Is there a way to hide the control stick?

zakmichaels

Did a search but didn't find this....

I bought the TM Warthog HOTAS so I'd like to "hide" the animated control stick since it obstructs the view of other cockpit controls. I thought there was a keyboard command to do this in DCS Blackshark (but I'm not sure???). Is there such a thing in A-10C?

Thanks in advance,

Zak

The PMDG 747's for FSX allow you to click on the control column and it shifts to let you see the front panel better. Such a system could possibly work for the A-10C. I.e. an option that shifts the stick down a bit and back a bit to allow you to see those switches easily.

Cheers

Stuntie

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1 I'd like to see an option to hide the stick too.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Because we dont have the same agility in our head movement,imho.In fsx L39 its posible to hide it too and its very useful sometimes.

I guess....I don't have a problem seeing anything....When they are strapped into the seat they don't have much movement honestly....

• Like 1

I see their point if you have the WH hotas in front of you then having a 2nd one on screen takes away from the realism for those players, you don't fly the real one with 2 sticks in front of you..

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

You don't fly the real one looking at your stick either. ;)

You fly the real one looking outside the aircraft, through your hud, and at your instruments.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

To me that takes away realism, our pilots can't hide the stick why would we want to?

To me, by having the actual control stick in my lap, having the "virtual" stick in front of me takes away from the realism. And, by removing the "virtual" stick, I would have an unobstructed view of the front dash which would be more realistic.

Guest Cayenne

Almost every sim lets you hide the stick/yoke cause its in your physical hand, cant get much more realism than that! But I must say its the most awesome stick i have ever seen in a sim animated trim button?? come-on!..how bout a toggle within options and I can use up all those clock cycles for something more useful like FRAME RATES. If your going to put so much in the stick then you should put snakes in the grass...

Er, Cayenne, if the stick animations are causing FPS problems for you then you should change your signature to include the 386 processor you are running... Of all the things to go FPS budget on you just had to select the one thing that has pretty much the smallest impact of anything in the simulator? :P

I expect you'd possibly save something like a millionth of an FPS on removing stick animation. :P

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I expect you'd possibly save something like a millionth of an FPS on removing stick animation. :P

Just the FIX I was looking for!!!!!:megalol::music_whistling: And Remember, That coffee cup in your lap adds to FPS Decrease, not to mention it spills when Inverted!!! DAMN.

Edited by celticcoho

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Celticcoho (OriginFreedom)

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

Guest Cayenne

""You fly the real one looking outside the aircraft, through your hud, and at your instruments.""

You ever try Tir, on ILS looking at the HSI trying to track the CDI to line up on the localizer?

side note, I have My head position where it belongs in an A-10 not the default DCS midget sitting on the front edge of His seat.

Guest Cayenne

I read an article about an animated head for FS9 was over 100k lines of code. Yea I know apples and oranges.

So how many lines of code do you think are involved with the "stick" one???

If user moves button on Joy1 then move same button on $tick

If you don't think those precious clock cycles could be used for something better than good for You.

You ever try Tir, on ILS looking at the HSI trying to track the CDI to line up on the localizer?

Yup, and I have no problem with it.

side note, I have My head position where it belongs in an A-10 not the default DCS midget sitting on the front edge of His seat.

Ah, so you have made it hard for yourself on purpose! That explains it. :D

I sit such that I can see the HUD, the mirrors, and all instruments at the same time. No problem with anything being obscured. If I understand your position right you are basically sat at a spot where you can barely see anything on the HUD - that's as far back as I have to go to experience the issue you are describing, and that's just self-gimping.

I guess you could just replace the stick textures with transparent ones in a mod if you like.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

So how many lines of code do you think are involved with the "stick" one???

Err, you aren't a programmer, I assume?

Extra lines of code for the stick? I'd expect nothing in the actual real code (it's just part of the cockpit), and maybe 20 or 30 lines of LUA or something like that, maybe a wee bit more, You don't individually hardcode every single element.

The 100k lines of code for the animated head would only compare if what you were requesting was to completely remove the entire 3D cockpit and replace it with a 2D one. Good luck getting followers for that idea. ;)

By your logic - how many lines of code would there be for the terrain? Imagine it, lines of code for every building so that it can be destroyed... ... ;)

If you don't think those precious clock cycles could be used for something better than good for You.

Again - how many clock cycles are you talking about?

Like I said: congratulations, you saved something like a millionth of an FPS. Congratulations, that'll really help you out. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Guest Cayenne

" come-on!..how bout a toggle within options "<--So I guess You would leave it on and I would turn it off. I would like having the choice it is very impressive programming and I do like the visual realism. I'm not as good as You so when I get task saturated and helmet fire in the heat of battle and the fog of war I don't have time to admire a virtual stick and the smoother the frames at that time the better....

and the smoother the frames at that time the better....

You're not listening. I'm not kidding when I say a millionth of an FPS. I'd be very surprised if it saved you even a hundredth of an FPS. And having it visible does NOT add lines of code. Having it removable DOES however add lines of code - potentially quite a few of them, since it requires a brand new functionality (that of removing cockpit elements). That is a whole new function, and a lot of development work.

So to put it like this: having it removable through a toggle would, if anything, probably make your FPS worse instead of better.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Guest Cayenne

OK, I get it! 3D animated objects don't require calculations or GPU services and makes the sim run faster. Did You tell the ME developers about this? Your preaching to the choir.....

*sigh*

I give up. You're both not listening AND putting words in my mouth. Better things to do.

Read what I wrote three times. I mean read it - the actual words. Then see if you can understand what is actually being said there, because so far you have either not read it, or don't understand it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

OK, I get it! 3D animated objects don't require calculations or GPU services and makes the sim run faster. Did You tell the ME developers about this? Your preaching to the choir.....

But you are not using Trident 9000 as a GK. Those few polygons the stick has is nothing for the GPU to handle.

Make a test, fire up DCS:BS and fly with pilot on and off, then come back and tell us if you noticed FPS increase.