Wind correcting Dumb Bomb Delivery

Dynamo

How did you make that determination?

Manual only says:

Because it's an internationally accepted convention in aviation to indicate wind direction as blowing from...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you make that determination?

Manual only says:

As already mentioned that's the way it is used in aviation. I have set up a mission with strictly west winds - according to the briefing and editor it is "blowing towards 90°" at a speed of 9 m/s at ground level. So if you convert the speed and direction you end up with 270° at about 17 knots. During takeoff I checked my CDU and came up with that ... :)

brief.thumb.jpg.730451998ad9e2695d7c6e6d3a1d9213.jpg

Screen_121112_174637.thumb.jpg.5d5c20b6670d4d13b93ef302e0c9ab30.jpg

The CDU wind estimation should be more accurate when you're in the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Dumb question, but for the altitude entry in the wind page, is alt set only to the nearest thousand? Like 6000 is 06, and 10 000 is 10?

I'm just gonna confirm because otherwise I wouldn't think you'd be able to set wind above single digit altitude.

Also, does this affect CCIP or just CCRP?

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Are you all managing to input the altitude correctly? Whenever i try putting in 04 for 4000 i either get 03 or cdu error. It seems to only work if i put in numbers with a 0 afterward like 20, 30, 40 etc. 60 comes up as 59 on the page too. Is this tens of thousands of feet and why can't i put in thousands of feet?

Why is it in MPS? Surely it should be in Knots or is it a Russianism?

It's shown as knots in the CDU steer page. Remember - DCS started out as a BLACK SHARK simulation, which uses metric data. Then americans came in with their imperial stuff. So in the mission editor you will find a lot of metric stuff. But everything in the A-10 is imperial.

Are you all managing to input the altitude correctly? Whenever i try putting in 04 for 4000 i either get 03 or cdu error. It seems to only work if i put in numbers with a 0 afterward like 20, 30, 40 etc. 60 comes up as 59 on the page too. Is this tens of thousands of feet and why can't i put in thousands of feet?

This is a known issue. Not sure if it's reported though/gonna get fixed...

Actually, I will go ahead and post a track on this right now.

Yes, it's thousands.

03 = 3000, 04=4000.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried this and the accuracy is scary! Thanks! I can also confirm the wrong number being displayed when setting altitude (03 when typing 06 and so forth) but that doesn't seem to affect the function. I just plinked tanks from 7000 feet with my mk-82s... Cool!

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

The LASTE wind page is only an urban legend.

I basically determined this myself. The confusion I think comes from the fact that this is a fully explained part of the CDU section in the manual but unlike all other non functional features in the cockpit, it isn't explicitly said to be non functional. TISL has a piece of HUD symbology even though its clearly said to be non functional.

Its amazing what leaving one sentence out of a manual turns into on the forums.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

The confusion I think comes from the fact that this is a fully explained part of the CDU section in the manual but unlike all other non functional features in the cockpit, it isn't explicitly said to be non functional.

Your assumption on the other hand is not fully explained, how do we know if it's functional ?

Some simple testing would show you that it isn't. Either that or asking the right people.

Hint: No it doesn't work. The IFFCC doesn't take into account anything you enter in the LASTE wind config and hasn't in any previous version.

It may do in the future if there is ever time to fix/implement it.

That said, there really isn't any need to use it in 90% of cases as the automatic wind correction performed by the IFFCC does the job.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

• 1 month later...
Some simple testing would show you that it isn't. Either that or asking the right people.

Hint: No it doesn't work. The IFFCC doesn't take into account anything you enter in the LASTE wind config and hasn't in any previous version.

That said, there really isn't any need to use it in 90% of cases as the automatic wind correction performed by the IFFCC does the job.

So, all the 90 previous posts are describing a Placebo effect? Does the IFFCC automatic wind correction compensate for high altitude dumb bomb drops (12 to 20 k)?

OK, ED, So we should stop wasting our time converting mps to fps and km to kft?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

So, all the 90 previous posts are describing a Placebo effect? Does the IFFCC automatic wind correction compensate for high altitude dumb bomb drops (12 to 20 k)?

Yep. It's been tested by several of us, and the CDU winds are clearly not hooked up to anything at the moment.

IFFCC does - and always has - correctly compensated for the measued winds being experienced by the aircraft. What IFFCC is NOT doing is taking into account that the winds experienced by the bomb at lower altitude may differ significantly in direction and speed. At last check in DCS, IFFCC assumes that wind velocity decreases linearly from the present value to 0kt at -4000ft.

The real unit makes the same assumption, but also accounts for the CDU winds. So, for those who swear it makes a difference in the game, it doesn't. In fact, even the wind entry process is porked. Don't waste time with it; it doesn't work and even if it did, it's not necessary unless you're dropping a bomb through a wind layer that differs dramatically from the wind layer you're in.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

• 3 months later...

I would like feedback as well as to whether or not it is now implemented.... PLEASE ED :(

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

In the 1.2.4 update it says:

• Fixed LASTE Wind Edit data entry.

Does this mean that it´s now implemented?

Seconded. I too would like more info on the subject. What exactly is now modeled in the game?

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

In the 1.2.4 update it says:

• Fixed LASTE Wind Edit data entry.

Does this mean that it´s now implemented?

I would like feedback as well as to whether or not it is now implemented.... PLEASE ED :(

Seconded. I too would like more info on the subject. What exactly is now modeled in the game?

please watching the track attached.

Now is possible to modify the wind info for CCIP bombing according to the wind direction/speed present in the mission.

more info at pag 205 DCS A-10C Warthog Manual 1.2.4.

iffcc_wind_edit.trk

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 
HOTAS: TM Warthog - Cougar \ HP Reverb G2 \ WinWing Panels

Tally: I see the degenerate commie who wants to ruin our day.

if that is the case, it is AWESOME of you guys at ED to take this step forward.

please watching the track attached.

Now is possible to modify the wind info for CCIP bombing according to the wind direction/speed present in the mission.

more info at pag 205 DCS A-10C Warthog Manual 1.2.4.

Thanks, you could have added an actual attack with dumb bombs to the track. :)

I am fully aware how to input wind drift and three different layers available in the sim. Was told previously that this is just for show.

My question should have been: is wind drift correction fully modeled in the game and will we see changes to the dumb bomb accuracy when we properly input wind data now?

Thanks (no.2)

Edited by T}{OR

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature