use it.

Unfortunately I don't remember exactaly what was the mod that give me that exact problem. I only remember it was some water or overcast mod.

Wait!!!!

Before you going to check your MB or any thing else, I'm almost certain that you have some mod installed (probably water and/or overcast mod).

If that's the case then you have there your problem and crash reason.

Uninstall the water and/or overcast mod. I presume you used Loman to do it so use it to unistall too.

Check to see if you now can change cloud density withou any problems (I'm betting you can). Install one mod each time and check to see if it causes any crash. Once you found the mod that is causing you to crash don't use it.

Unfortunately I don't remember exactaly what was the mod that give me that exact problem. I only remember it was some water or overcast mod.

Nope, no water or overcast mods installed.

They're in my Loman list, but I don't even remember if I had them installed on v1.02 . . . . . they're not installed now.

Nope, no water or overcast mods installed.

They're in my Loman list, but I don't even remember if I had them installed on v1.02 . . . . . they're not installed now.

Disregard the upper post then.

I had that exact same problem but only happened after I installed one of the mods. Sorry I couldn't help you further.

Britglider, how are you?, well i had the same problem and contacted ED about it; they tried to help me, but nothing was fixed, they tried though.

The reason is your water, when the water is set higher than "Medium" AND the clouds are set to 8 or higher it will crash to the desktop. It took me awhile to figure it out, but now i donj't have the problem anymore, just medium water. Just set your water to medium and you'll never have the problem again. Hope this helps :D

• Like 1

Britglider, how are you?, well i had the same problem and contacted ED about it; they tried to help me, but nothing was fixed, they tried though.

The reason is your water, when the water is set higher than "Medium" AND the clouds are set to 8 or higher it will crash to the desktop. It took me awhile to figure it out, but now i donj't have the problem anymore, just medium water. Just set your water to medium and you'll never have the problem again. Hope this helps :D

Yes that sounds familiar :) .

If I have water set to "very high" and overcast to 8 or below, I dont have a problem. If I have water at "high" and overcast at 8 or above I dont have a problem either, but water at "very high" and overcast above 8 = CTD.

I dont know what causes it though.

- JJ.

JJ

• 1 year later...

screenshotpo2.th.jpg

Nope no CTD on my end, I guess I'm a lucky one. But then again, I don’t play with high water, frames rate, gets to choppy when in action or over large cities... Tried with rain and without. Visual range is also a huge killer. Usualy play with medium.

Guess my AGP BFG6800GT still has some muscles left. Altough I admit, it's getting old, it's time for me to upgrade soon.

Cheers

EDIT: dawm I just love seeing sunrays piercing through the clouds like that, this is a feature that I applaud ED. To cool.:thumbup:

Was trying to experiment with overcast and the new ATI drivers, but much to my surprise I haven't actually been able to get the thing to run. The mission works fine with cloud densities from 0 to 8, but as soon as I move the slider to 9 or 10 then I get the loading splash screen and it crashes to desktop.

ATI X800XL, Catalyst 5.6 . . . . . but without the Catalyst Control Centre.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Have you tried without AA and AF? I'm not that familiar with ATI control panels. Been a Nvidia fan as long as I can remember, strange since ATI is a Canadian product, and I'm one of them lol :music_whistling:

I never use water above MED, heat blur off, everything else I run on high, and I've never had a CDT problem ...

Also I'm an Nvidia fan 6800 UTRA AGP... :thumbup:

By the way try these drivers 92.91, Theyer AWSOME!!!

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Can you give more details?

Are some of the known bugs gone or something?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

thanks that helps me. I started having this problem at some point in the last few months too.

is this ok?

I never use water above MED, heat blur off, everything else I run on high, and I've never had a CDT problem ...

Also I'm an Nvidia fan 6800 UTRA AGP... :thumbup:

~S~

Blaze

Cool thanks downloading it now, will try them out tonight:D

Can you give more details?

Are some of the known bugs gone or something?

Know bugs ?

Try them out, you can allways roll them back if you don't like them ...

Personally I've found that they sharpend the graphics.. :smilewink:

But one thing though I got these off of Guru3d which I think is down at this time...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Cool thanks downloading it now, will try them out tonight:D

Oh ok I couldn't get Guru to open, let me know if you like them..

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR