Mounting Stick

I want to mount my TM Warthog stick as it should be: between the legs resting on some sort of device connected to the floor for stability.

Does anyone know of any flight stick mounts which would work with the TM Warthog? I do not have the money / space to afford a fully separate flight seat or traditional pit. As a result, I need something which will work with an office chair and rest securely on the floor.

Any ideas? Thanks for the advice.

I want to mount my TM Warthog stick as it should be: between the legs resting on some sort of device connected to the floor for stability.

Does anyone know of any flight stick mounts which would work with the TM Warthog? I do not have the money / space to afford a fully separate flight seat or traditional pit. As a result, I need something which will work with an office chair and rest securely on the floor.

Any ideas? Thanks for the advice.

Original base with Stick extention maybe?? Mine is center stick, but with UMC Base and SCS AcesII seat/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Celticcoho (OriginFreedom)

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

Legitimate answer... Not easy for me to do but here you go.

Wood. It's cheap, fast, easy to work with. I have a simpit made out of it.

I"m confused, what kind of "wood" are you talking about? I mean, I have "wood" which is fast and easy to work with, but it ain't cheap.

That is damn cool! But I must tell you, you are out of uniform. The UCMJ states that your shoes must be clean, black, and serviceable.

Very creative, but also show you have some woodworking and engineering skills. Nicely done!

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

I keep meaning to build my own mount like Mobius but haven't found the time. So what I did was when shopping with the wife I just looked for a vase stand or pedestal type furniture. Took me a fair bit of looking but found something that was the right height to put the WH on.

That is damn cool! But I must tell you, you are out of uniform. The UCMJ states that your shoes must be clean, black, and serviceable.

Very creative, but also show you have some woodworking and engineering skills. Nicely done!

Thanks! I have an engineering degree and I've been a carpenter for the last 8 years, so it took 4 years of school and 8 years of field experience to build it! But I think most could do it with much less. :smilewink:

And, they ammended the UCMJ to include white cotton socks as acceptaple flight gear. :D

Stupid thermals...

http://rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims/floor_unit_f321.html

You wanted easy, cheap, small space, and use with existing equipment right? Check it. Uses ANY office chair and can center mount a stick as well as throttle and pedals.

My ONLY issue might be extreme angle on the stick. I am sure that can be altered to straighten it out though

I know you said center mounted but you might also consider this.

http://rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims/floor_unit.html

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is my old (X-52) Roger Dodger set up. I went from center mounted to side mounted because of comfort.

sov_setup.jpg

Note: Right now I am in the middle of rebuilding the mount since I acquired the Warthog HOTAS and it requires certain adjustments, such as reinforcement of throttle and stick stand, as well as other structural stability tweaks. On top of that I will be running an extended Warthog as such it will be adjusted per stick extension. I found working with PVC very easy and versatile for my application, I can easily remove the stand into the closet if I ever need to make my computer desk look normal again... not that I ever do it. :music_whistling:

Does your stick "sway" when you are playing or is the setup pretty rigid? What was uncomfortable about the center mounted setup. Would you recommend this product?

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does your stick "sway" when you are playing or is the setup pretty rigid? What was uncomfortable about the center mounted setup. Would you recommend this product?

An X-52 is a very loosy stick, using it in on this stand was very easy and the stand did not sway. Using a center mounted stick on a short joystick (like the X-52) introduces a lot of inaccuracy into your flying, while being primarily a combat oriented simmer, I still make it a priority to master all aspects of flight, and not just after-burning into the stratosphere and spamming some missiles. As such, after flying with center mounted short stick and receiving a few tips from the great Berkuts (Frazer and Timoha), I noticed that my hand will fatigue quicker due to constant small adjustments that are required when in formation or a set maneuver, as well as your elbow is suspended in the air making it harder to execute precise movements. Thus, the switch over to the tenso-stick set up as found in modern jets, where your elbow is supported by the chair's arm rest, works wonders.

When I got the Warthog HOTAS, the structural deficiencies of the stand became apparent. Due to the weight and force required to operate, I started noticing sway of up to half an inch on my joystick side of the stand, which doesn't help flying at all! That is why I am currently rebuilding it :) I will be using 4 posts per side. Since warthog allows to be easily extended, I will be toying with the idea to going back to center mount... but I am still awaiting for the extension to arrive, so can't say much on it.

For what it's worth, I have no regrets of supporting RogerDodger for his work and investment into our little community of flight freaks.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I think I have figured out a way to rearrange my desk so that my TM Warthog is in a more comfortable position. I'll post a picture soon for your reference. Might help someone else out with their own planning.

Here's how I did mine.... materials were right in the basement.. took 20 mins or so to slap together. Nice thing is, my seat ( very comfy IKEA chair ) slides right under the stick and puts it more "in the crotch".. LOL

5409824037_09f9bfbf51.jpg

simple plywood bottom.. 2 2x4's attached together and 3/8" plywood on top of that. then simply screw the WH onto that.

Home built i5 quadcore. dual ATI 4850 in xfire mode. 16GB ram Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Rudder, TrackIR 5, TM MFD's, windows 7 64 ultimate.. 40" primary screen, 19" secondary

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]