DCS A10 and i7 990X performance.

Post copied over from SandyBridge thread for comparisons sake:

Guys, cinebench is not the only application out there. If you read all the articles you will find that some applications, i.e. cinebench and video encoding will run faster on Sandybridge while others such as multiple 3d games that have been benched run about on par with the current 980x. Some applications the 980x still wins. You cant base your decision on one or two benches but rather the application you intend to apply your cpu to. I work for Intel and will be the first to admit that the new CPUs are awesome, especially when considering price/performance ratio. But if you bench 30 different applications of various natures your not going to be seeing Sandybridge being a hands down winner over 980x.

As an aside, I just received my i7 990x cpu today and in the next couple days plan to benchmark it in DCS and post results. My plan is to overclock it as far as it will go using stock voltages and a good aircooler. Since my 950 reached 4Ghz no problem on stock voltage, I expect to be able to reach modest numbers above this with ease. Since I have 2 GTX 470 I will post numbers from my 950, and 990x both in sli mode and sli disabled. Since results typically vary depending on mission assets, please post a track you would like me to run. I will open new thread with this subject so please post the track there as that is where I will look.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

Can you explain why an i7 with 4 cores can be bought for $300, but adding 2 more cores more than triples the price in the intel world?

I cant wait to see your test results, but somehow doubt that a 990 will be 3 times better than a Sandy quad.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

I installed my chip this evening and had to wrestle with DCS getting corupted and having to reinstall so I only managed some preliminary testing and did not have time to try different settings or tweaks with Nvidia control panel. I managed a 4.5Ghz stable overclock but my initial impression is that I did not see a noticeable performance improvement over the i950. Somehow Im not surprised and really wasnt expecting much. Its all part of the law of diminishing returns. All settings were set to max except AA was 8x. Flying the instant action mission, my fps ranged from 78-38 most of the time and dropping in the high teens low 20s in some areas. I havent experienced the slow down other people have complained about when firing the GAU, but when the bomb hits the bridge at waypoint 4, the sim pauses for about a second every single time. Probably a known issue Im sure. I dont really care about Cinebench benchmarks but since others made a big deal about it, I tried it and managed only 6038 score for the single thread cpu render. Multi-core test was a different story.

As far as pricing goes, this processor hasnt even been released yet but it'll probably be in $999 range that their premium chip always go for. Do I think its worth that price? No. But you always will pay premium price for premium performance regardless of whos brand your buying. 990X will likely shine much more in multi-threaded applications than single/dual core type apps. As far as i can tell, the only difference between the 980x and 990x is minor speed bumb.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart