Where have you been all my life? :)

I just 'discovered' the barrel-rolling missile evasion track provided in the training section of Lock On, and I must say it is the best thing to happen to me since I paged through JF-15's manual and learned how to use TWS. I knew of barrel-rolling before, but thought it was like some kind of cheat. The AI pushed me to it, with it's stupid super anti-missile forcefield that just repels incoming missiles.

Anyway, it's like some magic missile evasion tactic; now, it doesn't matter that the AI can evade my BVRAAMs, or if I run out of decoys, because I finally have the means to close in and kill them with either Sidewinders or guns as necessary. It would've been nice if the 'Excellent' AI adopted such tactics to dance around my missiles instead of its futuristic missile-repelling forcefield, because then I might've been compelled to copy the tactic :)

Just thought some of you would like to know ;)

sigzk5.jpg

I must say barrel rolling around a missle is THE coolest way to avoid a missle. :) Try it against the CVN-70 when it launches a missle at you. Ask SE, he seen me barrel roll aroudn that missle, and it was the sweetest feeling I have ever gotten. I wish I had a video of that because it made me laugh for hours.

Some kind of cheat? Barrel rolling around missiles has been a standard real world tactic for decades, and is listed as an evasion tactic in many flight sim manuals.

I need to go try this in the Su-25T. I have a feeling that overweight thing will get about a quarter of the way around before the AOA light goes off, the airframe starts to shake, and it flips a wing down as it stalls. :)

SimHQ Technology Editor

TSH member

I usualy avoid using it except when Im too close to run anyway. You simply loose off alot of energy doing it along with situational awareness, not to mention that IRL it works badly against BVR missiles wich have rather large warheads.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Barrel rolling around missiles has been a standard real world tactic for decades, and is listed as an evasion tactic in many flight sim manuals.

Doesn't exactly make it a real world tactic if its only listed in flight sim manuals, does it? I'm not saying that it is a cheat, just that I've always seen it as one. I've been trying to find actual real world documentation that does list it as an evasion tactic, but I couldn't find any. The closest I got was when an F-16CJ pilot described an orthogonal roll (executed when the missile is abeam, not head-on) he used to evade 3 Serb SAMs in the USAF 2000 Yearbook magazine.

please could someone tell me in which version of lomac i can find it end the title of the track

tnx

I found it in V1.1 FC. However, you might find it in V1.02 (I'm not sure) and if not, try Ironhand's new website for some tracks.

sigzk5.jpg

I've been trying to master this one myself recently. I get a bit disoriented though and usually get shot out of the air when attempting this maneuver. I need to view that track again and nail this thing down.

The "weave tactic" I can seem to handle much better.

The trick is to hold a fairly constant G throughout the maneuver, about 5-5.5 for the most time ... that way yuo'll avoid blacking out. If you're nose-low yuo also won't kill all your speed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda