Wind correcting Dumb Bomb Delivery

Dynamo

This was discussed in another thread, and I think the conclusion was that you enter the altitude in feet but the simulator converts it to even thousands of meters "behind the scenes"... only to retranslate it to thousands of feet when presenting it again. Hence, 6000 feet becomes 2000 meters becomes 7000 feet on your CDU display.

6000 ft = 1829 m, rounded to 2000 m

2000 m = 6562 ft, rounded to 7000 ft

IOW, enter "6" and you'll see "7".

7000 ft would work though, unless there are offsets in there somewhere - might well be.

Cheers,

Fred

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Testing now. :)

Wow, this is so sick! I dropped a single 82 on a random spot somewhere from 12k feet, it hit within 4 meters... Crazy. Thank you!

Edited by Megagoth1702

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

Temperatures above FL240 (24,000 ft) are always negative, so what is the procedure for entering negative temps in the CDU?
The question is if you really need that altitude-layer for the calculation since you will probably never drop a dumb bomb from that altitude. Good point on the minus-temp though because winter can be chosen as a season in the editor.

Sweet; wind corrections demystified! I used to have to set the wind values in the Mission Editor lower if I wanted to hit anything with irons, now it's warheads on foreheads from 12,000 AGL!

....well, ok, maybe I just singe their eyebrows a little, but it's a good sight better than it was!

keep the learnin' coming and I might just feel able to hazard playing online without looking like a total noob :D

Edited by OutOnTheOP

Looking at the temperature chart posted earlier, the question comes to mind: has anyone been able to determine if the system automatically extrapolates temperature at other altitudes if you enter only one temperature (IE, sea level)?

I'm not sure how one would test this, though... I suspect the induced error from the air temperature is small enough to be difficult to distinguish from other sources of random error.

Looking at the temperature chart posted earlier, the question comes to mind: has anyone been able to determine if the system automatically extrapolates temperature at other altitudes if you enter only one temperature (IE, sea level)?

I'm not sure how one would test this, though... I suspect the induced error from the air temperature is small enough to be difficult to distinguish from other sources of random error.

Yes, the temperature would be a very small factor regarding the accuracy, but it is a factor that influences on air density, so I always input it on the CDU for the altitudes I'm currently in. I'm a "big fan" of this CDU feature and, on my testing, wind correction does make a huge difference on bombs delivery. It is really nice to see an unguided Mk-82 flying balisticly on the air and hitting right on top of a tank. Very nice, indeed!

Regarding your question, I believe the system extrapolates the temperatures for the other altitudes, however, in order to do that, it needs at least two parameters. In your example, one from the sea level and other one for any chosen altitude. And any temperatures in between the system calculates, as it does with the wind speed and direction.

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

• 2 weeks later...

I have to try this. Keep discovering Einstein! :thumbup:

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Excellent info mate. Thank you

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

degoe,

you have the windspeed and OAT where you are at available in the CDU. For accurate bomb delivery, you need to enter the wind speeds in the layers the bomb will fall through as well.

Trev,

that's peculiar. Doesn't agree with the standard atmosphere or what you can deduce from how the atmosphere works. Any reason you can think of for this deviation in your operation? Are you usually entering cloud at those altitudes? Your quoted figure is close to the wet lapse rate.

Cheers,

Fred

Edited by effte

Can't help thinking about the Norden Bombsight our guys used in the Flying Forts and Superforts in WW2, they needed to correct for wind then.

The Norden bombsight corrected for winddrift of the bomber at its altitude, it did not, however, correct for the wind effects on the bombs themselves. That's why WWII high altitude bombing was so poor. Bad in Europe but absolutely dismal when B29's were dropping in or through jetstream winds.

• 4 months later...

Thanks Dyanmo! I have tested your suggestion and it works very well. It doesn’t make dumb bombs work like a laser-guided one (if it did there would be no smart bombs) but it improves accuracy a lot.

I have tested it with very strong winds (up to 90 knots) and using LASTE makes a huge difference!

Very good job!

I would it depends on the release altitude. If you release at 5,000 ft AGL in CCIP mode you would probably hit the target (ofcourse assuming that there aren't heavy storms with 50 knots wind or even more ;) ).

But if you would drop your bomb at 15.000 ft in CCIP mode, and there is moderate wind (maybe 15 knots, or 25 or even more) you probably miss, if you don't enter the winds below you. Okay, I am not an A-10 pilot neither I am an expert wiht CCIP bomb dropping, but I am sure that the plane can't know the wind below it, and that a bomb will get a little possition shift due to wind. And I am also pretty sure that you may want to enter your winds into your CDU when you are dropping unguided bombs, in CCIP, at 15.000 ft.

Okay, I don't think that will happen too often. ;)

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

• 5 months later...

Could someone just run though it again as the first tutorial, although excellent, is very confusing about the units (i.e. feet, metres, m/s, knots) to be used.

Also can someone clarify what to do with the wind speed measurements given in briefing to put into the LASTE?

Take a close look at page 206 and 207 - there you can see that the units used are knots and feet (and not m/s and m).

The direction given in the briving is "blowing to" - you need to input "blowing from" in the CDU.

Therefore:

- convert the wind-direction by adding or substracting 180°

- convert windspeed from m/s into knots.

I have attached a briefing screen and have also included a track in which this data is typed into the CDU.

Ground = 0 feet

2.000 m = roughly 7.000 feet

8.000 m = roughly 27.000 feet (will turn to 26.000 feet in the CDU)

4 m/s = roughly 8 knots

7 m/s = roughly 14 knots

windedit.trk

wind.thumb.jpg.149374a21526314011bf45d13e65d3c0.jpg

• Like 1

Well, my results were inconclusive, at best. Made 3 runs with Mk-82s and missed tgt each time. Used feet/knots, as mentioned above. First run w/o laste data went over tgt but not by much. With laste data, landed just short, by about same distance as w/o data. 2nd run with laste data from another direction with same results.

A previous attempt I used meters and m/s as in mission briefing, with pretty much same results as here, except my single run w/o laste data was off by a bit more than the included track.

laste ft knts.trk

The direction given in the briving is "blowing to" - you need to input "blowing from" in the CDU.

How did you make that determination?

Manual only says:

First enter the magnetic wind direction as three digits and

then the wind speed in knots as two digits.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.