How about more Flap Control keystrokes?

How about more Flap Control keystrokes?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How about more Flap Control keystrokes?

• This is a great idea! Please help us ED!
    • This is an okay idea...but not necessary.
    • I don't care either way.
    • You're a bloomin' idiot for even thinking about this!

I would like to bind flap control to my X52 throttle slider, but it doesn't work quite as I want since "F" toggles Flaps Up/Down.

So if "F" toggles flaps up/down

and Shift+F = flaps to landing position

and Crtl+F = flaps up

How about a Alt+F = flaps to combat (or takeoff) position?

Then, on a slider programmed with a three band area, one could have the top band = Crtl+F (flaps up), middle band = Alt+F (combat flaps), and lower band = Shift+F (Landing flaps). This way flap positioning is intuitive and a bit more realistic as the lower the slider is moved, the lower the flaps are deployed.

Just a thought, and I'm sorry if this subject has been mentioned before.

-Chris

Alienware P4 3.0 GHz 800 MHz FSB | WinXP Pro SP2 | 2 GB PC3200 | ATI X850 256 MB with XT PE BIOS | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 3 Pro with Vector Expansion | Voice Buddy v3.0

Not a bad idea :)

It is however redundant...

You can go flaps down -> combat -> landing and the reverse on a slider pretty easily right now ... ctrl-F -> F -> shift-F and back. It'll work fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

i'd like to see two keys for flaps. one to run them down in stages and the other to run them up in stages.

ie "f" for flaps down. press f once and u get stage one flaps, second press and u get stage two flaps.

"ctrl f" for up in stages, same as above, but reversed direction.

cobra_sig01.jpg

Not a bad idea :)

It is however redundant...

You can go flaps down -> combat -> landing and the reverse on a slider pretty easily right now ... ctrl-F -> F -> shift-F and back. It'll work fine.

To go flaps from up position -> to combat -> to landing and reverse you have to actually do F -> Shift-F -> Ctrl-F (or F) -> Ctrl-F (or F). At least for Su-25T, I just tried it. Pretty confusing. Even you got it wrong. I agree with 169th_Cobra's suggestion. That way you need only two keys to fully control flaps - and there is not much mistakes you can do there. Currently you need three keys to fully control flaps - and if you are using F key you better take look at where your flaps currently are because otherwise they might go opposite direction than you want them to go.

Has anyone does this on a Saitek X52? I've been attempting to get the flaps to work with no sucess.

Using the SST software, slider to bands. Upper band = CRTL+F (Flaps Up), Middle band = F (Combat flaps), lower band = SHIFT+F (landing flaps)

When I go in-game, I can get combat flaps and landing flaps, but when I return to the upper band area, the flap starts to move, but returns to combat flaps position.

Also, when I change modes, the flaps will actuate. All modes are programmed the exact same.

Any thoughts anyone? (Constructive that is) ;)

Thanks,

-Chris

Alienware P4 3.0 GHz 800 MHz FSB | WinXP Pro SP2 | 2 GB PC3200 | ATI X850 256 MB with XT PE BIOS | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 3 Pro with Vector Expansion | Voice Buddy v3.0

you only need 2 to fully control flaps. One for shift-f (full flaps) and F to toggle flaps from full to half/half to none/none to half (F will never go half to full). However this probably won't work with the slider key on the throttle. Since I only use full flaps on take off, I have it mapped to a rarely used button and then have the flaps toggle on a normal button.

you only need 2 to fully control flaps. One for shift-f (full flaps) and F

Yes, my bad, you are right - two keys are currently enough to fully control flaps in LOMAC.

On second thought - it probably wouldn't be good idea to use the same button for puting flaps to combat position and putting them into landing position. I once fully retracted flaps on SU25T during high speed in hope to quickly slow down - and one flap piece just broke out (good modelling job ED !) - it was then quite challenging to fly the plane with half side of the flaps on one wing missing. So if the same key was used to control both flaps position then this could happen acidentally quite often.

The way I would like to control flaps is:

o one button (F) - to move flaps from "up" do "combat". If flaps were already in combat position then this key wouldn't do anything

o second button (CTRL-F) - to move flaps from "landing" to "combat" or from "combat" to "up". If flaps were already in "up" position then this key wouldn't do anything.

o third button (SHIFT-F) - to move flaps into "landing position" from any previous position. If flaps were already in "landing" position then this key wouldn't do anything.

This way you can control flaps without remembering/looking where your flaps currently are.

Using the SST software, slider to bands. Upper band = CRTL+F (Flaps Up), Middle band = F (Combat flaps), lower band = SHIFT+F (landing flaps)

When I go in-game, I can get combat flaps and landing flaps, but when I return to the upper band area, the flap starts to move, but returns to combat flaps position.

-Chris

As far I remember LOMAC ignores the flaps command when flaps are currently moving. So perhaps when your slider is in lower (landing) position - you try to go to upper (flaps-up) position - but as your slider goes through middle position you will start move flaps to combat position - and your "up" command will be ignored because the flaps are already moving into combat position in time when the "flaps-up" command is issued.

Could be wrong however ...

the only problem with that coldcrew is that it is possible to get out of sync with the flap position using a "toggle" switch (ie "f")

you get in a situation where you press f thinking your flaps are running up from stage 1 position but infact they were up and are now running down.

should you have seperate keys for up and down that is minimised to an extent. you would never inadvertantly raise flaps when u meant to lower them, which can be quite a dangerous situation to be in if done at the wrong time.

cobra_sig01.jpg

Just two keys are needed IMO: one notch flaps down key, one notch flaps up key.

Simple and natural.

The only problem I have with that is that if you hit flap-down key twice by accident at high speed then your flaps will break out of your wing (it happened to me already in SU-25T - not sure whether ED modelled this for other planes). If it is not this easy to put your flaps into landing position in real life then I would restrict the flaps-down key for "combat flaps" position only - you shouldn't be able to use flaps-down key to put flaps into landing position - I would recommend other key for that.

a very valid point Roman.

i guess you are talking about mulitple presses in close together. this is almost the same problem as having the same key do both up and down and it registering an unwanted key stroke.

perhaps if they only allowed the flaps to move one stage at a time regardless of key presses, then once it is down and fixed in that position the next press would move it to the next stage. that way you could press the key as many times as you like while the flaps are in a transit position and it would still stop at the next notch?

having said all this, i doubt very much we are going to see it implemented so i guess it is all just food for thought for the devs.

cobra_sig01.jpg

Or you could simply look down in your cockpit like real pilots and see that position your flaps are currently in before changing it

LOL

yeah that would work, too.

Just out of curiosity, how many flap positions do real Su27 have?

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P