Having a hard time landing without blowing tires

reschke

Someone needs to buy stock in Firestone, Goodyear, Continental, Michelin, Pirelli, etc... if I am going to be playing this game I am going to run out of tires and airframes before I get a complete Campaign finished.

Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ

A-10C_UserBar_04.gif.632b6636b377c44d7dc562f85b269d2b.gif

well without a track, it's pretty hard to point out what you are doing wrong..

WOOOOoooooo

------------------------------------------------------

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2GHz Black edition

8GB DDR3 1333

GeForce GTX580

Windows 7 64bit

------------------------------------------------------

Try adjusting your seat height upward. In a real jet, if your seat is not adjusted properly, it can result in hard landings. Seat height can affect your visual cues during a landing. Also, in this sim it may help to move your view forward (zoom in) a little, sort of like moving your seat forward in a real jet.

Also make sure you are on-speed.....a correct landing speed with a stabilized, fairly shallow rate of descent. Be fully configured - flaps full, gear down, and on-speed 5 miles out from touchdown.

Edited by Chops

Before touchdown, trim that the AOA is on the circle. Now use the throttle to put you gently on the tarmac:

Aim at the touchdown point of the runway, when approaching the runway let the vector slowly wander to the end of the runway. Then throttle away approx. 20 feet above ground. Airbrake out and touchdown!

Focus on staying on AOA on final and roundout and flare a little before you think you should, then put the FPM on or a little below the horizon line with the throttles at idle, speedbrakes out, and flaps fully down. The jet will stop flying as you slow down and you should settle smoothly.

Stupid thermals...

What is the decent rate that is good for a landing anyway? I always thought they measured how much a gear could actually take and how much a tire as well. I love that touch but generally I think the gear damages first before a tire would blow unless you were sideslipping badly.

Like in the manual it does state the best climb / decent rate speed how many ft/s etc that I could find. I remember in older sims landing on carriers you had to keep it to a certain range to account for the pitching deck could sometimes add more strain on the gear..

---

May your takeoffs equal your landings!

Yeah I don't have a problem with the AOA my problem is with the speed and a little...well a LOT more wobble and waggle in the wings when I am coming in and probably more speed than I should have.

As for a track...yeahhhhh I haven't quite gotten the guts to film what I am actually doing since this is my first foray back into modern aircraft after A LONG time flying prop cartoon planes in Aces High. Those puppies are a lot more forgiving when you go slamming into a carrier deck in an FSO trying to defend the carrier from the incoming bad guys.

Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ

A-10C_UserBar_04.gif.632b6636b377c44d7dc562f85b269d2b.gif

Yeah I don't have a problem with the AOA my problem is with the speed and a little...well a LOT more wobble and waggle in the wings when I am coming in and probably more speed than I should have.

As for a track...yeahhhhh I haven't quite gotten the guts to film what I am actually doing since this is my first foray back into modern aircraft after A LONG time flying prop cartoon planes in Aces High. Those puppies are a lot more forgiving when you go slamming into a carrier deck in an FSO trying to defend the carrier from the incoming bad guys.

Ah its all good man. Posting a track can only help you out in the long run. Most the guys here can be real helpful. As for your speed and wobble. My normal touchdown speed is about 120 knots. I have landed at 150 knots with out a problem. My biggest issue is pitch. Make sure your flaps are down all the way and then I normally bring the gear down when i get finally clearance from ATC, which is when the tell you to verify gear down. Best thing to do is get a good long approach till your comfortable with landing. Slow and steady and you cant go wrong.

As for a track...yeahhhhh I haven't quite gotten the guts to film what I am actually doing ...

Not needed actually, dcs automatically saves a track file of the previous flight (in the installation folder, I can look up the exact location when I'm home later today). If you upload that here, we can have a look to give you a few pointers :)

Watch your Verticle Velocity Indicator. While you are on the glideslope you should be at -500 Feet Per Minute.

Once you flare your aircraft before touchdown you should be less than -500 FPM. I'm not sure what the actual touchdown VVI descent should be. Anything below -500 FPM would presumably be good.

"Simultaneous selection of fuel dump and afterburner during high AOA

maneuvering may cause fuel to ignite with resulting fuselage damage."

The VVI has quite a delay and can only be used to verify steady descent rates. While flaring look at your total velocity vector symbol in the HUD and place that just a tad below the horizon line (anything below the horizon means descent).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

BTW: I will wager I can touch-and-go at any speed within the flight envelope without blowing a tyre. Anyone don't believe me?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

BTW: I will wager I can touch-and-go at any speed within the flight envelope without blowing a tyre. Anyone don't believe me?

I don't. For starters, i doubt you'll even be able to extend the landing gear. :D

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Who said I was going to extend the landing gear? :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO

Seriously, The damage model allows you to touch the ground and get away without anything other than some scratched paint;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO