Wind correcting Dumb Bomb Delivery

Dynamo

Hi Eddie after 4 hours of intense testing from our teammate Gusanako he found from where the problem may come. Original post --> http://www.escuadron69.net/v20/foro/index.php?/topic/57191-laste-viento-y-bombas-tontas/?p=850098

I summarize:

The problem may come from mission editor, if we put some wind in the layer of 0-2000m. seem to introduce an error data in the wind inside the game, and this error causes inaccurate CCIP deliveries.

If we avoid to put wind in the layer from 0 to 2000m. CCIP seems to work better.

The good news... LASTE works flawlessly.

He made 2 vid´s showing how without using wind layer in 0-2000m. a CCIP delivery can fail, but using the wind page in LASTE the same CCIP delivery gets more accurate.

No laste setting:

With Laste setting:

(watch in 720HD)

Greetings

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem may come from mission editor, if we put some wind in the layer of 0-2000m. seem to introduce an error data in the wind inside the game, and this error causes inaccurate CCIP deliveries.

If we avoid to put wind in the layer from 0 to 2000m. CCIP seems to work better.

How does this problem manifests? I measured some wind settings of the ME by flying in-game and watching my CDU read-out. I flew up and noted every altitude the wind changed.

In this case I had set up the layers 0 m MSL and 2000 m MSL both with the same wind speed of 20 m/s and both with the same direction. I would have expected no wind changes except maybe for that gradually slowing down of the wind the further down you go. But these were my results:

attachment.php?attachmentid=86829&d=1377907436

Note the strong winds between ~200 and 2000 meters! Is this similar to what you and your team have experienced? Also note the rapid increase of the wind from ground to ~200 ft - but I am unsure of what that means/implies ...

Hrm, while writing this ... maybe we misinterprete the ME settings? Maybe the layers are _meant_ to be added? Dunno ...

Edited by Flagrum

No laste setting:

With Laste setting:

Hrmm ... if I am not totally mistaken, you come in from the west in the first video and if the wind in the ME is the same as in the second vid, you are having crosswind from N (i.e. from your left).

But in the second vid, you are running in actually from the north - and thus have no real crosswind (only tail wind).

Hrmm ... if I am not totally mistaken, you come in from the west in the first video and if the wind in the ME is the same as in the second vid, you are having crosswind from N (i.e. from your left).

But in the second vid, you are running in actually from the north - and thus have no real crosswind (only tail wind).

In this case without correction LASTE the bomb had passed the target.

No matter the direction of attack, the wind always acts on the bomb.

After testing this for 4 hours I can affirm to 100%, manual correction of "LASTE" works.

Edited by gusanako

So...if you don't put any wind in the ME, ie wind = 0, you say LASTE is more accurate? Is that correct?

CCIP and laste without wind doesn´t have any problem.

Problem appear with wind in the setting 0-2000m. If you avoid to put wind in this layer an uses the 2000m-8000m and above no problem with it and also Settings in LASTE made CCIP more accurate.

Greetings.

• 2 weeks later...
CCIP and laste without wind doesn´t have any problem.

Problem appear with wind in the setting 0-2000m. If you avoid to put wind in this layer an uses the 2000m-8000m and above no problem with it and also Settings in LASTE made CCIP more accurate.

Greetings.

Good job with this step so far (yet let's not take this as a way to ignore the bug, let's hope ED fixes it) and with a video proof, which is always undeniable!

Good day!

Mistakes, obviously, show us what needs improving. Without mistakes, how would we know what we had to work on!

Making DCS a better place for realism.

Let it be, ED!

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I've found in A-10s Over Kosovo. I'll try today to test if LASTE in game requires stabilisation to compute accurate solution.

"I tried not to jerk the stick or make any sudden inputs that might throw the LASTE solution and the CBU-87 canisters off target. Slowly, in seconds that were like minutes, the pipper approached the target. As it got closer, it seemed to ac- celerate. I resisted the urge to push forward on the stick to slow the pipper’s movement and make the weapons-release point easier to judge. If I had done that, I would have “bunted” the aircraft, fooled the computer, and caused the canisters to impact long of the target. Temporal distortion is normal dur- ing a diving delivery—it just seemed much more intense now that I was doing the job for real. I waited until the pipper was superimposed on the target, pressed the pickle button, and felt the two clunks as the two canisters left the jet and started their ballistic fall."