Wind correcting Dumb Bomb Delivery

Dynamo

Hi All,

I have had a mixed bag of results with the use of dumb bombs in CCIP and CCRP, generally speaking, flying skills apart, the issue is related to wind (not diet related, but atmospheric).

I have just gone through the procedure of entering wind correction into the CDU to correct for this, and the results speak for themselves.

Below is the walkthrough of the procedure I use, I hope it is of some use to you fellow sim pilots, and hope I am not teaching you to suck eggs!

Sorry for all the pics!!!

CCRP bombing, paired release @ 6000 ft 210kts. Wind 270 degrees 15m/s

1.jpg

As shown above, the bombs missed their mark, and no damage done to the target. This was a stable release, wind accounting for the miss.

Procedure for correction:

1) On the CDU panel, press the SYS button, then press the LASTE button:

2.jpg

2) Click the wind OSB to enter the wind correction page:

2a.jpg

3) This is where you can enter the wind correction data. Start off by entering the altitude of the first layer of wind. I start with ground level. To do this, enter 00 in the scratch pad, then click the first empty line on the left to enter this altitude.

3.jpg

4) Repeat the process for other wind layers if known. What I did here was repeat the wind speed and direction data for my altitude, so the adjustment calculation took place. In this case I entered 06 (for 6000ft) and placed that altitude in the line beneath the first:

4.jpg

5.jpg

6) When you have enetered all the layers you desire, press the WndEdit button.

In this step you enter the wind speed and direction.

How you get this data is up to you :) You can get it form the mission editor, Air traffic, even the JTAC gives the wind vector for you.

To enter the data you have to enter 5 digits. The first 3 digits is the direction of the wind, so 000 = north and so on.

In this case, 270 was the wind direction.

The 4th and 5th digits is the wind speed in m/s

So wind speed 15 ms at 270 degrees, we enter 27015.

If wind was at 10 degrees and 7 m/s, you should end 01007

Once entered, hit the OSB for the layer you want to add this data. Repeat this for all layers.

7.jpg

7) Next step is to add the temperature data for each layer. Again get this from the ME/brief. You also have the current temperature shown in the CDU on the top right. I just used this temperature accross all layers. 18 degrees here.

8.jpg

8) Once done, hit the WIndTemp OSB to go back a step and store the data:

9.jpg

9) Get yourself lined up.... and bombs away!!!!

10.jpg

"Good bombs, good bombs"

11.jpg

BDA flyby:

12.jpg

As you can see from the result it seems to do the job nicely!!! The smoke also blows along the correction line...

I would like to say there is no camera trickery here, and I hope the above isn't just a placebo, and my first run was just bad. But I tried this out a few times, and it appears to do the job. Let me know how you get on!!!

Also, thanks ED for making this sim so involved, things like this are great!

Happy bombing all!

Edited by Dynamo
  • Like 34

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outstanding! I had just posted my frustration on this same topic. Thank you for taking the time to share.

+1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Awesome.. just awesome. Great job!

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Thats what I figured but I dont remember the game itself breaking down wind for differnet altitudes? I thought it was one set wind.

3 Separately configurable wind settings in the ME based on varying Altitudes.

Edit: Sniped :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback, warmer than expected.

According to the CDU documentation, you can add 7 wind layers, but as mentioned above, there are only 3 layers to edit in the mission editor.

I was expecting the correction to make a difference, I was quite suprised just how much. The Mk82 scraping down the side of the vehicle before going off was glorious to see.

• Like 1

we dont need JDAMs anymore !!!

Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

I was under the impression that manual wind correction was only for correcting flaws in the automatic system and not standard practice. The tone of this thread suggests I have been missing something (mostly tanks;)). I assumed that my repeated failure to hit anything from that height with a slick was the slicks fault not mine.

Can someone confirm that this should be standard procedure or just a "2%er". Dynamos results are impressive! I'll definitely give it a try.

Cheers.

Great find, and an excellent write-up. Thanks for taking the time to do it so thoroughly!

