Wind correcting Dumb Bomb Delivery

Dynamo

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Very good guide, thanks.

How you see, sometimes you don't get wind data. What's in such situations? Is there a work around?

Yep get the wind at varying altitudes off your EGI. Obviously you have to fly your aircraft at the altitudes you require.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

Thanks. :thumbup:

kind regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No Joy here. I get the same results as when I first tried this method. Nice tight grouping, but the bombs just land amongst the craters of the unadjusted drops.

Am I missing something here? Activation Button? Page Selector? I have noticed that my entries do not affect the CDU steerpoint wind data. Is this right? Your method appears to match the manual and I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

I have tried bombing with the page selector to "other" and LASTE wind page displayed, as well as with "steerpoint" selected with standard steerpoint, all with no effect. All my runs were CCRP 9000-12000 feet. Wind 40kts (yeah, I did some bad maths in the editor and set it too high).

You noted that maybe you just got lucky. Has anyone else got this to work?

Yours in simming,

BiPod

We also did not see any difference at all in the impact point of the bombs. Even although I changed the wind direction in all my three layer by 180 degrees (Opposite winds) the bomb almost hit the same crater about 200m(!) away from the target. I attacked from 20000 feet, btw.

So the wind correction setting does not seem to have any noticable effect on my end !

Edited by JaBoG32_Prinzartus

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

So the wind correction setting does not seem to have any noticable effect on my end !

I should hope not otherwise it could be quite painful and a Dr is required.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

So can we get confirmation that this works? I've seen heaps of positive replies but no one has explicitly confirmed that it works. Just one "Yep it definitely works for me" will be enough for me to rep Dynamo and move on.

I've tried again at 20 kts with exactly the same results.

What about that button on the left of the LASTE page that says "Do not press! Activating this button will totally stuff everything up."

Perhaps I should leave that one unactivated next time?:music_whistling:

Yours in frustrated simming;),

BiPod.

Today I tested it, but also no joy here. The Bombs where always away from the target.

I also changed the directions - 180 degree and noticed no difference.

I have to say I entered the windspeed in m/s not ft/s so this may have a affect...

Wind setting in ME was Ground: 307/10, 2000m(6000ft) 290/15

So I think it won't affect the bombs.

But on the other hand, for what can I use these settings when it affects nothing? It think it has to be good for something...

greets

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure how ED calculate the temperature layers, but here is an example.

Picture below, you can see temperature change up to first 11Km is very linear.

atmslayers.gif

With increasing height, air temperature drops uniformly with altitude at a rate of approximately 6.5° Celsius per 1000 meters.

I asume this would be useful to know for setting temperatures in different layers.

Figure from http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/7b.html

atmslayers.gif.93813a2ca02c134da2f3fb18a11b7ba6.gif

i5 4670 - Sabertooth Z87- GTX Titan - Dell U3011 30" - 2x8GB RAM 1800 - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD - Warthog HOTAS - CH Pro pedals - TrackIR5 - Win7 64bit

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :thumbup:

Probably the wind is calculated at ~-1.98C/1000 feet. If you had +18C at MSL you would get ~+6C at 6000 feet MSL (using -2C/1000'). That is the ISA numbers.

Regards.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

I'm not sure how ED calculate the temperature layers, but here is an example.

Picture below, you can see temperature change up to first 11Km is very linear.

atmslayers.gif

With increasing height, air temperature drops uniformly with altitude at a rate of approximately 6.5° Celsius per 1000 meters.

I asume this would be useful to know for setting temperatures in different layers.

Figure from http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/7b.html

Buzz that is just a generalisation for a standard atmosphere. The are many variances IRL, inversions whether you are in cloud or not. In dry air it's 3 degrees per 1000' in wet 1.5. Yes 2 degrees per thousands feet is about right but it is not the whole game.

As for the setting of wind. Absolutely no way would an A-10 have a you insert meters per sec instead of knots in a wind field.

• 9 months later...
I don't know what I am doing wrong. From the briefing I get this:

0 m - 5 m/s - 160°

2000 m - 8 m/s - 243°

8000 m - 7 m/s - 71°

0 works fine but as soon as I enter "2" (for 2000) I get a CDU Input Error. What's wrong?

Not sure if this will help, but in aviation terms 2000 feet = 020, and 12,000 ft = 120 for example. And as mentioned, maybe the data should be entered in typical U.S. units, since this is a U.S. aircraft.

I found my error. Just checked the manual one more time (p 207 and p 208). The altitude has to be entered in feet and the speed has to be in knots. So if the briefing gives you meters and meters/s you have to convert them first (values have to be rounded). So my upper values would be:

Briefing:

0 m - 5 m/s - 160°

2000 m - 8 m/s - 243°

8000 m - 7 m/s - 71°

Converted for CDU (rounded values):

0 feet - 10 knots - 160°

6000 feet - 16 knots - 243°

26000 feet - 14 knots - 71°

So now you just enter 0, 6 and 26 for the layers and then move on and enter 16010, 24316 and 07114 - now you are all set up ... :)

Interesting read. I missed this when it was first posted.

Can't help thinking about the Norden Bombsight our guys used in the Flying Forts and Superforts in WW2, they needed to correct for wind then:).

Then I thought, why would we need to input these wind calculations? If you are dropping bombs from higher altitude, our A10c has JDAMs and LGBs.;)

The CBU 105/103 has as (WCMD) GPS tail kit bolted on so we just target it to the SPI.

Aint progress a wonderful thing :D.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

See, fantastic the level of detail modeled in DCS, even down to the inevitable "lost in translation" between a briefing in Metric and a system that takes Imperial...love it!

Next step in the Pursuit of Realism: The virtual officer responsible for compiling the briefing material demoted to the rank of private, deemed unsuitable for service and transferred to the role of liaison with the Swiss High Sea Navy due to persisting with his refusal to follow SOPs and use the correct units.

Then I thought, why would we need to input these wind calculations? If you are dropping bombs from higher altitude, our A10c has JDAMs and LGBs.;)

A quick google indicates there are between 20,000 and 50,000 reasons per boom to use dumb bombs when possible. ;)

A quick google indicates there are between 20,000 and 50,000 reasons per boom to use dumb bombs when possible. ;)

Yes, quite so.

Was just thinking again ( dangerous that;) ), if your CO gives you a vital target to take out and also gives you choice of bombs, would I choose Iron Dumb bombs?

Answer, well really, if the profile is lo-lo-lo, then no. ( Exception being High Draggers) If its anything with "high" in the middle, well no again. I know my IAM or LGB will correct itself for any wind. ( Burp, even after too much festive turkey:huh:)

There again if we have run out of IAM's or LGB's then bring on the Norden:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Well, I doubt you'll typically be given a choice as to the munition to use. And the person who do gets to choose works for the tax payers. Norden's fine and dandy if you're planning on dropping a stick while flying in formation. Otherwise, I think the LASTE is a better option! :)

I love the wind drift instrument they had in the good old bombers though. Now, why don't we have that in aircraft today? It would make life so much easier when navigating properly.

Edited by effte
Spelink.

just tried this , caused my game to crash when i set one of the altitude in the wind page to 0.6 ( with latest patch of course) :huh:
It won't work because only "whole" values like 0, 8 etc. are accepted. For some reason some inputs don't work or are set to a different value. So if I enter 7 or something it will show 8 in the CDU. Don't know the reason for that - this might be a bug?