One tiny thing that threw me for a moment, is that you say:

So wind speed 5 ms at 270 degrees, we enter 27005.

But your initial discussion of the wind you said CCRP bombing, paired release @ 6000 ft 210kts. Wind 270 degrees 15m/s. I spent a little bit of time trying to work out why you were only entering 5 m/s before I looked at the next screenshots and decided it must've just been a typo.

Might be worth editing the post in case it confuses other people.

ED - any chance this information could be automatically loaded from the data cartridge, or do the real pilots have to enter it once in the pit? I guess in real life the winds might be variable enough that programming the expected winds at the target location prior to take-off would be a waste of time?

Hi All,

So wind speed 5 ms at 270 degrees, we enter 27005.

Entering m/s in a U.S. made a10 surely NOT !! Can someone at ED confirm, I've been entering wind speed in knots (i.e. 5m/s = 10 knots).

Also I believe this procedure is used for high/med altitude bombing as the HUD PBIL & bombing reticule SHOULD already compensate for actual wind being experienced by the aircraft at its current altitude. i.e. The Projected Bomb Impact Line follows the flight path of the aircraft. I doubt many are dropping MK82LOs from 2000m/7000ft, more like 4000ft or less (depending on dive angle).

After bomb release, theoretically if the bomb maintains the same speed as the aircraft and the wind from release point to ground level is reasonably constant, it should impact on the PBIL.

The exception is when you are using retarded/high drag weapons as they will be affected more by the wind as they decelerate.

A caveat to the above. If mission designers are putting considerably different wind direction & speeds for ground level and 2000m then I can see why this procedure would help, you will however have to extrapolate the winds. A word of caution here though .....

With the 3 winds in the DCS ME set at 0 , 2000m and 8000m, are amsl. I ran a test and they do not run linearly between the set altitudes.

e.g ME SeaLvl=090/5, 2000m=180/20, 8000m=270/80 (speed is m/sec)

I recorded the following off the EGI (speed in knots. i.e. m/sec x2 = kts)

60 ft = 084/7

1000 = 084/10

3500 = 156/19

7000 = 180/40

15000 = 202/35

23500 = 265/78

26000 = 265/78

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

No Joy here. I get the same results as when I first tried this method. Nice tight grouping, but the bombs just land amongst the craters of the unadjusted drops.

Am I missing something here? Activation Button? Page Selector? I have noticed that my entries do not affect the CDU steerpoint wind data. Is this right? Your method appears to match the manual and I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

I have tried bombing with the page selector to "other" and LASTE wind page displayed, as well as with "steerpoint" selected with standard steerpoint, all with no effect. All my runs were CCRP 9000-12000 feet. Wind 40kts (yeah, I did some bad maths in the editor and set it too high).

You noted that maybe you just got lucky. Has anyone else got this to work?

Yours in simming,

BiPod

Very good guide, thanks.

How you get this data is up to you :) You can get it form the mission editor, Air traffic, even the JTAC gives the wind vector for you.

- What, if I use the dynamic weather function? There, I don't set specific wind data, only pressure systems.

- ATC, IIRC, tell you only wind speed and direction at the airbase. What, if I don't have JTAC in the target area?

How you see, sometimes you don't get wind data. What's in such situations? Is there a work around?

kind regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But your initial discussion of the wind you said CCRP bombing, paired release @ 6000 ft 210kts. Wind 270 degrees 15m/s. I spent a little bit of time trying to work out why you were only entering 5 m/s before I looked at the next screenshots and decided it must've just been a typo.

Might be worth editing the post in case it confuses other people.

Well spotted, I read through it loads of times to make sure I didnt miss anything, but this slipt past QA! In the screen shots you can see I entered the correct value of 15 ms, but I have updated the text to relate to that, thanks for the find.

You noted that maybe you just got lucky. Has anyone else got this to work?

Perhaps I did, but it wasn't just a one off. Will be interested in hearing from others on this, as I said, I hope this isnt just wishful thinking.

Druid: windspeed in knots or m/s is a very good point. More testing later.

• Like 1